Gixxer's Rebuild....again

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Gixxer: 1000 is a good number as in that time any small bug will let you know they're there and can be fixed!

Not sure on your code 11 as I don't have any experience (at all) with the stock ECU codes!

Could be a tank fullOcrap like you describe, be a good idea to drop it and clean it out anyway and who knows you might find the cause!

Have you 12 volt modded the pump yet?

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
i wouldn't worry about the 12v mod with you list of mods, how ever you could be getting crap on the screen like you think...

I had a carbed 86 f-350 that and you could hit a bump and the motor would totally lose fuel and shut off. Seeing as it was a mechanical fuel pump you would have to wait untill the motor stopped to try starting again. Sure enough the tank was fullll of leaves and all that good stuff

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
322 miles

fixed my gas gauge this morning, and confirmed with a flashlight that my tank is indeed full of nasty crap. Still having the surging problem and being extremely careful not to boost in the case that this is fuel starvation. The engine is still running perfect, still excellent oil pressure. I will be changing the oil again at <500 miles. I'll be dropping the tank this weekend, cleaning it, replacing the strainer, replacing the filter(and attempting to relocate it), and blowing out all the lines. Hopefully this will resolve my problem and any future problems I have. I'm still getting 30+ mpg though :)

My hatch is still leaking, and so is the targa just a hair. I'll be fixing both of those shortly. I plan on a full repaint (door jambs, inside panels, and underhood) early this summer, so I'll be looking for a 89+ front bumper, mouldings, and rear lights before then since I plan on doing this anyway. I'm looking for the perfect set of wheels and tires to put on it. I'm also going to be draining the cheap gear oil I put in, and going with mobil 1 80w-90 this weekend in the trans and rear end. I put the cheap stuff in for a few miles to flush any debris out. I've got to work on my brakes some more, as I think there is still a little air in the lines. The rears finally stopped squealing after the rust finally came off the rotors.

I guess thats all for tonight.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
390 miles.......HELP!!!!

Drove the car to work today, it seems the surging is getting progressivly worse. So, I took it down to one of my customer's shop and put it on the lift. I dropped the tank, and cleaned it out. I replaced the nasty ass fuel pump strainer, and the filter while I had the tank out. Ran like a top for the usual five minutes, and then the same problem again. When I drove it home, it got so bad that it took my 20 minutes to get up the one mile of uphill that I call my driveway. Could this be the fuel pump going? I pulled it up in the driveway, stopped, and let her idle for a few. It got very lopy and stayed around 500 rpm for a few seconds and then died. It cranked right back up and ran fine for about 10 seconds, then got lopy and died again. I can no longer drive the car. If anyone thinks this is the fuel pump, does anyone have a good stock pump they can send me fairly cheap? I have to do something! I tried the ignitor, because I notic ed it was pretty damn hot after a 10 minute run during the day, but that didn't help either. I had another known good ignitor that was working perfectly, and it didn't help any at all. I know my ECU is good, as I swapped it and tried another and it did the same. The only two things I can think of are the coil packs getting hot and misfiring badly or the fuel pump not supplying enough volume or pressure. It seems to still be load related, as it does it much worse going up hill.

The best way I can describe it now is a loss of power with a jerkiness that turns into a surge if you apply slightly more throttle. I wish I had a way of testing fuel pressure on the road. That would be nice. Turning the key off and coasting no longer works. It used to work so that the car would run about 5 miles or so before acting up again, now it works for about 5-10 seconds. It went from 5 miles to 5-10 seconds on the way home. I thought I was never going to make it. Someone please help!!!!!

Anyone, give me your opinion on this!

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
wow... that is freaky as.... exactly the same thing happened to me today on the 1ggte - 7mgte swap... i'm guessing fuel pump also... i'm still using the stock 1ggte pump... so in with a 7m one tomorrow... will be checking for boost leaks also

good luck with yours :)

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
well... i would assume that there is... but since we were just running it in... no boost, no wot no hardcore gassing required, i thought the 1g pump would be able to deliver

but maybe i was wrong lol
or it could be just the pump dying or the filter clogged up real bad... i'll know soon coz i'm rippin it out :)

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
well we found our problem... definitely fuel pump LOL

fp1.jpg

loaded with dirt
and what looks like bog dust :wtf:

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
pulled my tank again, and cleaned it again. the first time I just kind of sloshed some gas around and dumped it out. This time, I got the hose out and cleaned it till it was perfect inside. The fuel entrance to the baffling was stopped up, and I just knew that that was the problem. got that cleaned out, put it back together, and put fresh gas in, and it still did exactly the same thing. It will no longer run any longer than 10 seconds at a time. Afer it dies, the fuel pump continues to run for about 5-7 seconds and then cuts off, but it has a strange sound to it. It is a carter pump in the tank. I can crank the car up, let it idle for a second to get the oil pressure up, and then hold it at 2500 rpm. The rpm will slowly fall back to 1000, and no amount of pushing on the pedal will keep it up. When it gets to 1000, it quickly falls to 500, stumbles around for a few seconds and then dies. I'm on the way now to buy a fuel pressure gauge to check this out. Its either the pump, or just not a fuel problem. Anyone, let me know something!!!!

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Gixxer I'd pull the fuel feed line from the rail, and jumper Fp and B+ on the check connecter, and spit a tank of gas into a five gallon bucket to make sure your lines aren't clogged/pinched, etc...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IHI-RHC7 said:
Gixxer I'd pull the fuel feed line from the rail, and jumper Fp and B+ on the check connecter, and spit a tank of gas into a five gallon bucket to make sure your lines aren't clogged/pinched, etc...
Gixxer: As IHI says give it a go then try the fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump is laying down!

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I'll get on that at some point this week for sure. Right now I'm tied up with other things. If my fuel pump died, should I just get a walbro 255? It is cheaper than a stock pump. Cheaper than even a parts store stock pump, as a carter pump is around $150 I see walbro 255's on ebay for $99 with free shipping all day long!

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Today's update 589 miles :)

The fuel pump fixed the problem early this morning. It also fixed my low(500rpm) idle problem. My car idles around 800 rpm now, and has settled to around 27 psi of idle oil pressure. The blowby smoke from the custom pcv setup is now gone completly. The car is running perfect after riding around all day today with the targa out. I finished my stereo install today. It consists of 4 rockford fosgate 5.25 inch component speakers with seperate tweeters, a kenwood cd/mp3/sirrus reciever, and 1 JL audio W3 10" woofer in a truck box powered by an alpine 300 watt amp. Turns out the truck box will fit laying down with the targa in the trunk :)

I changed the oil again this morning and it looked like....well oil. No metal flakes or anything else in it, and it wasn't even black. Another thousand miles and it will be on mobil 1 15W-50. I fixed my TEMS where a rat had chewed through the wires. I fixed my rear hatch leak(it was the spoiler). I adjusted my timing today, as the CPS was a notch out and my base timing was 15 degrees. I have been boosting a few psi on it now and again to let it know its there. Just giving it quarter throttle and letting it pull to about 3000 rpm in third or fourth gear sometimes. Seems to really like boost, and I love the BPV letting the boost escape. I just love that woooooosh sound :)

Thats all for today, it seems all is well so far :)