gauging interest, gm transmission adaptor

would you be interested in a gm trans to 7m adaptor plate?

• yes, and i have the money now burning a hole in my pocket.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • yes, but will have to wait till after the first of the year

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • no, im gonna stick with toyota equipment

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
if you get a bh for the tko500 that bolts to a chevy v8 yes, itll work for that. tko600, richmond 6 speeds, anything you can bolt to a standard chevy v8.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
stock starter and ring gear needed. to use the t56 you can techniclly use the stock r154 pressure plate and flywheel as its a pull style same as the lt1 t56. though ive changed my mind and trying to get a button flywheel made to use a 7.25in triple plate tilton clutch. the button flywheel will use a stock auto flexplate between it and the crank so the starter can start the engine. as for tourqe convertors etc... thats up to the buyer for now. later when i have more time and the money to get it done ill see about getting a custom flexplate made to utilize a standard off the shelf gm convertor for the th350/th400 swap(ive got a th400 sitting in storage for my truck). maybe after that ill try for other transmissions as well, even though i dont need them. i know its hard getting parts for us so im trying to get things going on my end to start providing this stuff.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
definately need to look into the custom flexplate, when I did mine the custom converter was a HUGE pia and I got the stall a little wrong so I'm not totally happy with it. Bright side, the TH350 has taken everything I've had to throw at it and more, and that's about 400-450.
It would be really cool to easily swap in any converter I want tho.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
local shop here told me for a custom convertor it would be $400-700. i almost got it made for my own use, but then ended up getting a t56 instead. still have the th400 in case i ever need it but no plans for it right now except maybe in a future drag car. thing is i have a normal 40hr week job and bills plus my own cars im building. so i cant get stuff made for others to use that i have no use for myself till later. i am working on it though

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
i was really concerned about the flexplate (to use with the th trannies) because the one i have is too small to accept a GM torque converter. i was hoping that adapter would allow to run a GM flexplate and a 'different' starter, but I don't know what combo

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
a gm flexplate wouldnt bolt to the 7m crank. and ive seen stock flexplates bolted to gm convertors. i wouldnt of done it that way myself but the guy bolted 6 nts and bolts tothe flexplate, slide the convertor to it and taced the 6 nuts to the convertor, then removed the bolts, and finished welded the nuts to the convertor. however, ati has an off the shelf flexplate to use their 8in convertor with a th400 or th350 with this plate. thier plate is $500+shipping for the adaptor plate alone, i checked. thats why im makin this one. much cheaper.

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
When I was speaking of GM flexplate, I was referring to the diameter, not necessarily a stock GM flexplate. If I had a custom flexplate that would bolt up to an off-the-shelf GM converter, then that would eliminate the need for a high$$$ custom converter. The chances of a flexplate going bad vs. a TC are minimal.

Either way you go, something has to be custom, that's the uber-suck. I have a three-nut welded GM converter for my stock flexplate, but I'm not so confident in it's stability/balance (guess I'll find out in a month or so).

Doesn't ATI make a snub/pilot adapter? It would be nice to reverse-engineer one. We turned down the stock GM snub to fit the 7M crank, but it's waaay thin on the remaining material

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
idk if they do or not. i figure when i get the flexplate made the same place cna make the snub adaptor as well. the whole kit from ati wit hthe adaptor, flexplate and all is $700 or so. thing is with their flexplate you have to use their 8in convertors which are rather exspensive.

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
good luck with the adapter; i want to see someone use this.

btw, william is good for doing the research for custom parts. i'm having great success with his 36-1 trigger wheel for aftermarket engine management

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
thanks man. the new test peice was actualy shipped today. im hopin to have it next week. hopefully its perfect, if so i can post the group buy. if it isnt, ill have to make the necc adjustments and order another one.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
pretty damn good news. got the 2nd test piece today. it appears to be perfect. bolted right to the block, started bolted up. i hooked jumper cables to the starter and made sure it turned the engine over. jumped the damn thing all over the place from the tq but the gear in the starter is lined up perfect so thats a relief. then put the bh on, dowel holes seem right. though what im going to do, and i recomend everyone else that buys one do, is dont try to press dowels into the plate. im instead going t put them in and weld from the front side to hold them firmly in place once the bh is on so i know it will always line up correctly. then i put the transmission on. heres the thing i cant check yet as i was by myself. this test piece is 16 gauge, which is thin. so it was flexing under the weight of the trans. i had a jack under the back to level it out. some spots it was perfect and spun great, a lil either way it was hard to spin. so heres the deal, im going to have to wait till my brother comes by. gonna stand the engine on its nose so itll put the trans up in the air veritcal so i can line it up and be 100% sure the snout is lined up dead perfect into the pilot bearing and it spins free, im also wondering if maybe its just going to deep int othe pilot bearing so will space the plate back with 1 washer at all 4 holes to the block, just to be sure. then i will have the outer section trimmed to match the bh and mail it back. they said tey can modify the file to cut it out to match the outer diameter perfect. so im going to have them do that. my solidworks skills arnt good enough to do that myself yet.

anyway, its progress and almost ready to start the group buy. if its lined up perfect ill go ahead and get permision and start the group buy for them.

new pics are here.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/williamb82/t56/

p877714_1.jpg

p877714_2.jpg

p877714_3.jpg

p877714_4.jpg

p877714_5.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
more good news. found out why it wasnt turning easy when lined up, as i thought of after i had already got home last time, the input shaft of the trans was just going too deep into the pilot bearing and actually touching the crank. theres a nice shiney circle in there where it was rubbing cause this new test piece is only 16 gauge. i found this after testing it up in the air and still hard to turn. anyway, spaced it out with 1 washer at each hole and stood it straight up in the air like i mentioned before and sure enough, it was working great. so its perfect. traced the outer part of the bh on the test piece and my bro is bringing his jigsaw and metal blades tomarwo so i can trim the outer part and mail it back to the cutter to have them mod the file for it so itll be cut perfect on he outside as well instead of a large 19in circle. anyway, ill take a pic tommarow after its trimed and start the group buy. its already been approved.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
depends what trans your goin with. i was going to use a r154 flywheel, pp, and slave, slave would need modded as would the t56 clutch fork. and then a custom disc. disc was gonna be $130 at the local clutch shop. though now ive decided to go with a tripple plate 7.25in tilton so i need the clutch, the button flywheel and the throwoutbearing setup. ive got the clutch, custom button flywheel is $270 from quartermaster, already spoke with them, and the throwout bearing/internal slave i cant measure for till i have the flywheel so i can mount the clutch. ive gone over most of this in this and other threads. this plate just lets any gm trans you want to use bolt up and be lined up properly.

later ill see about getting a custom flexplate made for the th350/th400 swap to allows standard off the shelf tq convertors to be used with this adaptor, but since i dont need that myself itl be later. than ill try to have the same thing made or 700r4 if the th350 one wont work etc... im one man working with limited money and time. lol. but ill get it done eventualy.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
the more that are ordered the better, if i can get 20 orders i can drop the price by about $20-30 each from the origonal quote posted. lol. have to go double check the quotes when i get home. then again i need to see if it will be an aditional cost to have the outer part trimmed. it might balance out as by doing so its less material but still mor cutting time. time will tell.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i am, im making it out of 3/8ths. this 16 gauge was just a TEST piece to see if all the holes lined up properly, and they do. with the 3/8ths plate there was plenty of clearance for the input shaft. buying one 3/8ths cut wasnt cheap at all, and i didnt expect to buy another one so the 2nd one i bought thinner as it was cheaper and less on shipping. all this so far is out of pocket exspense on my part. thats why its taking so long. unfortunatly bills dont go away.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
williamb82;881750 said:
i am, im making it out of 3/8ths. this 16 gauge was just a TEST piece to see if all the holes lined up properly, and they do. with the 3/8ths plate there was plenty of clearance for the input shaft. buying one 3/8ths cut wasnt cheap at all, and i didnt expect to buy another one so the 2nd one i bought thinner as it was cheaper and less on shipping. all this so far is out of pocket exspense on my part. thats why its taking so long. unfortunatly bills dont go away.

I truely understand...keep up the good work.