help with my igniton system.high hp guys step in

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
He's got the MAFT Pro, so I think that is something he could do if he had the harness...still waiting on mine.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I have never had issues with my stock igntion system up to 25psi. I use Auto lite plugs gapped at .028 along with new stock ignition wires. I did have some breakup at high boost when my plug wires got old.

If I had to guess your problem, I would say it is your methonal injection blowing out your spark. Maybe you need to upgrade your ignition to handle the methonal.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
how do you go about doing a pararell gap.. i using just tap the end down till i gt my spec correct...

also on a side note. i turned the boost down to 19psi on pump as she pulled without a hitch... very smooth and crisp.

i added just a tad of alky and i got a very very slight misfire.

more information on the gapping thing??

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
malloynx said:
how do you go about doing a pararell gap.. i using just tap the end down till i gt my spec correct...

also on a side note. i turned the boost down to 19psi on pump as she pulled without a hitch... very smooth and crisp.

yeah, you don't want to tap the end. you need to bend at the base, at the same time straighten out the corner slightly.

This is incorrect:

original.jpg

This is correct:

original.jpg

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
malloynx said:

I noticed the same problem today! Didnt feel it much when I went out Sunday as it was a spinfest anyway, on the road today, felt it alot over 22 also. Hey malloynx, check my last post in the big maftpro thread about tunerpro and LMK if you know what I need there, cant get any response and I really need datalogging for this weekend.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean by spin around the electrode. (Thanks for the parallel electrode tip. That's new to me!)

mattjk said:
make sure you have parallel surfaces when you close the gap, that is very important as the spark will try to spin around the electrode so you'll go from .026 gap to .034 .

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I've run 25psi with no problems spark wise on Irridium plugs gapped at .28.

Stock coils, and both NGK and now Moroso wires.

I did add a second ground wire to the coil mount, directly to the main grounding point at the fuse box, and then another one to the battery, and engine. The coil pack wire is 10ga IIRC, and the second engine/battery ground is 4ga. (Poor man's circle earth setup, but I have to say for this old car, it makes your headlights nice and bright, and the engine seems to run better too.)

One thing about your grounds. Clean up the contacts with some 100grit sand paper, then spray them with WD40, and re-assemble. The light oil will displace any water, and help to keep them from corroding. (I've also used oxyguard, a paste you can buy for electrical connections to slow down oxidation. It's found at most electrical supply places, and you use in on home wires where the wires come into your main fuse box.) It is basicly a dilectric grease.