HID question

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Where is everybody mounting their Ballasts at? If you have pics that would help. Just to put it out there I don't need or want to hear smart ass answers so if that's you just keep trolling.

Chris

Last edited:

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I know under the headlights, too many moving parts to mount elsewhere without extending the wires. Anybody have any pics of how/where they mounted theirs.

Chris

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I used a hole with a nut and bolt. It's not conplicated.

Can also put them on the other side in the engine compartment.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I'm just concerned with the headlight moving up and down and don't want to damage the wires for my ballasts or bulbs. I'm fully aware of how to bolt something to the car, ass. What I am looking for isPICTURES of where under the headlight or other viable options people have used, I guess I need to spell out what I'm looking for make it easier to read I guess even though I thought I was pretty clear. I mean how hard is it to read and see I was asking for pictures. I expected more from a mod, I mean people on here clown Honda owners but at least on those forums the mods actually help by reading and contributing more than smartass answers.

Chris

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Chris_87_Turbo;1983319 said:
Just to put it out there I don't need or want to hear smart ass answers so if that's you just keep trolling.

Chris

This usually never yields great results my man.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Really? Under the headlight isn't good enough? There's not going to be that many options for mounting it under the headlight. I could draw you a ms paint drawing if you would like...

Seriously though. Put the headlights down, go under the car, and see where the Fucker fits. It's not that difficult.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
Chris_87_Turbo;1983596 said:
I guess I need to spell out what I'm looking for make it easier to read I guess even though I thought I was pretty clear. I mean how hard is it to read and see I was asking for pictures.

Chris

How hard is it to bolt your ballast to a hole under the headlight? Hell, my kit came with nuts and bolts.
Bolt it on, hand crank the headlights down. If it doesn't close, bolt it somewhere else. If the wires get tight, pinch, etc., bolt it somewhere else.
If you can't figure that out, unbolt it and go back to halogen.

Nobody is going to have a picture to show you because nobody found it so difficult that they needed to take one and share with the community.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Mount it wherever it fits. Different ballasts and bulbs will have different lengths of cable and that will dictate where you can mount yours. I mounted mine to the back of the metal crash bumper using industrial strength Velcro and a large zip tie for extra security. There are many ways to mount it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, actually, I tend to take a lot of pictures, even of the most trivial crap. So...

independant_speed_shop_07.jpg

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I generally the same way GrimJack. I never know when a picture I take might either help or give somebody else and idea to improve or take it a step farther. Thank you

Chris

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
GrimJack;1983891 said:
Well, actually, I tend to take a lot of pictures, even of the most trivial crap. So...

independant_speed_shop_07.jpg

You have the bumper off so that makes it a lot easier to take pictures. I didn't take that off, instead I just got my arms through the hole where the headlight would normally be. Had I taken off the bumper then I probably would have taken pictures too. My arms also would not have looked like I just got into a fight with a gang of cats had I taken the bumper off.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Silver MK3;1983957 said:
You have the bumper off so that makes it a lot easier to take pictures. I didn't take that off, instead I just got my arms through the hole where the headlight would normally be. Had I taken off the bumper then I probably would have taken pictures too. My arms also would not have looked like I just got into a fight with a gang of cats had I taken the bumper off.

^Agreed the edges of that metal is unforgiving.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
GrimJack:
While on the topic of HID did you power each ballast individually via the head light plug to each side or did you pull power to both ballast from one headlight plug? i got a ebay "kit" and it pulled from one plug only and soon the headlights started going bonkers(headlights go up and down,turn on when they feel like it) Reverted back to incandesant ever since.

OP: I dont have pictures of my ballast placement but its a trival question. i have intercooling pipes under my headlamps so mine was placed in the engine bay and power cables where long enough to reach threw the grommet with the fuse box wires and loop around the lamp. on my truck it was easier to remove the grill and bolt on the lower rad support below lamp and there are many other scenerios like this.
You got to be creative and think outside the box. not everyone buys a 57trim ct26 some buy used turbos from diesel trucks which are large frames that dont fit like factory. there is no TRSM for this. you have to be creative to make it fit and yes its fine to ask technical questions like how do i use a relay for ground trigger from my aem to trigger my fans at 220degrees.
but for fitment of non-factory parts take this challenge to hone your engineering skills ;)

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
drogon;1983999 said:
^Agreed the edges of that metal is unforgiving.

Very much so.

Backlash2032;1984009 said:
I would have just taken the splash shield off the bottom and went from there...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

You can do that as well. Towards the end I ended up taking some long socks and cutting the feet off of them and using them as sleeves to keep my arms from getting scratched any worse.

1986.5supra_kid;1984018 said:
GrimJack:
While on the topic of HID did you power each ballast individually via the head light plug to each side or did you pull power to both ballast from one headlight plug? i got a ebay "kit" and it pulled from one plug only and soon the headlights started going bonkers(headlights go up and down,turn on when they feel like it) Reverted back to incandesant ever since.

It should not actually pull power from the headlight plug. It should have a separate power wire that goes to the positive post of the battery, a ground wire that can be grounded anywhere, a plug that plugs into the the drivers side headlight plug (this is only to control the headlights, it shouldn't be getting power from here), and then the two wires that go to the ballast for each side.

I would never go with an eBay kit, they are a waste of money and you just end up blinding everyone. Go with a quality projector retrofit and you will never look back.