Has anyone installed a backup camera in a Supra?

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Not sure if this even belongs in this section of the forums.

Has anyone installed a backup camera in a Supra? I'm guessing it's just one wire to reverse wire, one to power, one to ground.

Or is it just pretty useless to have one in a Supra?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I loved the back-ups cameras on cars at the dealership because I was backing ~100 cars up per day, as close to something behind as possible. With those cameras, you can get within 5 inches every time and NEVER hit a car. Good stuff.

In my car it would be utterly useless. I back my car into a spot maybe once a month. Maybe. If you have to parallel park everyday and have to squeeze into small spots, then maybe I could see it being useful. But its still a rather small car. There's a reason you normally only see these cam's on vans and trucks.

I'd say its not worth your time and effort.

Spend that money on something more fun. :)

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
GrimJack;1174358 said:
I'll put one in mine. After you've installed the monitor (for the carPC) it's just a bit of extra wiring and a few $$ in costs, so why not?

I didn't know you were that old (or lazy) that you need to have a camera to see when you back up. lol :biglaugh:

Duane

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
I would like to get one of the Toyota cameras cause they are real small and install it. I think it's cool and functional.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
JDM Toyota Soarers had them, not bad for a 1991 car..

My car has actually been easier to parallel park and reverse once I put my wing on, sort of like a "jdm parking pole"...

Either way, you need to make sure it engages only when the shifter's moved into reverse, otherwise, cops will see it as a TV and ticket you...

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
the back up camera is an option for my pioneer dvd player.i just haven't tried to do it yet.actually i haven't got around to hooking up the stuff for the navigation

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
You almost can't see anything out of the rear window while backing, so I find the camera idea quite good.
I might put one one mine sometime not so soon :D

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
To hook up my back up camera to my Pioneer AVIC D2, I just had to run one extra rca cable (video) to it. Then I pulled power for it off of the ACC. for the amp. The head unit can power it up but I didnt feel like running any more wires.

If you have a indash sat/nav unit it will already have a wire hooked up to your reverse lights (nav. unit uses it to know if your moving forwards or backwards.) Then when ever you put the sup in reverse the whole screen shows whats behind you. You can also turn it on (only half screen) while driving to watch a trailer or what ever else is behind you.

IIRC Ron R. also has one installed in his 92.