help with my igniton system.high hp guys step in

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
well fella's i really need some help. i've been tuning my car on the freeway and it's pulling like a mother. here is my problem i can't run more than 22psi... 1.5bar... at 22psi the car pulls hard and fast.. as soon as i try to go above that i get serious misfires..i know with all this boost and meth the ingniton system is getting put to the limits...

running new toyota wires, champion race plugs @.27 gap..and the old 1989 coils. i did an ohms test on everything and they all passed.. were do i need to go from here.

also my car is having trouble holding an idle and when i'm cruising the car will sometimes die as soon as i press in the clutch. i have a feeling the gap is too small on my plug and the sotck coils are having trouble firing the plugs..

need help cause i wanna run more boost :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
May be time to upgrade the ignition system Mike.
Could just be at it's limit. At double the factory horsepower rating, I'd say that's damn good.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Definately ground the coil packs with a nice 8 gauge wire. I ran NGK 6097 plugs and after a while the misfiring was bad above 15 psi. I regapped them to .31 (I think?) and since then, no misfiring even at 20 psi. I would try regapping your plugs even smaller. If it still runs poorly then upgrade the ignition system.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Probably old stock coils are not so good anymore. My old coils arced like crazy with AEM CDI, I bought new coils, no arcing at all. Tried it at 1.7-1.8 bar with Derek's 70/30 MW injection (without CDI)
I put ground strap from battery negative to cylinder head.
Another possible reason - maybe you inject too much water for the power you make.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
IAN, it breaks up in the 5000 rpm range.. i just installed all new grounds and a fresh set of 3923's gapped at .26.

i still have a slight miss at 1.55bar. i know i need a beefier ingniton, however i'm strapped right now on funds :(