Holset HX35

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
I would like to have input on what you guys who run them think, Ive been digging through threads and cant seem to find what i want to know. Im curious about doing this since you can use the stock manifold with the t3 adapter, but if i did this should i remove the internal wastegate already on the turbo and just go external? What kind of WHP and tq is this been known to handle? they seem like a great idea, so how come their arent more supra guys doing this?

Ive even checked youtube and was surprised that there were no supras with this turbo. so if anyone has some pictures or videos please post. Thats what i would really like to see. Ive seen nothing but good things about this turbo, and i have more questions just cant think of them at the moment.

Thanks, marcus

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I think most people haven't gone with the HX35 because it is some what rare to the non-diesel world. Unless you have access to diesel parts, you most likely won't find it.

Now, the HY35 - its every where. It also has the smaller 9cm housing which is equated to instant positive manifold pressure at the flick of the throttle pedal.

Also, I think most supra guys who do run a holset have gone with the biggest they could find. I know there is a guy in Europe some where that has a HX60 or HX55 supra mk3, that runs the mile around 200mph.

FYI.....

-Hy35, flows approx 57 lbs/min
-Hx35, flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-He351cw (Spools faster than the hx35, but makes the same power) flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-Hx40, flows approx 70.10 lbs/min
-Hx45 (can't find the flow at this time)
-Hx50/52 or 55. flows approx 99.20 lbs/min
-Hx60 (Notice I didn't say HT60), flows approx 125.66 lbs/min
-Hx82, flows approx 198.42 lbs/min

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for the reply, ive been looking thrugh old threads and i see were you help alot. Did you ever finsh your build aslo? i saw were u used a holset
Do you have any stilling around for sale?

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I have a complete Holset Hy35 setup for sale right now. Look through the FS sections.

I did have a completed Holset setup up and running around 2002. I have a current project (racing) that is going back with the Holset HE351CW

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Are u still running ct26 marco?
I find it pretty cool that you could but a $40 adapter, 38mm wastegate and 3'downpipe then youve got a good setup. If diesels use these at 40+psi i dont see why more people dont go this route.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
I am just about done with my new turbo setup, I'm using a fresh hy-35 (smaller exhaust housing) mainly because I love the instant boost. I would not use the stock internal wastegate though, as you will likely have problems with over boost, I welded mine shut and am running a HKS 40mm.
p1494038_1.jpg

p1494038_2.jpg

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I've got a running 1JZ / HE351 setup right now. It's nothing special and I built it on the cheap being patient and sourcing parts over a year. Nonetheless, it pulls hard even at 8psi. It reaches full boost just over 3K rpms. I took a couple really crappy videos in the last few days to throw on my sale thread to show it running. I've got it for sale right now but I'm leaning toward keeping it. Here's the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN94N5nV8Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjE6PZ-rNg

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
x87SUPRA87x;1494188 said:
actually, while we are on the holset topic, what size drain are you running on yours Jon?

Im running / have run a -10. Do not go any thing smaller.

rob21a48422;1494355 said:
I've got a running 1JZ / HE351 setup right now. It's nothing special and I built it on the cheap being patient and sourcing parts over a year. Nonetheless, it pulls hard even at 8psi. It reaches full boost just over 3K rpms. I took a couple really crappy videos in the last few days to throw on my sale thread to show it running. I've got it for sale right now but I'm leaning toward keeping it. Here's the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN94N5nV8Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjE6PZ-rNg

Bravo. Bravo. Nice setup. Would like to see some under the hood pics. Also, for all of you Holset guys - be sure to fess up and claim that you are part of the Holset Supra Mafia

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
MDCmotorsports;1494804 said:
Im running / have run a -10. Do not go any thing smaller.
The reason I ask is the holset's opening is around 7/8ths, right around what the CT uses. THe only thing I can find is -10 and smaller, I just wanted to make sure running a -10 would be okay.

thanks!

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
Also running -10 drain and HKS long runner manifold with adapter. FFIM, IS300 coils, and a checkvalve pcv system are soon to be added this winter.

Turbo87targa: You can check my setup out when I get it back together. I'm in SW Denver and will more than likely make a trip to CO Springs to visit family soon.

Attachments

• DSCN0639.jpg
    DSCN0639.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 260

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
kneedragger85;1500349 said:
Also running -10 drain and HKS long runner manifold with adapter. FFIM, IS300 coils, and a checkvalve pcv system are soon to be added this winter.

Turbo87targa: You can check my setup out when I get it back together. I'm in SW Denver and will more than likely make a trip to CO Springs to visit family soon.

Your input is most interesting of all seeing as how we are both altitude challenged here lol. Are those numbers in your sig from a dyno in Denver?
What rpm do you see peak boost?

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
turbo87targa;1504157 said:
Your input is most interesting of all seeing as how we are both altitude challenged here lol. Are those numbers in your sig from a dyno in Denver?
What rpm do you see peak boost?
Dyno was actually done at 700ft in Ohio with no exhaust wrap outside at 103*F on 93 octane with conservative/safe timing/tune for being a daily driver. My intake hardpipe above the exhaust partially melted/warped during the session. I'm on a street tune now with exhaust wrap and obviously running 91. To be honest, the minute it was off the dyno, I drove to Chicago and then to Colorado so I don't remember much about the boost characteristics at low altitude for comparison.

Everything will pretty much change with the FFIM, IS coils, Lightweight flywheel, and a now finally dialed in synchronic wastegate. The wastegate used to open around 9psi killing spool till I put in the preload spring and adjusted it to open around 14-15psi and settling in at 17psi.

Before I took it apart, full boost was mid 3k with the exception of first gear which was about 4k i think. Going up I-70 into the mountains I had boost in 5th gear around 2k rpms due to the incline/load and had no trouble shooting up the mountain.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
kneedragger85;1504509 said:
Dyno was actually done at 700ft in Ohio with no exhaust wrap outside at 103*F on 93 octane with conservative/safe timing/tune for being a daily driver. My intake hardpipe above the exhaust partially melted/warped during the session. I'm on a street tune now with exhaust wrap and obviously running 91. To be honest, the minute it was off the dyno, I drove to Chicago and then to Colorado so I don't remember much about the boost characteristics at low altitude for comparison.

Everything will pretty much change with the FFIM, IS coils, Lightweight flywheel, and a now finally dialed in synchronic wastegate. The wastegate used to open around 9psi killing spool till I put in the preload spring and adjusted it to open around 14-15psi and settling in at 17psi.

Before I took it apart, full boost was mid 3k with the exception of first gear which was about 4k i think. Going up I-70 into the mountains I had boost in 5th gear around 2k rpms due to the incline/load and had no trouble shooting up the mountain.
nice!
Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. I dont know how much the coils and ffim will help since I don't have those but I felt a huge difference with my lightweight fw and ds.
That's weird about the altitude, when I drove mine here from Tennessee I never really felt a difference either....I wonder how much of a difference it actually makes...