"GT61" Technology?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
lewis15498;1211560 said:
True, but nobody is upgrading to a 60 trim turbo to shift at 3500 rpms. People that upgrade turbos want more boost. "Abuse" as you call it, is par for the course. 10000mi life doesnt sound so great either. Even 50k isnt to optimistic. When I buy an upgraded turbo I expect it to handle all the flogging I can dish out, otherwise whats the point, just stick to factory spec.

expecting 50K out of an after market turbo is VERY unrealistic unless its extremely over-engineered or barely used.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IwantMKIII;1211581 said:
expecting 50K out of an after market turbo is VERY unrealistic unless its extremely over-engineered or barely used.

Define "aftermarket"

if you're talking abought hack jobs with an idiotic big wheel stuffed into a small housing then no I wouldn't expect anything like that mileage but if you mean a quality aftermarket turbo like a 3540r or it's equal I'd expect it to last the life of the engine if installed/operated correctly.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
IwantMKIII;1211581 said:

So you wouldnt ask questions if your new garret turbo shit the bed after 30-40k? I would ask questions unless you dont change your oil and run w/ no air filter.

I wasnt talkin about your standard ebay $300 "JDM T4" turbo.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Well anywayyyyyyys... Im probably not going to get this one anymore. Does anyone know if the SP61GT is a direct bolt on? Like, stock accordian hose and everything or no... And after that, i want my turbo to last, i dont know how to put it but, i drive my car like a supra. Also, im not buying a 300$ "EBAY T4 Turbo", im going either SP61GT or going with the new LIPP Boss Jr. 61mm Trip Ball Bearing. Still deciding... Gah hard decisions. I know the SP61 is great, but has anyone used or heard anything about the Boss JR? It looks like a badass little turbo.

Boss Jr. Link - http://www.suprasport.com/LIPP-BOSS-Jr_p_5350.html

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Fubar231;1211635 said:
Well anywayyyyyyys... Im probably not going to get this one anymore. Does anyone know if the SP61GT is a direct bolt on? Like, stock accordian hose and everything or no... And after that, i want my turbo to last, i dont know how to put it but, i drive my car like a supra. Also, im not buying a 300$ "EBAY T4 Turbo", im going either SP61GT or going with the new LIPP Boss Jr. 61mm Trip Ball Bearing. Still deciding... Gah hard decisions. I know the SP61 is great, but has anyone used or heard anything about the Boss JR? It looks like a badass little turbo.

neither one will use the accordian hose because of a larger diamater inlet, however im sure if your creative you can adapt it to either.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
lewis15498;1211646 said:
neither one will use the accordian hose because of a larger diamater inlet, however im sure if your creative you can adapt it to either.
No, the Jr. Lipp turbos are the same size as stock. You just need oil and water lines and their wastgate actuator. I'd go with this turbo over the SP one personally.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IwantMKIII;1211552 said:
^How long a turbo lasts whether its 57trim or 60-1, its HEAVILY dependent on HOW you use it and abuse it. 3000 miles For GrimJack could be 10000 for another person, or 50 for yet another. Obviously there are tons of other factors but in all reality, its probably the biggest factor.
Keep in mind I'm NOT an 18 year old driver on his first high performance car. I'm 40, and I drive like it 95% of the time. I did not push this turbo hard - virtually anyone else on here would have killed it in half the distance, I'm sure.

Fubar231;1211635 said:

None of the 'bolt on' turbos are really bolt on. They all require some fussing around - different oil lines, different water lines if they are water cooled, different intake. Bolt on means they bolt to the stock manifold and hopefully a stock type downpipe.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
GrimJack;1211791 said:
Keep in mind I'm NOT an 18 year old driver on his first high performance car. I'm 40, and I drive like it 95% of the time. I did not push this turbo hard - virtually anyone else on here would have killed it in half the distance, I'm sure.

None of the 'bolt on' turbos are really bolt on. They all require some fussing around - different oil lines, different water lines if they are water cooled, different intake. Bolt on means they bolt to the stock manifold and hopefully a stock type downpipe.

Im not really even sweating the whole bolt on, ill go T4, i just want to stay AFM, dont want to do a MAF conversion, even though it would be much better in the long run but im not looking for that kind of power. Thats why i was assuming the boss Jr, even though it requires water feed lines it uses the stock flange, downpipe, intake hose.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Fubar231;1211462 said:
Hmm, well i think i got all i need out of this thread before the i call the company, one last thing though. SP61GT (NON BB) vs. LIPP Boss Jr. 61mm Trip Ball bearing. Same prices... what would you go with. Aiming for 400-450rwhp on stock internals/bottom end etc. Auto trans...

The only one to go with is the Boss! The ceramic ball bearings will spool about 900 rpm's sooner than non bb's I am putting the new Boss junior on our shop car but I am trying it with a stage 5 in the .58 ar of the Boss Junior with the 60-1 compressor wheel. It has the triple ceramic bearings and I want to see just how fast that wheel will spin and at what rpm for boost.
Just a note here, all the shafts that are bb in the Junior series are using the larger, or Big shaft, so they will last.
Greg Clark
Greg@SupraSport.com
www.SupraSport.com

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Fubar231;1211801 said:
Im not really even sweating the whole bolt on, ill go T4, i just want to stay AFM, dont want to do a MAF conversion, even though it would be much better in the long run but im not looking for that kind of power. Thats why i was assuming the boss Jr, even though it requires water feed lines it uses the stock flange, downpipe, intake hose.

Yes, you can still use the AFM with the Boss Turbo's. The water lines will help you get to that 40 or 50,000 by adding life to your turbo and is not a draw back to using them.
It is a bolt on, off goes the CT and on goes the new Boss. If it works on the stock CT it will work on the Boss
Greg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
id be inclined to go with the BB than the non-BB for the difference in spool speeds, but what's the appeal of the sp61 that makes you lean away from the ball bearing?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Toy-Rific;1211873 said:
Yes, you can still use the AFM with the Boss Turbo's. The water lines will help you get to that 40 or 50,000 by adding life to your turbo and is not a draw back to using them.
It is a bolt on, off goes the CT and on goes the new Boss. If it works on the stock CT it will work on the Boss
Greg
Does this include oil lines?

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Clip;1211875 said:
id be inclined to go with the BB than the non-BB for the difference in spool speeds, but what's the appeal of the sp61 that makes you lean away from the ball bearing?

Its not that im staying away from it, but im thinkin of it like this.

LIPP Boss JR - 1300 or so, 61mm, trip ceramic ball bearing
SP61GT - still around 1300, 61mm no ball bearings
SP61GT BB - around 1800, 61mm ball bearing

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
I run a boss turbo cousin, the Jt-56. .I upgraded the oil lines with stainless ones and made a new intake as my turbo had a 4inch intake.Im sure you can get a standard intake side,but i went speed density and it was non-issue for me.My turbo size, dbb is not needed as i make positive boost sub 2500 rpms and i blow the tires away around 4k. I know my size turbo is smaller than the ones your inquiring about,but thats just to give u some idea ;),mine would be similar to a 57 trim boss.For more about the 57 boss look up suprafantic's post/threads :) Go with a boss or boss variant you wont regret it

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
GrimJack;1211930 said:

Nope, you will have to figure out water and oil lines. Being bb it has a top feed oil inlet with a restriction and a pretty standard drain flange on the bottom iirc. The water lines are also threaded for lines. I havent pulled mine out or the box in a while so Im not 100% on where everthing is located on the housing. I would recomend the Boss unit, they are well built units.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
GrimJack;1211930 said:

Doesnt look so, If I remember both feed and drain are on the bottom of the CT, the new turbos look to have the feel on the bottom and drain on the top.

BOSSSERIESStgVGTS67016.jpg

BOSSSERIESStgVGTS67023.jpg

and lol:
Suprasport said:
Reward Points 1360 points will be rewarded to you when you buy this item.

What are reward points? And do you guys ceramic coat the Exhaust housing?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
GO WITH THE LIPP BOSS!!!! you will absolutely love it!! I don't have the Jr. I have a regular Lipp Boss Stage 5 57 trim and I am sold on it. The quality of the Lipp Boss turbo is unbelievable, it blows the SP61Gt out of the water IMO. It makes some serious power up top. Right now I am currently running about 20-21 psi, it has some lag to it but when it hits full boost it is just unbelievable how hard it pulls. Not to long ago i was on the interstate going 85mph and i floored it, around 95mph at full boost my tires broke loose on me! I was running about 27psi though :p lol.. I have beaten many cars with this turbo on the car, new Vett's, multiple Cobra's, cameros, the list goes on. But i stand by this turbo. I highly recommend it!! :)

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Fanatic, have you used a SP61GT before? I love mine and have no issues with it and the quality of mine has been awesome. I'm not knocking the BOSS because I haven't owned one, I'm just wondering if you have reason to doubt the quality of the SP turbo.

Fubar: PM Sent

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
GrimJack;1211930 said:

No the CT-26 oil and water fits only the CT. As with most any up grade turbo, you will get a center section of the Garrett style. You will need to make or buy new lines.
Greg

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
We do offer a install kit that allows you to simply bolt the Jr on. In the kit you get color install manual, lines(water & oil) and every other part you could even think of needing.
Generally it will take you longer to remove the CT26 than to install the Jr...it's really that easy!