HKS S-AFR Problem

Anh

Apr 6, 2005
London
Hi all,

Couldn't find anything in the search relating to the problem I'm having with the HKS S-AFR with the 7M-GTE. The unit lets me adjust all the settings, and the cylinder number, but the problems I'm having is

1) After setting up the cylinder number (6) - and then "saving" this setting by pulling the DIP switch 4 down to "On", the car will not respond to throttle after restarting the car. The RPM readings is 50% more than what is on the car's tach after you restart the car too.

2) The response settings are gone when you turn off the car and restart it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
make sure that you have the correct power supply and ground. although, it sounds like you haven't set it properly. the unit will save whatever settings you put in it. so if the read out is different from what you think you set, then you might be saving the wrong stuff. also. make sure that you actually reset it before beginning so that the old settings don't stay in the memory. I have a write up somewhere that I did while helping someone else. If I find it, I will get it for you. good luck!

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Turn the key to the on position, set yoru number of cylinders, start the engine, then pull the dip switch down.

Anh

Apr 6, 2005
London
Thanks Supralover - hope you're right on this one.

Tubbie, I have did exactly what you suggested, as I followed the instructions. DIP switch 4 is set "OFF", karman vortex is selected.

I turn key to ON, and the unit will flash "2", I turn the response knob to set it to 6 cylinders. I then start the car, leaving idle % at 0 and turn the response knob back down to 0.

I then push the DIP switch 4 to ON, and all seems fine. Engine will rev in response to throttle as normal.

I switch off the engine and restart, the car will idle fine. But will not rev to changes in throttle and it shows the wrong RPM reading - 50% higher than the tach. Its as if the unit was reset back to 4 cylinders or something.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Anh said:
Thanks Supralover - hope you're right on this one.

Tubbie, I have did exactly what you suggested, as I followed the instructions. DIP switch 4 is set "OFF", karman vortex is selected.

I turn key to ON, and the unit will flash "2", I turn the response knob to set it to 6 cylinders. I then start the car, leaving idle % at 0 and turn the response knob back down to 0.

I then push the DIP switch 4 to ON, and all seems fine. Engine will rev in response to throttle as normal.

I switch off the engine and restart, the car will idle fine. But will not rev to changes in throttle and it shows the wrong RPM reading - 50% higher than the tach. Its as if the unit was reset back to 4 cylinders or something.

I have the exact same problem with my one. I havent sorted it out because I am busy rebuilding my engine.

Cheers,
Roy

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
How do I reset the S-AFR to complete factory defaults? If I disconnect the battery, will that do it? Or is it one of the jumpers inside the S-AFR?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Flip switch 4 up. That will clear the engine configuration, cylinders, and the learned air flow and throttle signal. I don't think it will clear the set rpm points, correction percentage or response configuration. You'll have to verify those manually.