Group A Supra race car

Amar

Apr 15, 2008
San Diego
daledoe;2024504 said:
Any engine pics of the Des Wall's Chevy V8 supra or videos of it?

Check around 4:00 min in the video. You can see the Des Wall Supra battle for the lead.

[video=youtube;lofujH8oMis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofujH8oMis[/video]

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Shared on a70s supras page on facebook. John smith at WTAC eastern creek this year. It shocked me to see he's in a wheel chair now, i'd like to think he's just pimping around or something really did happen to him :(. all and all he seems well and happy.

Well hopefully I see him in phillip Island and catch up with him there.

Update

Just received news that John was paralyzed in a motor bike accident in the states :(. Unfortunate to hear but grateful here's still lived to tell the story.

Last edited:

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Seems that the engine was rebuild and the car is race ready:

[video=youtube_share;rVrRo8lweP0]http://youtu.be/rVrRo8lweP0?list=UU4-O3md8bI1DKDhpr0VZ_Yg[/video]

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Not sure how I missed this most epic introduction!:slap:

Wow I had your car on start screen for my phone for the longest time. Great history. Our cars are SO fun on the track. Cheers:beer:

p2027342_1.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
SeeUSmile;2026389 said:
Just received news that John was paralyzed in a motor bike accident in the states :(. Unfortunate to hear but grateful here's still lived to tell the story.

Sad news... seems to be confirmed with the fact that Scott Bargwanna will be driving his car next week. Interestingly enough there are two group A Supras on the Entry List ,John's MA70 and a Supra MA61 that I believe was part of the Toyota GB fleet before it was raced by Peter Williamson.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/11/26/jim-richards-confirmed-sydney-htc-field/

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
HKS_TRD;2045457 said:
Yeah because its got so much in common with the race car

Well... I mean... it's got more in common (from a factory sense) than any other mk3 made so I think that's at least a partially valid comment, haha. If nothing else, it's a special mk3 variant hardly any of us can say we have.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
suprarx7nut;2045579 said:
Well... I mean... it's got more in common (from a factory sense) than any other mk3 made so I think that's at least a partially valid comment, haha. If nothing else, it's a special mk3 variant hardly any of us can say we have.

Fair enough, but there are other MA70s out there on the streets that have more in common with the race car than a TurboA

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
With today fuels, I think the stock 7M combustion chamber is better than the Group-A one.

I have Group A cams, here are "camcard" if interested:
3vYcEy
oYifR9

T3weSS
BcLCxg

I have forged internal and a 3p's ECU. I will try to convert to map later.

I agree with HKS_TRD: "but there are other MA70s out there on the streets that have more in common with the race car than a TurboA"

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
HKS_TRD;2045582 said:
Fair enough, but there are other MA70s out there on the streets that have more in common with the race car than a TurboA

That actually depends:) The core idea behind Group A was to maintain a very large number of Stock/OEM parts on the Race cars. It was based on the following Key regulations:

- OEM AFM or MAP meter (the reason that TurboA converted to MAP)
- OEM Throttle Body to DownPipe ,this includes Intake Manifold ,exhaust Manifold and ... TurboCharger (the reason that TurboA has CT26a as described here)
- OEM Head ,Block and Crank (We all know about the reinforced blocks that toyota developed)
- OEM InterCooler which is a rule change of 88 and the reason to see larger IC on TurboA
- OEM Front and Rear SubFrames reason why we see the two reinforcemant bars on TurboA and most 89+ Supras

Now the rest was free ,including Engine internals ,brakes ,suspension and transmission. Keep in mind that Group A was the KING of Motorsports back in the days thus the Toyota program was quite expensive to run ,for example the 12 transmissions was custom build by Hewland in England (not hollenger in Aus) with a cost of 35 000 British pounds each ,which in today's money is well over $100 000.

When it is possible to fit a non Turbo A car with magnesium Hewland transmision as I know a guy who has one for sale ,fabricate the suspension parts as I know another guy who has the BluePrints from SpecFAB ... in reality it is much more likely to see what people believe to be GroupA Cams fitted in well build engines. There is a trick here ,and it comes from the fact cams were free and Toyota changed them multiple times. Not only that but in Japan they ran very different qualify and race engines and according to some reports yet another cams for Enduro races ,so yes there were multiple cam profiles. In Australia the race program was much more limited ,John's car was setup with primarily Goal to finish races and not to be competitive as he had virtually no chance against the Australian build cars in his class so he he might've had one cam profile.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Here are my 240's (advertised 256 I think):

qxMXw5
lMJPrc
j0wckJ
8dgiJd

I think Nashman get 288's at the same time. They both came from Zumtizzle.

LordDigital, your knoweldge on Group A is awsome !

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
LordDigital, thanks for sharing that info however there is alot about Johns car and the Group A Supra in general that you don't know

Last edited: