GT42 build done and running.

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
Actually I've got to change my opinion on that turbo, way too small. I just got back from ATP and they had a GT55 sitting next to my order. The turbo alone supposedly weights over 100 lbs

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Congratulations on finally getting it done, Sean.

Looks great...but will feel even better after a healthy tune. :)

Silvermk2 - Aint no shittin' either, a GT55 is stupid big.

But that definately doesn't put down a GT42.

They BOTH will eat children and small animals. :D:D

Jeff

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
MRSUPRA said:
Lookin good X-man.. I thought you were going to have a built motor in there. I guess it will make it that much more interesesting to see how well the stock internals will take that kind of power. Is the head stock still? I wonder how much power you can make with that huge turbo and stock head? Can't wait to see the dyno results.

I'm going to build an engine with built internals for it, but the engine in there has taken alot of abuse and still has 170 psi across all the cylinders and holds 20 inches of vacuum idling so I'll keep going. The head is stock, but I want to get some of Brian Crowers cams when finally released. When I build it this time I will do some port clean up work though. I have an engine shop I'm going to try on the boring and such depending on how a 406 cid and a 565 cid
were building works out for a couple of our drag cars.

I hope to see full boost between 4800 and 5200 rpm. I have got it tuned right now for the under vacuum pretty good and the turbo is spinning at idle which is something my 67 didn't like to do.

I have no idea what will happen with this set up. I had a friend of mine put a GT4294 on a 2jz-geT in an SC300 and used a 1.22 T6 housing and blocked off one side of the turbine inlet as it was a divided housing. The thing made 410 rwhp and 330 rwtq @ 13 psi through a stock auto with 166,000 miles on it, and because of the turbo positioning he was only able to get 3 inch exhaust on it also.

I appreciate everyone's comments and enthusiasm and I will keep everyone posted on what happens good or bad.

Sean

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
yyyyyea... umm.... ok so im lost for words! looks great! cant wait to see the results. your 4" exhaust.. do you have any clearance issues when going under the rear subframe by the rear end? just wondering.. im doing 4" exhaust on mine as well.. ive got all the parts just wondering if im going to have an issue with ground clearance. i live in the country and theres a few bumps here and there.. dont need to bottom out :)
DYNO THAT BIOTCH!!

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
SupraDupra500 said:
yyyyyea... umm.... ok so im lost for words! looks great! cant wait to see the results. your 4" exhaust.. do you have any clearance issues when going under the rear subframe by the rear end? just wondering.. im doing 4" exhaust on mine as well.. ive got all the parts just wondering if im going to have an issue with ground clearance. i live in the country and theres a few bumps here and there.. dont need to bottom out :)
DYNO THAT BIOTCH!!

No ground clearance issues at all, but my car is still at stock ride height also. I could get 5 inch all the way out of mine but I have enough trouble with the cops and the 4 inch. Mine is all mandrel bent sections so I could tuck it up close to the underside. I left about 3/4" clearance between the body and pipes.
Sean

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
nice sean, look foward to seeing what it can do... friend of mine here has been running a gt42 for like 1.5 year now... He's never dynoed though but it's made some stupid power... was neck and neck with me when i was running 20PSI on my twin k26's on my 1j.... that puts him at about 480-490 WHP but he was only 18 PSI and completely untuned while i was fairly tuned.... ;)

it doesn't spool till full till 5 k on his car but it's making 10 PSI around 4500

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
X-man said:
Yeah, I'm going to see what I can do with that stock internal record. I think it is around 822 rwhp or such.

And yes, I angled the turbo like that for a reason. The hood will have an MVP type scoop in it. In case anyone was wondering.

Sean

Hey Sean

Stock internal is not Tony's 822 (his was built) Ray's however had coated OEM pistons and 703 RWHP ;)

Duane

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
upgradedsupra said:
Hey Sean

Stock internal is not Tony's 822 (his was built) Ray's however had coated OEM pistons and 703 RWHP ;)

Duane

^^That's originally what I thought...oh well. :icon_razz

This means Seans record to break will be easier to do. :icon_bigg

I second Kurt's request...

Vi-de-o.

:biglaugh:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
upgradedsupra said:
Hey Sean

Duane

Thank you for clearing that up. I couldn't remember whether or not that was a built engine or not. I believe I could have hit that with my 67 if I had about 500 more rpm on the rev limit back then. Any ETA's on when yours will be out and about. I have seen some of the pictures and you guys have done a beautiful job as always.

I will try to get a video of the car running soon. Right now I've got to go slap the idiot tuning the thing.

Ouch, that hurt.

Sean

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Sean.... damn man... Cant wait to see some vid and get some numbers off that turbo... I was thinking of goin with a gt42, but I thought it might be too big, so Im interested in how well this turbo reacts to our 7Ms...