Hella H4 or E codes?

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
I know I have read posts on here about the hella e code headlights but for the life of me I cannot find any info using search so I figured I would just ask. I'm looking to replace my headlights and finally get some good light at night and am trying to decide which is my better option. I'm not geting $10 ebay headlights and am not looking to go HID. I found some hella H4's on suprasport but I want to get more info first. I know I read posts about the hella e codes and plenty of people recomended them but which is better, H4's or e codes. Both are supposed to be OEM replacements, as in direct fit correct? Are there benefits in one over the other? And lastly where can I find direct fit e codes?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Unless the headlight is stamped with DOT, it is not legal for use in the United States. My hella E-codes, that I have had for about 8 years now are not stamped. Even though they are superior to the DOT headlights we have here they are not legal. I can see at night without blinding others. You will love them, well worth the price.http://www.rallylights.com/

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
bluepearl;1530855 said:
Unless the headlight is stamped with DOT, it is not legal for use in the United States. My hella E-codes, that I have had for about 8 years now are not stamped. Even though they are superior to the DOT headlights we have here they are not legal. I can see at night without blinding others. You will love them, well worth the price.http://www.rallylights.com/

True- E code means ECE approved, which is for the other side of the pond.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Do you need ballasts with these type lights, or can you buy them that you just swap into your car and plug in the headlight plug? If you do need ballasts, what is involved to get everything wired in? Not knowing this type stuff has kept me away for a long time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
What bluepearl said. They're lenses. Along good lamps and a rewire one of the best things you can do to the car. They use regular H4 lamps. No ballasts required unless you put HID capsules in them, something people should be slapped for...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
jetjock;1530915 said:
What bluepearl said. They're lenses. Along good lamps and a rewire one of the best things you can do to the car. They use regular H4 lamps. No ballasts required unless you put HID capsules in them, something people should be slapped for...

they are insanely bright and do blind people in front of you, but they do illuminate the road quite well...

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
As stated above, E-Code means EUROPEAN standards. With that said, European lighting regulations are far more strict than the ones here in the USA. Since they use signs with their own lighting, and do not require the auto lamps to light them up, they are very strict on not having car lamps bleed above the cutoff which means more light on the road and not in the trees or other drivers eyes.

Dont fall for just any lamp that claims to be E-Code stamped, some are rated at e13 which is very low on the scale.
Stick with Hella E-code H4;s and you will be good. Ive always ordered from rallylights.com. They focus the light on the road providing better spread and a petty good pattern overall for a reflector based lamp.

Also, make sure to use proper bulbs as well. Dont get blue coated halogens as they will rob you of vital lumens and color. They may appear to be more "white" but the loss of some light in the spectrum what the blue filter blocks, will fatigue your eyes faster and its actually taking away usable light.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
So those hella H4's that suprasport sells are the good quality direct replacement ones correct? Just the fact that they are not advertised as e codes means that they are us spec right. But from what I'm reading both use the same style h4 bulbs right, just that the e code lenses are slightly different?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SupraChrisMk3;1530964 said:
So those hella H4's that suprasport sells are the good quality direct replacement ones correct? Just the fact that they are not advertised as e codes means that they are us spec right. But from what I'm reading both use the same style h4 bulbs right, just that the e code lenses are slightly different?

Right, those would be DOT approved H4 housings. They are going to be legal, but not as focused as the E-codes. The e-codes will light the road better, but light road signs less. I'm thinking you'll still be able to see them just fine though. ;)

Another good option are the Cibie H4 replacements. They apparently have a better high-low beam pattern. Some have said the Hella E-codes have a weird high beam that illuminates the sky more than the road. :dunno:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraChrisMk3;1530964 said:

Buy from rallylights.

suprarx7nut;1530970 said:
Right, those would be DOT approved H4 housings. They are going to be legal, but not as focused as the E-codes. The e-codes will light the road better, but light road signs less. I'm thinking you'll still be able to see them just fine though. ;)

Another good option are the Cibie H4 replacements. They apparently have a better high-low beam pattern. Some have said the Hella E-codes have a weird high beam that illuminates the sky more than the road. :dunno:

Cibie are no longer made.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yup, they're plug and play if you have replacement h4 bulbs, which I do..

the housings themselves are great, its selecting the bulb that also makes a vital difference..

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
suprarx7nut;1530970 said:
Some have said the Hella E-codes have a weird high beam that illuminates the sky more than the road. :dunno:

I love my Ecode Hellas but I definitely agree with this post. It took me a long time to get used to the high beams the hellas have, but the low beams are absolutely kick ass. To combat the high beam issue I did set my low beams just a little low to help the high beams be more useful for me.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Oh, and by the way. Even thou, technically these are illegal, if aimed properly no one will ever give you grief about these lamps. I also use the osram +30 bulbs. Be careful about the bulb wattage. If the wiring is not upgraded, you're gonna start melting stuff. My car may be a fluke, but I only had .3 of a volt differance between alt. and bulb socket. Chevy truck and Ford Explorer was close to 1.5 voltage loss.