Hella 90mm Headlight Setup

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
mattsplat72;1358425 said:
So if I am understanding this right.

You will supply.
1 Complete housings capable of using HID or halogen light that I purchase.
I will supply the mount-bezel that will be used to mount Hella 90mm modules. (I might supply headlight and motor arms that will make the headlight setup easier.)

2 The basic wiring set up minus balllast's and the like.
Users of this setup will be on their on with wiring

I need to have
1 Lights of my choice with assoc. wiring
This setup is intended for the Hella 90mm modules. If you want to use another type of headlight, then that's up to your discretion
2 Pivot controller to adjust height from in car unless I want to control from under hood.
The pivot controller is optional unless you want to modify the headlight arm and motor arm. I'll consider supplying arms so that the Pivot is not necessary.

And you also stated that the Covers surronding bezel might be carbon fiber? If I didnt want CF would there be an option for FG?
To be determined

Would there be any cutting/hacking of the car ( ala Honestabe's flushmounts)?
The only thing that will need to be hacked is the headlight assembly. Honestabes required hacking of the radiator support; which will not be involved here.

Would they be reversable?
You'd have to purchase a new headlight assembly

Can we have some clearer pictures of lights on your car and maybe some pics of the set up off of car?
What's on my car is an unfinished product. I don't want to release pictures of an unfinished product. My intent for this thread is to see if there is gonna be enough interest to see if this groupbuy will be feasible. What I mean by feasible is if there will be enough people that will be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a headlight setup that will result in this:

featcarA20.jpg

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Poodles;1358520 said:
You adjust the position the arm connects to on unit.

The ones already made for other cars do this.

Poodles,

Sorry, but it doesn't work like that.

With the method you describe....when you turn on the lights, the headlight will go partially up, but when you turn off the lights, the headlight will not return to the normal position. It will lower past, under, the header panel.

To have the headlight go down to the normal positiont, you either have to modify the arm on the motor or use the Pivot controller.

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
iwannadie;1358432 said:
Its hard to say I'm interested in something without knowing the price...

Like I mentioned before...if you even want to consider this conversion, the cost will be several hundred dollars for all the parts that you're gonna need.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, as you can change it's position forward or backward to get the angle needed. Try it...

As you're making a custom housing, you can put the mount anywhere it's needed.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Poodles;1358589 said:
No, as you can change it's position forward or backward to get the angle needed. Try it...

As you're making a custom housing, you can put the mount anywhere it's needed.

I'll look into that. I appreciate your input.

gp02a

Nov 27, 2007
Chicago
I am interest as well. So this is not "retrofit" kind of headlight then, right? Is this headlight allow for on-road?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
gp02a;1361008 said:
I am interest as well. So this is not "retrofit" kind of headlight then, right? Is this headlight allow for on-road?

It's not a retrofit. Hella 90mm modules are DOT approved for on-road used.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Hey Rodel. As it looks like I'm going to be moving (unexpectedly) within the next month, I won't be able to afford to do this. Thanks anyways!

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I'll have to send a link of this thread to Keith Hart. He was working on this exact thing something like 5 years ago and kinda put it by the wayside. He does have the properly cut down arm and rod (from what I've seen, to do it right and without the Pivot, you have to cut/weld both shorter.)

For those with questions on the height, look closer, Both the arm from the motor and the rod that attaches to the headlight are set to work in a certain amount of space/movement. You have to shorten both to acheive a lower desired height of a fully extended headlight and also the flush "lowered" height such as stock.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As mentioned, you can move the mounting point.

It's a simple lever, move it's point father out and the headlight goes up and down less, then just get the point right for it to be at the right level.

There MAY not be enough room for that, but I bet there is...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
When I did my conversion, I removed the motor arms, and cut them about 1" shorter. HOWEVER, It's not really necessary to cut them shorter, although it is necessary to relocate the ballmounts(for the actuator rods) inward that same 1". I just cut them shorter to make it cleaner. And you don't have to weld in those ballmounts. They are originally mounted to the arms by interference fit. All you need to do to remove them is to place them in a vise, and tap them out from behind. Nor did i weld them back in; I drilled new holes for them at the proper distance, and tapped the back of each ballmount so that once they were fairly snug in their new holes, I bolted them down with a small bolt and washer on the back to make sure they stayed tight. In all, It took me about an hour to do both arms. As for the actuator rods, I think I cut them about a half inch shorter each, which still leaves plenty of threaded surface to reinstall the rod ends. The open position of my headlights was virtually identical to Rodel's when I was done.