How do you fell about buying parts off Ebay for your MK3?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
1987 Supra N/A (AUTO) is what i have at the moment.

So i am not very ebay friendly and i just got my supra but as for as parts go on ebay they seem a bit cheaper... Would you trust them?

As some of you know from my other threads i am looking for a exhaust and well i found some mufflers on ebay for like $80 and under would these be ok?

This is my plan i need to collect a CAT,Header and Muffler and then do custom piping every thing i've heard is to go with 2.5" so thats what i am doing.

My main question is from every thing you just read do you see a problem as long as keep to a 2.5" inlet/outlit on all the parts ?

Please don't post if your just going to come and say i am a idiot or my car sucks,I seen some of this and well i just don't want to deal with anything like that. Just looking for some help/tips thanks.

Last edited:

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If you plan on ever going turbo I wouldn't waste your money on anything exhaust related now, especially with ebay stuff that you're likely going to have to wrestle with. And if you are planning to stay NA go will an exhaust kit that includes a header at least.

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
Ive got a Magnaflow on mine with Megan Racing Turbo back piping and love it. DO NOT buy a N1 unless it is a true Apexi N1. But like Canuckrz said if you ever plan on going turbo dont waste your money outfitting it with a full exhaust. If you plan on going turbo you could always do a 3" axle back.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
It's back and forth on things on eBay. I try for the simple things anything else I just pay my money for.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdub;1313203 said:
I fell and can't get up ;)

JDub>>>
turtle.jpg

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
ha ha. The only good things I see on ebay are replacement parts. Like interior and other shit. Other than that its HPF.

Attachments

• israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg
    israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 7

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
I do it all the time, you need to know what you are looking for, what it should cost and most important.... make sure the seller is minimum in the high 90's if not 100%

Of course some stuff is pure scam like some turbos, ics, etc.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
NTRA08;1313255 said:
ha ha. The only good things I see on ebay are replacement parts. Like interior and other shit. Other than that its HPF.

Good advice! Used stock parts is all ebay is good for. As stated, most cheap parts will be hard to deal with, and not last long (in comparison to full price/quality parts) once you make it work.

mdr40z;1313259 said:
I do it all the time, you need to know what you are looking for, what it should cost and most important.... make sure the seller is minimum in the high 90's if not 100%

Of course some stuff is pure scam like some turbos, ics, etc.

99.9% is not even good on sellers who have 30,000 feedback ratings. If you click on the feedback, you will see 15 negatives in the last month and suck. Look only at the negative feedbacks, and read the comments. Some buyers are dumb asses, but read the replies, and you will get a better idea what you are dealing with. Note...click on 200 at the bottom of the page, and scroll through 200 feedbacks at a time looking for the red. This is a good way to rule out high volume trash sellers.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
ForcedTorque;1313274 said:
99.9% is not even good on sellers who have 30,000 feedback ratings. If you click on the feedback, you will see 15 negatives in the last month and suck. Look only at the negative feedbacks, and read the comments. Some buyers are dumb asses, but read the replies, and you will get a better idea what you are dealing with. Note...click on 200 at the bottom of the page, and scroll through 200 feedbacks at a time looking for the red. This is a good way to rule out high volume trash sellers.

This is good advise. I have been able to find a lot of good parts on Ebay over the years. However, I don't use Ebay has a "Parts Store." I do a lot of research and decide on exactly what I want. Then I look specifically for that part until I find it in the right condition and at the right price. SM has a wealth of information for you on pretty much everything. Search is you new friend.:boink:

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Buying legitimate aftermarket or oem products new or used off ebay is good. Buying cheap knockoffs such as that muffler is bad. Thats a knockoff of an Apex-i N1 muffle. Its bad for 2 reasons.

1 Its bad for you. You will always stuggle with fitment. It will produce inferior performance. If you looking for sound it wont produce that either, it wont sound good just noisy. and finally in a year you will be under there replacing it cuz it rusted out.

2 Its bad for the tuning community at large. companies like Apex-i and HKS spend thousands in R&D on every product they produce. This is why the products cost more. The money in R&D allows them to make products that perform and sound great, fit perfectly, and last a long time. Then companies in china buy one, and then pump out cheap replicas to make a quick buck. This is pirating the revenue that the real company was counting on to pay for that R&D as well as tarnish their name to some extent. (for example many people think buddy club is junk because the high flow of buddy club replica body kits and shit on ebay. In reality buddy club is a reputable tuning company) Anyway, these companies are robbed of thier revenue, which drives up the cost of the real parts. because of the increase price people cant afford them, so the good companies stop producing them due to lack of demand (go try and find a set of HKS cams for the 7m today). then the chinese companies have nothing to copy. Now we have no aftermarket support and a great company will go out of business. (trust co. jpn declared bankruptcy like 6 months ago.) So everyone looses except the chinese make a quick buck.

Save up the extra bucks and buy the quality part, you will be glad you did. In fact, if noone bought the knockoffs and everyone bought the legitimate parts it would reduce the fixed cost per unit and the cost of these parts may actually go down, or they would funnel the additional revenue into making more great parts for our cars.

sorry i wrote a book