HID Help

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, a while back I looked at more and found some that they wanted over $3K for but can't find them right now.

I'd be willing to make the retrofits for people if I didn't know people wouldn't pay my price...

ltzSupra

Supra Student
Jan 10, 2010
Bronx NY
If I wanted to spend that much money on my car, I'd go 2J lol. Just want some simple nice lights for the night time. So this guy says the H4 are shit and the D2S or D2R are the way to go. Anyone ever done this? And if so, what housing do they fit in and what do you have to do to get them to fit?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doesn't matter what kit it is, the chinese HID's are garbage. The ballast is cheap and fails, the bulbs are crap, and the controller is even worse. The only decent way to put HID's in a 200mm housing without a projector retrofit is to use the shields that allow the use of normal D2 HID bulbs, but you get only low beams.

You're better off doing a headlight rewire and running a quality halogen bulb in a good H4 housing (the Hella e-codes are good). Hell, you can buy ready made harnesses for the rewire that are plug and play.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ltzSupra;1603078 said:
So what housing would the D2S or D2R fit in? I can re order it from H4 to one of those.

A True HID housing.

perhaps I was not clear.

If you have to modify, glue, force, duct tape, snot glue the D2S bulb to mount it. Then it is crap as it won't have the proper cut off. Definetly no where near as defined as it needs to be.

Supra.Secret

what is the big box glare right in the dead center of every picture about 3 feet in height right on the slope of the cutoff? I thought it was your camera but every camera shot has it so it is an issue with the light pattern being ass.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
ltzSupra;1603086 said:
If I wanted to spend that much money on my car, I'd go 2J lol. Just want some simple nice lights for the night time. So this guy says the H4 are shit and the D2S or D2R are the way to go. Anyone ever done this? And if so, what housing do they fit in and what do you have to do to get them to fit?

You need to do a custom True HID Housing retroFit. Been running this set up for almost 2yrs. This is how mine turned out.

p1603169_1.jpg

p1603169_2.jpg

p1603169_3.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
figgie;1603167 said:
A True HID housing.

perhaps I was not clear.

If you have to modify, glue, force, duct tape, snot glue the D2S bulb to mount it. Then it is crap as it won't have the proper cut off. Definetly no where near as defined as it needs to be.

Supra.Secret

what is the big box glare right in the dead center of every picture about 3 feet in height right on the slope of the cutoff? I thought it was your camera but every camera shot has it so it is an issue with the light pattern being ass.

super.secret.supra.club;1578158 said:
squirrel finder. it helps to illuminate road signs. a lot of people cover that because it looks better but i need it since its a daily/nightly driver.

ltzSupra

Supra Student
Jan 10, 2010
Bronx NY
Steve_N;1603169 said:
You need to do a custom True HID Housing retroFit. Been running this set up for almost 2yrs. This is how mine turned out.

p1603317_1.jpg

p1603317_2.jpg

p1603317_3.jpg

Have a write up? Or a step by step? Where can I get my hands on these?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ltzSupra;1603317 said:

You need to do some research on this subject. Proper HID bulbs are only in the sizes that Figgie mentioned. Those bulbs only belong in a HID designed projector housing such as the ones found at the link i provided.

To make this fit into a supra headlight the projector needs to be mounted into a headlight housing that can be mounted to the supra headlight basket. This is a custom task unless you spend the 800+ on the headlights Poodles posted.

Using a HID bulb in anything other then a HID designed projector will do nothing but blind oncoming traffic and the people in front of you.

Chances are you dont "need" HID headlights, just replace the headlights you have and do a rewire.

OEM parts are very expensive because they quality parts. Anything aftermarket made is usually much inferior in quality and for something as important as headlights should not be used.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Thanks poodles. Squirrel finders were not made into every projector housing. I don't have the specifics on which ones do and which ones don't but if you google "squirrel finders" you'll find a lot of up close photos of how they cover them up and even make the cut off straight instead of having a slope

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
ltzSupra;1603317 said:

Sorry I dont have a wright up. Its a custom set up I did myself. I used Pilot H4 Housings , TSX clear lens Projectors, Lexus Shroud,Mitsu ballast & D2s bulbs. I researched HID Planet & this forum on how to do this.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Honestly $800 isn't all that bad for a bolt in HID retrofit I'd say, considering what HID's went for 8-10 years ago... Question is, are these 6054's something that you would recommend? This is one area I don't have a whole lot of experience with.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
ltzSupra;1603317 said:

You could use this as a reference to get started. You would definitely need to blackout the projector housings to make it look complete. The way I would do it is form a thin piece of acrylic to fit inside the headlight housing with a hole cut in the centre for the projector. It would be interesting to see though how well the acrylic will hold up to the heat generated from the projectors.

This guy uses a good method to form the acrylic:

[video=youtube;mg_C_jtonZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_C_jtonZw[/video]