HID Help

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Agreed. FX35 bixenon projectors are the ones to use. If you go with The Source's FX-r's (fx35 replicas), they come with pre-made mounting holes, and without all the extra casting of OEM housings that need to be trimmed off.

Don't buy ANY H4 housing and retrofit HID's in it, your money is better spent on other things (like a proper retrofit) I've been down the HID in a halogen housing road, and it's crap- plain and simple. I did an FX35 retrofit on my M3, and the light output is amazing. I will NEVER run HID's in a halogen housing again. (even if it's a halogen projector, still nowhere near a proper retrofit)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I think I have a pretty good understanding of the idea of retrofitting an HID setup, but what would you recommend for a lens shaeff? I can't imagine stock style or h4's are a good idea with the way they spread light around...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
te72;1601073 said:
I think I have a pretty good understanding of the idea of retrofitting an HID setup, but what would you recommend for a lens shaeff? I can't imagine stock style or h4's are a good idea with the way they spread light around...

The stock h4 lens doesn't spread the light around, its the reflector in the housing that creates the beam pattern. With a projector fitted into an h4 housing the front lens is just there as protection it shouldn't alter the light at all.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Incorrect, most run a fresnel lense (cibie, hella, all other major brands I can think of). You have to find the cheap ones on ebay with the clear glass on front.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
When i was looking into this i could only find housings that had lines in the plastic. Anyone know of a housing that is just clear plastic without any lines of any sort?

This is whats im talking about:
7x6projector.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles, you're saying a 5x7 clear glass housing is all we need on our cars to retrofit HID's in? That's what I was thinking, just trying to collect some experience here... Wouldn't need the reflective backing on the inside of the housing either, being projector lenses, would we?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
te72;1601073 said:
Assuming you mean the headlight housing? Any cheap ebay style clear-lens housing should work. If you can find one with a glass face (the actual lens being glass) and the rest plastic, that would be even better. Otherwise, any good looking plastic housing will be just fine.
iwannadie;1601174 said:
The stock h4 lens doesn't spread the light around, its the reflector in the housing that creates the beam pattern. With a projector fitted into an h4 housing the front lens is just there as protection it shouldn't alter the light at all.

Poodles;1601371 said:
Incorrect, most run a fresnel lense (cibie, hella, all other major brands I can think of). You have to find the cheap ones on ebay with the clear glass on front.
I'm with Poodles on this one.
te72;1601502 said:
Poodles, you're saying a 5x7 clear glass housing is all we need on our cars to retrofit HID's in? That's what I was thinking, just trying to collect some experience here... Wouldn't need the reflective backing on the inside of the housing either, being projector lenses, would we?
If you get clear glass housings, you need to be very careful when drilling out the back of it to fit the projectors in. If you're good at cutting glass, more power to ya! (it sucks, trust me, I know!) Otherwise, as I stated above, any decent looking, non angel-eyed plastic housing will probably be the easiest. If you hate the look of the outer lens, you could always have a custom one made by someone with a vacuum table. ;)

The reflective backing will be rendered useless when the housing is retrofitted with projectors. All light will be focused through the projector's lens, and reflecting off the bowl in the back of the projector. You could black out the reflective bowl, or you could make a custom shroud out of ABS plastic to hid the inner workings of the projector, etc... The amount of customization is damn near endless.

If you plan on doing this, stick with a 2.5" projector because that's about the largest you can fit in the H4 housings easily. Any larger will need too much modification, and I can almost guarantee that anything larger than 2.5" won't clear the pop-up headlight assemblies properly. FX35 FTW! (Makes you love driving at night even more!)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Nosechunks;1601391 said:
When i was looking into this i could only find housings that had lines in the plastic. Anyone know of a housing that is just clear plastic without any lines of any sort?

This is whats im talking about:
7x6projector.jpg

Bump

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
shaeff;1601568 said:
If you get clear glass housings, you need to be very careful when drilling out the back of it to fit the projectors in. If you're good at cutting glass, more power to ya! (it sucks, trust me, I know!) Otherwise, as I stated above, any decent looking, non angel-eyed plastic housing will probably be the easiest. If you hate the look of the outer lens, you could always have a custom one made by someone with a vacuum table. ;)

The reflective backing will be rendered useless when the housing is retrofitted with projectors. All light will be focused through the projector's lens, and reflecting off the bowl in the back of the projector. You could black out the reflective bowl, or you could make a custom shroud out of ABS plastic to hid the inner workings of the projector, etc... The amount of customization is damn near endless.

If you plan on doing this, stick with a 2.5" projector because that's about the largest you can fit in the H4 housings easily. Any larger will need too much modification, and I can almost guarantee that anything larger than 2.5" won't clear the pop-up headlight assemblies properly. FX35 FTW! (Makes you love driving at night even more!)
Thanks for the advice man, it'll be something added to the list. :)

Poodles;1601759 said:
There ARE bolt in 5x7 HID's with projectors out there, but you won't like the price...
My time is generally worth more than my money, so unless we're talking like $1000+, I'm interested...

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
If you are gonna try the retrofit yourself, there is a how-to on YT. I don't have the link handy, but will post it when I get a chance.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Poodles;1601759 said:
There ARE bolt in 5x7 HID's with projectors out there, but you won't like the price...

Yup, it's just too bad their ouput and dispersion is crap.

Check out the forums on www.hidplanet.com . You'll find quite a few threads on plug-n-play projectors for H4 housings that actually have output that rivals the FX35; Morimoto Mini-H1 and Morimoto Mini-D2S.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ltzSupra;1602930 said:
Guys, I ordered H4 HID's from DDM Tuning. All I need to know is what will be my best option on housings. Price doesn't matter to a certain extent, just want a bolt in. Thanks...OP.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=354

^^Would this be a good choice to go with?

Perhaps you missed it.

H4 retrofits are a steaming pile of shit.

If the HID "kit" uses ANYTHING that is not the D2Sr/D2Ss. It is crap.

Poodles

That 6054 is "cheap".

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=131

bi-Xenon. 545 each side... total of $1092

Source the price for the following (rally lights sells them)

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1796

Hella 50mm HID... 500+ EACH Side. Low side only. Have to pony up for the halogen high side to the tune of 300+ each side.

Total. $1332.