I bought another Geo Metro

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
So I decided I needed to get another gas sipper and sell my current DD (90 Subaru Legacy L wagon 5-speed, still currently for sale for $1000). I scoured craigslist and found this gem for only $1200. It's a 1995 Geo Metro LSi 2-door 5-speed with only 108,835 miles on it and a full tank of gas. I am the 3rd owner, and the 2nd owner has only owned it for 2 years. It has tires that are only 20k miles old and look new and fairly new brakes (they feel like they were just installed). It runs perfectly and has enough power to accellerate up hill doing 70 MPH with me and my fiance (about 360 lbs total). Only flaws are it has a small spot of clear coat that is starting to peel on the front right fender, a couple very small dings from parking lots, and needs the air filter and oil changed as well as a cracked windshield that is low enough that it's still legal. The guy I bought it from just took it through the DEQ a couple days ago and it passed with flying colors. The allowed limits for the 2 categories that were scored were 220 PPM and my Geo only produced 7 PPM. While looking through the glove box I found the original window sticker as well as a couple business cards of the original owner. This Geo has been babied it's whole life and is a gem. I paid the asking price ($100 below KBB value) because it was in such good shape. I even have a little more leg room than my last Geo and the day-time running lights are a bonus. I do find it odd though that the passenger side mirror was an option since mine doesn't have one. Anyways, here's the pics of my new DD.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Full tank of gas is a BIG DEAL in that thing! That's like 400mi of freedom!

I need something fuel efficient for a DD... the Subaru is killing me... as you know. 24mpg FTMFL!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No A/C? Get the extra mirror, oh, and DISABLE THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. It's a rigged system that puts a lot of load on a single pin in the fuse box. It can melt down causing a fire. Headlight rewire with relays removed the load on the pin, but the pin still has load from the stupid DRL resistor.

It's really easy to disable as well.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo;1552763 said:

I need something fuel efficient for a DD... the Subaru is killing me... as you know. 24mpg FTMFL!

You think 24mpg is FTL!? LOL, I get 20mpg from my '94 Toyota Pickup, and am jumping for joy getting 23(city) and 27(all highway) from the M3! Mostly 23 though. Heavy right foot FTMFL? I'm happy with anything over 20mpg.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Kevin;1552759 said:
hahah i love how you include that is has a full tank of gas.. and woww!! 40+mpg.....
good find.

Most used cars barely have any gas in them at all. With the shape of this car being as nice as it is I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 MPG.

supra90turbo;1552763 said:

Hell yeah it is. 400-500 free miles. In my Subaru that's like $40-50 worth of gas.

Poodles;1552765 said:
No A/C? Get the extra mirror, oh, and DISABLE THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. It's a rigged system that puts a lot of load on a single pin in the fuse box. It can melt down causing a fire. Headlight rewire with relays removed the load on the pin, but the pin still has load from the stupid DRL resistor.

It's really easy to disable as well.

I never really use A/C so I don't care. I plan on getting the pass side mirror, turning all the way around while driving doesn't sound safe to me, especially at 70 MPH. How do I disable the DRL? I've never heard of this issue before.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
[video=youtube;F0x8HuimEEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0x8HuimEEQ[/video]

Leave the mirror off, and get '99 headlights. Go for less drag. The earlier sealed beams are like mini-parachutes catching air like that.

Shaeff: At least you get to have FUN in the M3, even at 20mpg... ;)

[video]http://www.streetfire.net/video/600cc-superbike-powered-geo-metro_56409.htm[/video]

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I had plenty of fun in my mom's geo metro down at the Austin Hill Country Cruise :D Keeping up with Supras in the twisties and hitting 100MPH down a huge hill :rofl:

The issue with the DRL's is that the wiring was never meant to handle them being on all the time. The grounds for the low beams go to a single pin on the fuse box. I wish I took pics, but it had melted the insulation off the wire and blackened the pin to the point it no longer worked. Could have been much worse as it was melting the fuse box casing. The DRL system runs the low beams at 80% power, so if you do a rewire and don't disable the DRL's they'll be on full power (not that it's a bad thing since yellow lights look like crap), but it's still loading that damned pin because of the resister. Easier to disable the system and run with the headlights on if you want the effect.

Here's the info on disabling the system. You don't have to cut the wires and solder, you cna just use jumpers in the connector to do the same thing so it's reversable (make sure nothing shorts). http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38806&hilit=DRL*

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo;1552774 said:
Shaeff: At least you get to have FUN in the M3, even at 20mpg... ;)

[video]http://www.streetfire.net/video/600cc-superbike-powered-geo-metro_56409.htm[/video]

Very true! (though not currently. :( I brokeded it)

I can't imagine getting 40mpg. That's just crazytalk!

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Put a turbo on it. Then itll be like the suzuki swift and chevy sprint. AND you still get 40+ mpg. I miss my chevy sprint. 3 cylinder cars can get up and go, but are a bitch to stop. lol

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my mom had one back in 96, biggest fucking bucket ever, the damn thing wouldn't run unless you pumped 91, and it fell apart on bumps..

got hit twice within 2 weeks, and my mom dropped it like a bad habit..

however, I still have a sweet spot for tiny cars that have so much potential..!

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
vIetDrIfTeR;1598609 said:
i would hate to drive that car hahahaha but whatever floats your boat

I've put over 7300 miles on my Geo since I bought it and it's actually pretty comfortable. All I need is to put in a stereo that I can plug my MP3 player into and I'll be golden. I've learned how to drive more economical and have aired up the tires 5 psi above the sidewall max and added a partial grill block and now average about 49 MPG.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
honestabe;1598638 said:
I've put over 7300 miles on my Geo since I bought it and it's actually pretty comfortable. All I need is to put in a stereo that I can plug my MP3 player into and I'll be golden. I've learned how to drive more economical and have aired up the tires 5 psi above the sidewall max and added a partial grill block and now average about 49 MPG.

Um... what? Any money you're saving is going to be spent on tires...or repairs if you have a blowout at speed. The max is there for a reason...

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Poodles;1598640 said:
Um... what? Any money you're saving is going to be spent on tires...or repairs if you have a blowout at speed. The max is there for a reason...

I'm on the ecomodder.com forums and a lot of people do this all time with no problems. Some even overinflate their tires 10 or even 20 psi above the max and never have any problems. I'm not that brave though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You've been around long enough to know that "tons of people do it without issues" isn't a good arguement ;)

I drove the piss out of my mom's geo and it only fluctuated a few MPG's no matter how I drove it. So it was more fun to drive it hard and in comfort (max tire pressure rode like shit).