Full boost lose power!!!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Drop the pressure on the FPR to 30 psi w/ the vac line connected.
(I run mine at 27 psi)

And re-gap your plugs to .28 like Jay suggested.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
suprahero;972066 said:
That's way too rich. Do you have a way to lean it out to about 11.2 under wot?

yeah. its way too rich. ive got an SAFC II to tune with but the only reason its running rich is cuz the plugs are dead. other the that, once replaced they should be back to where i tuned it when the plugs were still new, 11.5. sorry to thread jack.

ed.d.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
jdub;972497 said:
Drop the pressure on the FPR to 30 psi w/ the vac line connected.
(I run mine at 27 psi)

And re-gap your plugs to .28 like Jay suggested.

Good call John ;).

I was thinking that he had the 550's fuel pressure set at the TSRM spec or close to it since he was having a rich running issue from what he described.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
well i was going to ask if it was a automatic, but its not a suddon loss of power can be a few things most importently it can mean that the Headgasket is leaking , at 20 pounds of boost this is prolly the case but i wont say it is

plugs can cause a hickup also a miss can do that too, a failing airflow meter can cause a hickup too run some tests as the guys asked and maybe i can help you more

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Well guys good news, it seems that Nappa Auto Parts does carry the ngk 3330s at $1.99 a piece. The plugs were in different stores but I had them bring them to the one closest to me. Im about to go pick me up a set of 6 and on my way to the truck parts store to get me some new silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps.:naughty:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Have you dropped your fuel pressure like I suggested above?
40 psi is way too high.

NADude98

Apr 5, 2006
Terre Haute, IN
www.myspace.com
jdub;982640 said:
Have you dropped your fuel pressure like I suggested above?
40 psi is way too high.

Nope. I will though. I didn't have the car for a week and forgot to do that. I am getting the iridiums today and will put them in. I believe it was set at 40 psi with vacuum disconnected. That was how I was told to set it. But I will look. Valley of the Sun eh... Maybe I will look you up if I ever make it back out there. My plans keep getting changed. I was going to drive out there for a few weeks at Super Bowl time and then I was going to do the same for the month of spring training. Now maybe I will make it out this summer sometime before July. I really would like to go tubing the Salt!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
40 psi on stock 440 injectors maybe, but not on 550's! That's a lot of fuel you're squirting into the motor. Do yourself a favor and do this first, it takes 3 minutes tops. Don't put your new spark plugs in until you do what John suggested. You risk fouling out those expensive, brand new plugs if you don't.

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
It's really interesting to see how many people are experiencing this problem. Ive pulled the plugs and looked at them, but nothing struck me as abnormal with them. But just like mentioned before, the car pulls nice and as soon as it hits a certain point it falls right on it's face. Gonna have to try this.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Does it sound like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFt05ck2iYg

The problem with this 1g - was a miss-fire caused by a poor diode matrix he made up for the ECU to talk to the stock toyota igniter. He changed the igniter and removed the diode matrix and no more misfire sound.

As a couple members said, the A/F you are running is WAY too rich, around 11.5 is safe and stoich. Drop the fuel pressure like they suggested.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
This is a very interesting thread. Now I dont know everything about the mk3(im still learning myself) but tuning101 tells me that there is prolly a problem with the timing. When boosting high you are more prone to knock(thats prolly what that shuddering sound is) and when this occurs pulling timing usually occurs as well, and when that occurs you are robbed of power. This could be the cause but like I said I could be wrong as well.

Id really like to see what happens when you get the plugs in and gapped properly.

Btw nice setup.

NADude98

Apr 5, 2006
Terre Haute, IN
www.myspace.com
turbojuiced;985228 said:
Surely you put the plugs in already it doesnt take that long. lol and 1.99 isnt bad for iridiums.

Plugs are in! The loss of power and hiccup is gone... I reset the ECU and now I can not get the car to idle!!! I know I need to get the car on a wideband and set up the Apexi... I only know of one person to do that around here and he is too busy so it will have to wait.