Holy Grail of all Hot Hatchbacks - and it's NOT a Honda Civic

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I dont get why you guys dont like it - is it a shape thing, or just cause its in poor condition?

This is what they're supposed to look like in tip top condition:

SunbeamLotus01.JPG.w560h405.jpg

They didn't make very many of them before Rootes went bye bye (thanks to Chrysler's piss poor management), and the amount of surviving examples is in the low hundreds. Hence why that one on eBay is $3k or so, cause it *needs* a rebuild. In mint condition, they fetch about $16k as seen here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2349305.htm

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Close to $4K (yes, US) and reserve isn't met. It's an interesting car and one of the rare RWD hatchbacks. Performance is respectable as well, but still, that's a lot of cash for such a car...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'll tell you why I don't like it....it looks way way to much like a chevette.

1-chevrolet-chevette.jpg

!B8PkePQBGk~$(KGrHqN,!iMEzN9OnYO(BM2d0mgUYg~~_35.JPG

That guy is crazy I also would bet he will never finish it dude. Look at the date of the first post in that thread and then the last post. He also lists his bodywork skills as...I have spray painted some furniture once.....Not a good sign. I guess if it were me I just wouldn't invest all that IMMENSE time and energy into a car that is not all that pleasent on the eye or very universally recognizable. If you flipped that picture for someone to see, gave them 10 seconds then flipped it away I garrentee 99% of people would think it was a Golf, Rabbit or Chevette.

I do however totally agree with you that under that very plain appearance are some really cool and unique features. Especially considering it was built in 1980!

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I'm guessing its an American thing, regarding looks. Cause i know of very few people here that wouldn't tear their limbs off for a Lotus Sunbeam :/

Side by side with a Chevette - it doesn't look very similar to me - the Chevette being longer, and having a 'droop snoot'.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraMedical68;1659794 said:
Yeah, the body lines of the MKIII aren't exactly in style anymore...

Funny, I got tons of compliments even in my banged up Supra. Hourglass bodylines are ALWAYS in style, and so are popups (but were killed by crash standards).

The Lotus Sunbeam is utilitarian transport with a big engine stuffed in it. It's like the SHOgun, just not as cool :rofl: