Hot Weather Run... BETTER ANGLE NOW!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
IndyMK3;1357061 said:
wow... i really like this angle... im gona have to check out this cam. mount when we run into each other around town... lol

Thanks! Yeah, it keeps changing all the time, but I often have the tripod IN the car one way or other!;)

-crisp

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Was surprised how much it raised the nose when you got on it, sounds like a very rare setup (the price tells me why LOL) and it looks to ride nicer than mine (damn stiff but a nice heavy car makes it ok)

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Poodles;1357357 said:
Was surprised how much it raised the nose when you got on it, sounds like a very rare setup (the price tells me why LOL) and it looks to ride nicer than mine (damn stiff but a nice heavy car makes it ok)

Yeah, front lifts hard, and rear is squatting pretty good after all these years under launch, but TRACTION control of the kit works really well, and ride "suspend" quality, both pre-load and damping are quite good, so I'm really happy with it.;)

I had the TOKIKO/Suspension Techniques setup on my MKII, and it was so harsh, the car rode like a go-kart, but highway noise, ride, and especially ROUGH PAVEMENT ride were unpleasant. I suspect a track may make me think twice, but for street, this is pretty good stuff.:icon_bigg

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
black89t;1358503 said:
nice vids man!!!

Thanks! I keep wishing I could EXTERNAL MOUNT it on the front bumper near road level or something! Hmmm... that gives me an idea...:naughty:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
carter;1360953 said:
what turbo do you have on your car?

That's the CT-26 with H3 trim (T04b-type, I believe) by TEC. (Turbo Engineering Corp.) I don't know if they still do these for our cars... it was a loooong time ago when I picked this one up, but I did use two of them over the years, and they both served (and continue to serve) me well!

Heck, I JUST turned over 100,000 miles in the supra TODAY!;)

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
carter;1360965 said:
Where in ohio are you? cuz if i remember right you said you've been to mansfield and well thats where i'm at.

That's the "mid-point" where I met up with the car's owner when we made the deal back in '95 when I bought it! We did the transaction in the McDonald's just south off SR 30. I took my FIRST test drive in this car on the four lane out front in mid-February weather.

...funny... I JUST passed through there IN the Supra a week ago and got gas at the Speedway... or BP or whatever it was right next to McD's.

-crisp

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
lol nice, I was down the road all last week lol kinda sucks but yea, here this weekend or next there will be a couple supra owners come to the local sr, which isnt to be or major but its just nice to hangout and talk ya know.

You should come lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1001_touch_you_here.jpg

Where did he touch you? ;)

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
tekdeus;1364890 said:
How much faster does your turbo spool with the IJ head vs stock?

Interesting question! I think the answer is: Depends.;)

The CAM TIMING clearly has a MUCH bigger impact on the spool-up time than I had realized. Having played around with about 8~10 different cam pulley settings over the past couple months in several concentrated sessions (seat-of-pants, not dyno tuning) I am noticing interesting changes in when/where/how quick/etc... the turbo spools, along with OTHER characteristics related to the cam changes. Low as opposed to high-end power... mid-grunt changes, EGT changes (BIG difference out of a couple degrees on pulleys!) AND fuel consumption changes. You can actually FEEL the change (to a degree) when you hand-rotate the crank through the compression cycle from certain cam pulley settings to others. I have also played with separation between lobe centers (increased due to 280 cams causing too much overlap if left at "stock" centers) and so forth. With my latest settings, I am running 200~300 degrees COOLER EGT levels than where I was before, and the overall thermal effects to the motor have also changes. Although my STOCK :cry: temp gauge hasn't shown a change, I can FEEL less heat off the motor after a run with the increased cam lobe separation (LESS overlap) and slight ADVANCE to both IN and EX cams from the last tune. On the other hand, a "softer" top-end rush, but still full boost all the way to limiter, so the gain in lower end spool and smoother off-to-on boost transition make it more desirable.

Currently, the CT/H3 spool can swing 15psi already at 3,200RPM or so, whereas at the more "radical" tuning for TOP-END (awesome rush, but later spool) was taking until around 3,800RPM to full spool. That's a pretty big difference for advancing cams a few degrees and adding an extra degree or two of lobe-center separation.;)

NOTE: It will actually "spool" much HIGHER psi already at those r's... but whatever it's set at (currently 15~16psi normal) it hits max at 3,200. If I dial 18psi, it will do that level at same early rpm level, but I'm wanting to stay on the conservative boost level range for now.;)

I'll be interested in seeing what happens with the 35GT BOSS housing setup that I'm expecting to arrive any day now.:biglaugh:

One other note, I went from a 1.2mm HKS mhg to the 2.0 stopper, and I don't know if the SMALL change in compression makes a difference? Since my prior head HAD been milled, and I believe IJ's was a "fresh" head, I'm assuming there could be about 2mm or so of overall difference there, too. Don't know if that will affect the spool a little? (apples to apples... which it is not anyway!) Also, relative the IJ head... overall, it's just superior in every "head related" flow/behavior respect to the prior stockies I'd used. Even QUIETER despite the bigger valves and cams. I really think it needs the bigger turbo to begin to REALLY shine, though...;)

-crisp