Front end noise

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Well I tried a search and came up with nothing so If im duplicating a thread then I apologize in advance. Im having front end suspension noise and Im not for positive what it is. It happens when your are turning right or left but is louder when you turn right or put the weight of the car on the driver side front tire. Its a thumping type of noise and is directly connnected to the wheels as the speed of the thump is connected to the speed your traveling. I had a cutlass before that had a similar problem when the front wheel bearings where going out. Can anyone else verify this problem with a similar experience? I know the brakes dont look like they are in good shape either and are wondering if maybe my rotors are warped and causing an uneven wear problem. Thanks guys

1Relentless87

I have the same niose and would also like to know what it is, mine onlyhappens when I turn hard towards the passanger side.

P

PunaMKlll

ya know what, i bet its the ball joints! mine are the only worn part of my front suspention and i have the same problem! i need to install those new ball joints i bought!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I thought ball joints too, but shouldnt there be excessive play in the wheels when off the ground. I tried to move mine out on both sides and they didnt seem to want to move at all. not sure. Also mine is not a pop noise. Its like a thumping kinda noise that is slower or faster depending on speed.

Last edited:

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
Couple things to check, First (now bare with me on this one) Are your lug nuts tight? This sounds really stupid but it happened to my friend. No really it wasnt me..:) Second .. your struts might be shot, or the retaining nut is loose. Remove the TEMS cover and actuator and check to see if the big nut in the center of the strut is tight. My rear ones managed to work loose. Could be anything tho....

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
mk3forme said:
I thought ball joints too, but shouldnt there be excessive play in the wheels when off the ground. I tried to move mine out on both sides and they didnt seem to want to move at all. not sure. Also mine is not a pop noise. Its like a thumping kinda noise that is slower or faster depending on speed.

i dunno if you did this but the ball joint will only show wear(wiggle) if it is unloaded, car jacked up with the jackstand placed on the lower controll arm. poping would strongly suggest a ball joint. as for the speed thing i dont know. wheel bearing? is the wheel hard to turn?^^i'd also do what thesupraman said, sounds like good stuff to try.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Also there is a small bump stop behind the front axle for lock to lock turning. It has a plastic/rubber/teflon(not sure what but something like that) cap. And that cap tends to wear out after awhile and it becomes metal on metal. It can make a lot of noise, Even a thumping sound. I'm not sure what years this was on supras. I didn't see it in the 91 TSRM. But I know that my two 87’s have them. Mine started making a strange noise when turning. So I replaced the cap and all was well again.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look into all these things. I wouldnt think it would be the bump stop cap mentioned cause when the thumping sounds is made im not turning hard or sharp. Going down the road and just swerving from side to side like warming up your tire type of swerve makes the noise and its more obvious turning right or on putting weight down on the driver side then the other. I will check just the same though.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Hehe... I'm sorry to say I haven't had a chance to figure out what's causing mine yet -- I've been working on getting other issues resolved before this meet.

Mine is definitely not a popping sound like bad wheel bearings make -- I've had wheel bearings go out in previous cars, and it doesn't sound like that. My ball joints also seem to check out. I haven't checked that TEMS actuator thing, though.

They guy at a suspension shop I took it to couldn't duplicate the problem (next time I'll drive it myself :/ ), but from my description he said it sounded like it might be bad strut mounts.

Good luck!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Thats what im hoping now Victim. When I bought this car it has a tire on the driver side that the outside edge is wore out, so Im thinking the alignment is offfff. Also the car has been sitting for a while and Ive only driven it 20 miles or so since i got it running and the pads still havent cleaned the rotors off completely but they could be warped as well. And who knows, Ive also heard of tires making different types of noises too. I think this will take some time to iron out, none the less.

P

PunaMKlll

JustAnotherVictim said:
Did you see if the ball joints had plenty of grease in them?

Stock balljoints have no grease fittings. jap bastards!