Nov 10, 2012
mi
Year: 1986.5
Engine: 7mge
Tranny: w58
Options: none
Roof: hardtop
Body: Stock
Weight Reduction: no egr/emissons no spare 1/4 tank gas weighs in at 3260 without me.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Year: 1986.5
Engine: 7m-gte
Tranny: R154
Options: None
Roof: Hardtop
Weight Reduction: Lightened and hardened 6M crank, EGR system delete, Alum cam gears, Alum flywheel, Alum pulleys, Alum DS, Kirkey Alum Road racing seat and harness bar, no PS pump or AC compressor, no spare tire, 13 Lbs Braille battery, cut out front bumper, Alum Race radiator
Added Weight: Full fuel tank, 1 gallon Alum coolant surge tank, seven quart sump, 1.5 quart oil cooler

Weight:3325 (curb weight) 1511Kg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll play along for posterity's sake with the last iteration of this particular body setup:

Year: 1989
Engine: 1jz-gte
Options: ABS, AC, power seats/mirrors
Roof: Targa
Body: Stock, MkIV TT 17x8 wheels with 255/40/17 Continental DWS tires
Weight Reduction: PWR radiator (but holds more coolant, so... a wash?), Stance coilovers, upper rear seats deleted, spare tire deleted, most sound deadening deleted (argh, damn previous owners), JZA70 hatch carpet in place of board/side bins, light weight driver...
Added Weight: Full fuel tank, some extra audio equipment, small fire extinguisher, 4 point Cusco roll cage, couple snow scrapers

Weight: 3700 lbs (curb weight), 3820 lbs (me in it), 1681-1736 kg

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Year: 88
Engine: 1.5JZ
Trans: R154
Options: Power steering/ABS
Roof: Targa
Body: Stock, MKIV with 235/45/17 & 275/40/17. Coil overs, koyo rad, ac delete, spare tire delete.
Added weight: Me & 1/2 tank

Weight: 3665 with me in it. and 3400 with out me

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Year: 1987
Engine: 7MGTE
Options: ABS
Roof: Sunroof
Weight Reduction: no spare, no rear seats, no cruise, no a/c, 1 piece aluminum DS, no emissions equipment
Added Weight: Full tank of gas

Weight: 3420

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Engine: 1JZGTE
Options: LSD
Weight Reduction: As much as possible up to that point (several years ago, was still my daily driver)
Added Weight: 24x12x4 fmic
Weight: 2780 gas was low, light was close to turning on

Several years later and I'm trying to think of everything I've removed since I weighed it. The number is my guess at how much each assembly weighs based on feeling it. I always guess lower because I'd rather be surprised when the car weighs even less than I'm expecting. I'm sure there's more but right now what I can remember is:
25 3" catback exhaust (long with 4" carbon ti muffler and cat-replacing resonator)
35 side windows with motors and controls/rails/brackets
5 side trim
5 rear center section
20 replace rear and 1/4 glass with smaller lexan with no trim
4 hatch shocks
8 spare tire well (weighed on scale)
10 headlights and motors
2 center console and armrest
7 dashboard
10 both door panels
8 front and rear mudflaps
12 power steering pump, lines, reservoir
5 battery tray and more misc brackets

Added: external wastegate (never held it, no idea how much it weighs)

Then when I'm at the track:
15 remove passenger seat (not stock)
1 remove grill
2 remove parking light
5 remove headlight cover assembly
2 shorten intake
15 remove rear bumper

I weigh around 135.

Everything is in pounds.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
My updated guess was pretty close, it's clear the original scale I used a few years ago was accurate.
The removal of the passenger seat is the only "at the track" weight reduction from my previous post that was done for this weigh in.

This is with ALL body panels AND a full cage. Running engine of course, 1jz with driftmotion ct26.

The stock gas gauge was showing 1/8 tank of gas.

I'm still planning on removing weight from the doors (the plan is to make them just like stevenr816's). One of the other things I can do is change my giant 24x12x4 FMIC to a smaller, lighter one. I can also change to a lexan windshield with bracing, and I've heard the clutch fan setup is a little bit lighter than the hydrofan assembly. But I'm a firm believer in "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" so I'm not necessarily planning on changing any of that. There is more sheet metal I could cut out, however I don't want to swiss cheese the front because I need to keep the correct pressure zones in the engine bay for cooling. There's more weight I could cut out from the rear but I have no plans on doing that.

This rounds to 56 front / 44 rear.

It will be interesting to see if my lap times go down with a full tank of gas
I need to run to chevron to get some more rear ballast :biglaugh:

imagejpeg_1_2.jpg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
AGlobalThreat;1914460 said:
I need to run to chevron to get some more rear ballast :biglaugh:

imagejpeg_1_2.jpg
Very nice man. True story though, weight of fuel does change handling a bit. People wonder why I tend to race with a full tank, I tell them it's for traction reasons. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aurastephen;1917539 said:
Engine: 7mgte
Weight Shaving: no a/c, no heatercore, interior, most of dash gone other then dash skin, lightweight buckets every metal tab cut off, fiberglass hood.
Weight: 2600 lbs
Did you happen to forget the subframes? :p

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Made a stop at the truck weigh scales. 2JZGTE vvti swap. R154. 17x8 rims. Stock glass. Stock bucket seats. Stock bumper crash beams. Gutted interior. Lightweight flywheel. Few other minor things like holesaw holes and cut off brackets. No gas. No driver. 3090 pounds.