gauging interest, gm transmission adaptor

would you be interested in a gm trans to 7m adaptor plate?

• yes, and i have the money now burning a hole in my pocket.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • yes, but will have to wait till after the first of the year

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • no, im gonna stick with toyota equipment

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
plate will be made of 3/8ths plate steel and bolt to the 5m, 6m,and 7m and will allow any chevy pattern v8 trans to bolt to the 7m. this will include th350, th400, powerglide, 700r4, t5, t56, muncie, saginaw, t10, 200r4, etc... it would be for the plate only. prolly run ~$350 or so including shipping for just the plate. ill be getting one cut asap to do a test fit with my t56 and then once i know it is right ill post a group buy if there is enough interest. plate would look basiclly like this.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

it has dowel holes for the 7m and for the gm trans so you can buy the dowels from gm to tap into it to help keep the gm trans lined up properly before bolting on. right now it is set so you will need to bolt nuts to the other side of the plate for the gm trans mounting bolts(i wasnt sure if 3/8ths of thread would be strong enough to hold the weight of the trans etc..), but once i have a test peice i may decrease those holes diameter if others wish so they can be tapped for bolts to thread directly into the plate.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
thats what ill be sin it for, but figured all the guys wantiong a 700r4 would be the ones mainly that are interested. ill make one for jz engines as well. got to call a friend of mine and see when i can go by and take measurments.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Reading this thread made me think about how RX7 guys swap LS1s and stuff into their cars. Don't know why though.

Anyways, looks like a cool thread. If my car actually put out power, I'd be interested.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
im not that familiar with the 700r4. iirc it isnt electronic controlled at al. but the 4l60e is which is supposed to be its new equivalent. the 4l80e is very strong from what i hear but also big and heavy, like the th400.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, ive been thinking and ive decided to alter the diameter of the 2 starter bolt holes and the 6 gm transmission moutning holes. im gonna decrease the diameter so that they can be tapped for the stock bolts. the stock starter bolts will thread directly into the plate and the gm transmission bolts will thread directly into it a well. i have the tap sets so it shouldnt take more then a few min to do. and if i decide it isnt strong enough i can still use nuts on the outside of the bolts.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, as soon as i have 1 to bolt up between my t56 and a 7m ill do that to make sure its lined up right then post a group buy. if i get enough people im sure the price will go down. wont know exactly how much though for prolly a week or 2 though.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
For the t-56 what kind of clutch setup would you have to run. I am very interested and want more information if available.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Most guys that want an adaptor like this for an automatic trans, are going to want to use a th400, which holds-up better than anything else when using a trans brake.

I doubt many will care much about the weight, but just out of curiosity do you know how much for aluminum?

:icon_bigg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
no, i can ask for the aluminum when i email the file later for the quote. though ati makes it in 6061 t6 aluminum. it is $500+ shipping. the steel one im doing will be at least $350 shipped, possibly less depending how many are ordered.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, file was emailed tonight otthe laser cutting place. they will be calling with a quote tomarow. as for aluminum, thickest they can cut is 3/8ths so i told them never mind. im not sure it would be strong enough, but if someone is adament ill try to find a waterjet place to make one.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
got the quote from the guy today on the adaptors. for 10 i can do $350 each shipped in the us. canada for $360 shipped. for 20 total orders i can do $20 less each. i wont post an official group buy until i get the first one to test fit. im hopin to have it in my possesion next week some time. ill keep you guys posted.