HID question

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
In the truck this setup was fine. And the autopal(hella) lens I had with the bi-xenon bulbs where bad on blinding traffic. The real problem was after months of use the lights when bonkers and operated when they wanted to. I wasn't sure if this was due to the magic blue box under the dash and a imbalance of power draw or what

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
1986.5supra_kid;1984018 said:
GrimJack:
While on the topic of HID did you power each ballast individually via the head light plug to each side or did you pull power to both ballast from one headlight plug? i got a ebay "kit" and it pulled from one plug only and soon the headlights started going bonkers(headlights go up and down,turn on when they feel like it) Reverted back to incandesant ever since.
I picked up a wiring harness from http://theretrofitsource.com - it has it's own power leads, and just uses the OEM plug for a switching signal so it knows when to turn the light on and off. I've been running it for a long time, and haven't had a problem to date.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
had mine right on the side of the beside the battery and on the otherside in the same place. using 1 10 MM screw.

I've since ditched the HID's because of the shitty ballast always failing and never been happier. I'll try LED's eventually

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Had a buddy try the LEDs and he hated them. Went right back to his HID. Said the LEDs were bright but not as good or bright as the HID he was using before hand. I was getting flashed constantly and had his headlight aimed down pretty far. They just had a crazy amount of glare to them.
Chris

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If by LEDs you mean a standard halogen bulb swap with an Ebay replacement LED bulb, then that will never work. However. dedicated LED headlamps are starting to appear, and in a few years I suspect will improve enough to replace HIDs on high-end cars. They've already taken over the night time cycling market, and some of the high end lights are amazing.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;1984421 said:
If by LEDs you mean a standard halogen bulb swap with an Ebay replacement LED bulb, then that will never work. However. dedicated LED headlamps are starting to appear, and in a few years I suspect will improve enough to replace HIDs on high-end cars. They've already taken over the night time cycling market, and some of the high end lights are amazing.

I believe the new Mercedes S-Class uses all LEDs for every single light on the car. It's crazy some of the stuff it can do with the headlights.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
craigh310;1985026 said:
LED conversion lights. I know Aku, on here is running them, still expensive.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=92027

They come up as $220 a piece on Amazon so $440 for a full set. I have about $350 into my projector retrofit, so going that route is a little cheaper but involves a lot more work and time. From what I have seen I think the retrofitted projectors still have better performance than these LED lights, but I'm sure in a few years they will be just as good if not better. Maybe they will make them look a little nicer in the coming years as well, I think they look a little funny, but I guess that doesn't really matter to us since we have pop-ups.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I think the projector retrofit would look much better than the LEDs. I have done a few retrofits on different cars. I have a set of sealed beam conversion assemblies on my car now and have been debating on going all out later on and doing a full retrofit.

Chris

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah I care too. I like the way the projectors look as well, I think it looks better than the original Halogens also.

Definitely do the retrofit. It's so nice!!!!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Would LOVE to have some bi xenons, but cash flow is low right now.. and my car needs other things.. like new wheels and tires. And a turbo. Lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I've had bi-xenon on a few cars and unless you have projectors with moveable shields you don't get the full benefit of the bi-xenon IMO. I have them on my Honda with an E46 retrofit and they were great. One day I will wire it back up.

Chris

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Backlash2032;1986085 said:
Isn't that what a bi xenon is? A moveable shield for high beams and low beams?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

This is what I think of when I hear Bi-Xenon. I think Chris is using the term Bi-Xenon to mean plug and play HID kit.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Bixenon just means that the ballast stays powered up during high beam use. Most cars with OEM bixenon have moveable shields inside the projectors. But function of the ballast is the same whether PnP or not.

Chris