How strong are the stock internals of the 1jz (in pictures)

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
At least now I know that the connecting rods are quite strong (or the Iron Block is super weak) :aigo:

This is the DriverSide of the block:

1jz_KaB00m.jpg

And this is the Passenger Side…

Image012.jpg

The long story short - Got 2x 1JZ-GTE engines from Jarco

The first one looked like this:
IMG_6305.jpg

The second one had a slight rod knock (Cyl.1 @ idle) from the day one ,still it lasted six months including 3000+ street miles ,many AutoX events ,track Days and Time Attacks ,all @ unknown power level (I guess 400+rwhp)!

So I guess - JDM engines FTW!! (or For The Boom) :wink:

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
nice, the last couple motors I have ordered one 1jz and two 2jz's have both looked like that last picture.

i guess swap your blocks out and get back on the road :) .

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Slow_Sc3;1149964 said:
nice, the last couple motors I have ordered one 1jz and two 2jz's have both looked like that last picture.

i guess swap your blocks out and get back on the road :) .

I'm done with the 1JZ ,even with my Engine setup (GT35R ,Stage 1 Cams) and a Hybrid JZA/MA Diff (from DrJonez Car) the lost displacement is a huge issue on low speed AutoX and even some tracks...

I'll look around at the auctions for the perfect low miles SC300 and go 1.5JZ :evil2:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That's why I"d only buy from Aaron or Jose.

Good luck with the 2jz blocks. I bought one from a member and it had a spun bearing, but I was going to rebuild it anyways.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
suprahero;1149988 said:
That's why I"d only buy from Aaron or Jose.

Good luck with the 2jz blocks. I bought one from a member and it had a spun bearing, but I was going to rebuild it anyways.

DM and KM are excellent sources of 1JZ with high reputation in the community ,but trust me Jarco is suppose to be the very best. The bad JDM engines is not their problem tough ,it really is us - as customers purchasing motors knowing that they either came from a junk yard or that some Japanese mysteriously decided to sell his 15 years old baby for $2000 :icon_wink

I took a chance at buying a used engine in unknown condition ,that is why next time I will purchase the whole vehicle just to make sure that I would not waste my time anymore...

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
I see a lot of engines like that from Japan. we don't import that kind of junk, hell it wouldn't make it near my cotainers. I have direct ties with auctions in Japan. One of my friends lives there, and comes back state side every month. The other friend I have goes to japan every month. Both guys know what I look for and only pick the best of the best. We start and run every car before it gets cut up, then I get them here and start them my self. shipping is expensive and can't afford to waste space. No junk here!

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I got my motor from Jose & Aaron, i poped the valve covers off, it was SUPER CLEAN :) i went no further and just replaced the gasket that looked already brand new and kept it moving. Should hear her per for the first time in a year n a half with in the next two days.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
LordDigital;1149995 said:
DM and KM are excellent sources of 1JZ with high reputation in the community ,but trust me Jarco is suppose to be the very best. The bad JDM engines is not their problem tough ,it really is us - as customers purchasing motors knowing that they either came from a junk yard or that some Japanese mysteriously decided to sell his 15 years old baby for $2000 :icon_wink

I took a chance at buying a used engine in unknown condition ,that is why next time I will purchase the whole vehicle just to make sure that I would not waste my time anymore...

I agree with you about Jarco. I bought my clip from them back in 2006 and they started the car b4 it was cut in Japan. Even had a video of it running along with the vin numbers.I also asked them to perform compression and leak down test and email me the result b4 I gave them my cc.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
OneJSupra;1150222 said:
I agree with you about Jarco. I bought my clip from them back in 2006 and they started the car b4 it was cut in Japan. Even had a video of it running along with the vin numbers.I also asked them to perform compression and leak down test and email me the result b4 I gave them my cc.

I actually still have the video of the engine with the sludge somewhere ,the only thing noticeable was some high pitch noise from the turbo thus they sold it to me as an engine with one bad turbo.

I’m sure that if I had a video of the second engine it would’ve been really hard to tell that there is a slight rod knock … it only showed up when the engine was warmed up and was not always present…

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
annoyingrob;1150254 said:
So you were driving the motor hard with a rod knock, and figure it's the motors fault you have a block window?

No no ,do not get me wrong here. This engine lasted quite a while considering that it was knocking from the initial startup ,actually on the last race we coDrove the car with Kirk Wagner who has a top 10 time in the record book on that track with his MK3- it just happened that we pushed it a little over its limit that day.

So the point here is that it was not “motors fault” ,rather it was the JDM owner’s fault. JZ engines were super strong when new ,and if well maintained they would be good for ever BUT some of the used JDM motors that we buy were apparently not maintained good enough :icon_wink

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
topgear;1150183 said:
how strong is the stock automatic transmission on soarer gt (1jz engine)
can it handle 500rwhp ?

I don't know about the automatic from a Soarer, but the stock A340e will not handle 500rwhp in stock form. It can be built by either BoostLogic or you can buy a kit from IPT and either rebuild it yourself or have someone else do it. 2quick did this to his and he's making 585rwhp. I did my wifes with the IPT kit but she's only making about 350rwhp. Good luck.
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
YotaRob;1150567 said:
Guess I got lucky on my 1j then, not sludged, a lil stain and runs perfect and sounds perfect.

It is more that I'm super unLucky with my engines.

First 7M Block ,BHG 5 miles after I purchased the car. ARP(ed) that but got a rod knock in the middle of the season.

Second 7M Block ,lasted a little over 1 year - it suffered oil starvation @ the exit of the TireRack skidPad. BHG shortly after...

Third 7m engine - the "dream build" costed me over $7000 ,lasted 220 miles of vavles hitting the pistons ... and the valves won ;)

And finally the doubleHoled 1Jz :)

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Most of the japan people dont do routine maintenance because their strict smog laws decommission most engines 50,000km for sure by 100,000km. Some of them figure it will be some poor americans future problem down the road and dont bother unless your lucky to get an engine from a guy who did care.

We are actually the lucky ones my brother runs with a honda setup for daily and I couldnt tell you how many times they try and pass off sludged ZCs.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Ouch, thats not good at all. I got mine through JHot. Took the pan off, and did not go any further, not one bit of sludge in there, and that coupled with the toyota red coolant and new belts told me that the car had been well taken care of before.