Garage Tools

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I'm honestly trying to think of anything that i dont already have, hand tools wise, so maybe you guys can help out here. Now i dont have an engine hoist, or an engine stand (have you seen the PRICE of them?!), but i do have a block & tackle ready to mount up on a beam.

So far i have:

Small Stuff:

90pc Halford Professional Socket Set (1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" Drives & Extensions + TORX/Allen sockets & screwdriver bits)
3/8" Halfords Professional Torque Wrench (6 - 45lb/ft)
1/2" Halfords Professional Torque Wrench (30 - 150lb/ft)
Ball Joint Splitter
Irwin Bolt Grippers (f*cking FANTASTIC!!!)
Feeler Gauges
Steel Rulers (15cm and 30cm)
Digital Vernier Calipers
Valve Spring Compressor
Piston Ring Compressor
Gunson Timing Light
Gunson Brake Bleeder
Gunson Compression Test Gauge w/14mm plug adaptor
Valve Grinding Paste & Stick (dont you love the fact its just a bit of wood with a sucker on the end?
tongue.gif
)
Tap & Die Set
Magnetic Tray
Hammer
Screwdrivers
Angled Needlenose Pliers
Wire Cutters
Soldering Iron & Stand
2 x Multimeters
Halfords FakeDremel (Its a dremel with a halfords badge on it)
Wire Brushes (Drill Attachments)
Simple Electric Drill
No Shortage of Glass Jars
tongue.gif

Toyota TCCS Tester
Toyota Cruise Control System Tester
BIG ORANGE FUNNEL!

Big Stuff:

2 x Car Creepers
2 Tonne Trolley Jack
2 x Axle Stands
2 x Ramps
2 x Chocks

What else am i missing guys?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
i don't have time to inventory all my stuff.

i have 2 floor jacks, 6 jackstands, and 4 different torque wrenches.

ohh i fail. ;)

I seriously see nothing you'd need. I'd wait till the need pops up, personally.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I hate being caught short with tools though - getting halfway through a job and discovering i magically LACK some really simple and well known service tool...

I think i might need a 300NM/225lb/ft torque wrench, but, the only use i can forsee for it, would be the crankshaft pulley bolt...

Engine stand is about $80, Engine Hoist...at least double that. Whats a cherry picker when its at home? It's what we call those scissor lift type things on the back of flatbed trucks here!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Just as a heads up - this is the size of workspace i'm looking at:

garagesketch.jpg

Rough sketch i know, but that leaves me with 11.625ft (139.5") after the width of the workbench is taken into account. Say 2ft of clearance either side for exit/entry into vehicle and you're left with 7.625ft (91.5") of width for the vehicle itself. As the Supra is the largest vehicle i'm ever going to work on (it's already borderline too wide for the roads!), i should be fine, as it's only 6.25ft (75") wide (from wing mirror tip to tip - approx).

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
I don't know, I got my engine stand for 30 bucks and I'm using somebody else's hoist - That said, you can get hoists for well under 200 bucks
You're missing a sandblaster, a parts cleaning sink(with a pump and all that) and a powdercoating station.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Powdercoating station would be pointless - why bother? Sandblaster, handy, but bulky - i'd rather just hire one due to the fact i'd barely need one. Parts cleaner would be handy - but i thought of taking a 55 gallon oil drum, slicing it down the middle lengthways, and using that as a cleaning 'sink'. Obviously drill a hole in it and cork it, too.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
blah i cant think right now.. basically what you use to compress a timing belt tensioner... mounted to the bench.. i cant think of what its called...

also a speedwrench(?) was a lifesaver for me.. forgot the exact name.

get a used engine stand the picker though, i would put my money on the strut for it is going out...used..

not sure if you mean beyond the basic standard set of tools... but ratcheting wrenches are lovely.. (i bought the cheapest set out there and they work great since i only use them on bolts that are already broken loose)

fender covers (cheap from summit)

slide hammer would be nice for those pilot bearings etc

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I can has shelf! Not put up yet, but freshly bought! Along with the brackets, chevilles (dont know the english translation, oddly), storage bins and an assortment of fixings. Would have bought the main work surface, but my car is too small to put it in - i'll probably have to get it cut to size as well - they have sheets of melamine (plain white) in 2400x1750 (mm) for €28 each - which is pretty reasonable. If i get one of those, have them slice it down the middle to get two 2400x875 sheets - that will be ideal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Vise is a requirement, bench grinder helps as well.

Gearwrenches were MADE for these cars, I use them all the time.

Most everything else is a buy when needed item for me, I have retaining ring pliers (NOT snap ring, these are used for the large retaining rings on the clutch hub), line lock pliers (for pinching brake lines or other lines), tranny jack, engine hoist, load leveler, engine stand, ect...

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
go to wal-mart, and for 15 bucks, get the one thing that will have you tons of aggrivation.

one of those led lights that you strap around your head. even wiring up a stereo at 3 am is almost pleasant

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Flare nut wrenches, ratcheting wrenches(flex head and fixed head), kitty litter for spills(I dump litter on an old supra floor mat to slid it under where I need it, works amazingly well), EZ outs, big lot of zip ties in all sizes, turkey baster(removes old fluid), fluid pump, nut drivers.