Genuine Group A Racing Supra at 2011 YTCC Spa

antigram

May 30, 2010
breda
Oh thats alexanders car. Its a really nice car, but its not a group A one. He is racing for the youngtimer trophy. I've seen the car for real at Alexander's car dealer ship a few times and it is still pretty cool to see a full race supra. I think i got some more pics somewhere.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
JDMMA70;1789911 said:
I thought all group a cars were hardtops? This one looks to be targa

Yes this is a targa. I believe the car originated from switserland.

The car has all of the interior completey stripped out, a badass roll cage and has a race / rally homologation. (i have the complete interior of the car stored in my house lol :) the car was as good as new when alexander bought it. )
The engine is overhauled and stock apart from the MHG, has a stock turbo still, and a bigger oil pickup from some opel OPC car and uses an accusump for optimal oil flow and pressure under any circumstance.
Evo 9 brakes and custom made springs and suspension make it almost impossible to drive on anything other than tarmac, but handling and the stopping power is great.

The supra competes very well. it holds up very well in the races even though this car is much heavier than most of the (some ex-DTM) race cars.

Car even has the stock downpipe and elbow. I suggested Alexander to buy an upgraded (3 inch) one last summer, preferably with a divorced downpipe.
Don't know if he did and if it's still on. They race on "Zandvoort" a lot, a track in the Netherlands well known for its diversity and technical driving skill requirements.

I can snap some more pictures when i'm back at alexander sometime, or maybe he can post some himself if he wants to. He had a complete build thread on shoarmateam.nl forums but unfortunately he doesn't post that much anymore.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Some pictures from the shoarmateam.nl supra forums.
These pictures are in random order. You can see the car evolving through the pictures. (extra rear spoiler, holes in the hood, lights, air duct, rims etc etc)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikj8p.jpg

the evo 9 brakes;
p6260001.jpg

148jhfp.jpg

rear spoiler
epp1l1.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
thevork;1791647 said:
badass roll cage

Not really a badAss ,bad Choice would be more appropriate:) Cage appears to be 100% replica of the GroupA cage which basically is a cage that was proven to be a bad design for torsional rigidity and appears to be quite unsafe for the driver.

The rest of the "interesting" specs for the car are:

STD suspension . Front spring rates in excess of 1200 lb/in.

Custom camber adjustable LCAs ,camber setup appears to be enduro/safe setup of 4 degrees rear and 2 degrees front.

TRD 80% LSD

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
I hope that the moderators won't mind posting this here ,if there is a better place please move/split the following post.

A few of you probably know about the Toyota MK3 participation in the top European racing championship (DTM) ,basically 3 to 5 cars were build with no direct factory support. TTE "helped" in terms of parts supply. The team had done some extensive study on the better known to us TRD Group A supra and determined that 1.The Caging was wrong 2.The Turbo concept was not going to fly (Toyota should've know that;). They god rid of the turbo and after some R&D developed their own cage. It is confirmed that at a minimum of 3 cars existed at the same time:

1991bemani%20toyota.jpg

The intresting part is that one of the cars is now for sale ,not the original 1100KG DTM specs ,but a heavier Turbo Spec used in other races. Asking Price $50k OBO:)

http://www.europeanvintagecarcompany.com/vehicle_details.php?VehicleID=355

http://f1sale.ch/F1sale-e/Fahrzeuge/Toyota Supra Bemani (e).htm

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
LordDigital;1791682 said:
Not really a badAss ,bad Choice would be more appropriate:) Cage appears to be 100% replica of the GroupA cage which basically is a cage that was proven to be a bad design for torsional rigidity and appears to be quite unsafe for the driver.

Good info, I really didn't know that. :)
I wonder if the homologation of Alexander's car requires the presence of the 'official' group A cage.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nice Video, watched it beginning to end.
And enjoyed seeing that the car is pimpin' the Kaminari wing.
Guess I'll keep mine, since it's a "race" part.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
thevork;1793225 said:
Good info, I really didn't know that. :)
I wonder if the homologation of Alexander's car requires the presence of the 'official' group A cage.

I will be quite surprised if YTCC requires the original cage to be used. Even tough the cage appears to be important in the FIA/JAF SUPRA MA70 Homologation book (see here) for historical races purposes the use of non homologated cages is always allowed - main reason is safety of course.

IIRC to make races like this competitive , participating vehicles have to follow the frame work of FIA Group A requirements where minimum weight is related to engine displacement. In addition they may also follow either the original FIA wheel sizing requirements or the "+2" rule from 1989.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Here is a link of GroupA requriements:

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Pages/part5.html

Based on that Alexander's Supra must have a minimum weight of 1420KG (3100+lb) ,no wonder why the GroupA supras were not very competitive compared to the 2500 SkyLines.

Same-wise for the European Racing Supras using N/A engines such as the Bemani ,MIL-Shell ,Bastos ,etc -> minmum weight 1020KG (or 2248lb) ,hardly competitive compared to the 2050lb Mercedes EVO or BMW M3 - can't imagine any reason why they build them other than the fact that they hoped to make unbelievable amounts of power from 7M-GE engine which was impossible since the engine is at the end of the day looooong stroke ,head restricted design.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
just nice to see the supra 2º on the last race in Fuji with the turbo engine and more than 1350 kg !!
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Races/1988 Fuji.html

I am not a best friend of Ian Flux (I will try) which was racing with the Supra but I knew him in Silverstone and he was very closed to race with us... the owner of the team is a good friend of him
also the other day the manager of Guadix race track was racing with the Supra in UK and we was talking about the car what he saed to me it is fast and powrerfull but heavyer on a FIA rules, he liked my Supra jejeje
I will be threre soon and I will try to make me a friend of him jeje

I know a Supra in UK with was racing with the Sierra engine (I sent you a photo of a red Supra) but dont know nothing about it .... I am investigating

It is not a bad idea at all thinking to make a very ligth Supra with short engine to centre the weight reducing the differences between front and rear weight balance, not to complicated to get 500 HP from that engine, I have one in my Garage I am bulding one of the Sierra cosworth for a client so I can compare both engines in terms of weight and overal sizes...

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
the problems is ... I like the supra engine due of easy to mod it and get 700 HP !!! wow!
now I am moddyfing the engine and the overal car to optimize it because I´ll try to do the time attack championchip here in Spain.
soon the news on my building thread.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
josbeat;1798718 said:
just nice to see the supra 2º on the last race in Fuji with the turbo engine and more than 1350 kg !!
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Races/1988 Fuji.html

I am not a best friend of Ian Flux (I will try) which was racing with the Supra but I knew him in Silverstone and he was very closed to race with us... the owner of the team is a good friend of him
also the other day the manager of Guadix race track was racing with the Supra in UK and we was talking about the car what he saed to me it is fast and powrerfull but heavyer on a FIA rules, he liked my Supra jejeje
I will be threre soon and I will try to make me a friend of him jeje

I know a Supra in UK with was racing with the Sierra engine (I sent you a photo of a red Supra) but dont know nothing about it .... I am investigating

It is not a bad idea at all thinking to make a very ligth Supra with short engine to centre the weight reducing the differences between front and rear weight balance, not to complicated to get 500 HP from that engine, I have one in my Garage I am bulding one of the Sierra cosworth for a client so I can compare both engines in terms of weight and overal sizes...

Hey Jose ,like I said the UK MA70 racing program by MIL that run in BTCC was not officaly sponsored by Toyota and was one of the worst Supra racing effords in Europe. Their cars were highly unreliable (mostly due to engine failures) and not competitive at all. Cars were build with parts from TTE ,all of them geniue toyota group A parts. I suspect that TOMs switched from Holinger to GetRag with the GroupA Evolution Homogenization ,thus provided the old trannies to TTE and MIL. According to the thread on ten-tenths one ore more of the UK cars later run in some other races ,Thundersomething with RS500 cosworth engines.
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107256

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
josbeat;1798718 said:
The various Mk4 cars that were raced in FIA used the 3sgte in a great number of campaigns, no need for the mighty 2jz when it will cost you weight distribution and weight penalties for being a 3.0 liter...

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
te72;1799302 said:
The various Mk4 cars that were raced in FIA used the 3sgte in a great number of campaigns, no need for the mighty 2jz when it will cost you weight distribution and weight penalties for being a 3.0 liter...

yes thats right but ... i am not looking to win a lot of money with the races jejejee so at the moment I like the 7mgte feeling .

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
te72;1799302 said:

Agree ,if I was to build a true racing supra from scratch (MK3 or MK4) I would not even consider for a split second using any other engines than the stroked 3S - well proven enduro race engine that is lighter than JZ or 7M AND for racing purposes (with good DogBox gearbox) would not generate less power as (area under the curve for race time) than the larger engines...