freeze plugs

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Zumtizzle;1507064 said:
Dead blow hammer? :)

Can i put the plugs in the freezer to give me a little more ease?

Usually not needed for brass it's fairly dead anyway.

Yeah guess that might help but you won't have much of a window to get them in before they're back at room temp.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
The ones I got are toyota. (i got them for very cheap lol)

I'm going to assume they're stainless steel.

good point. i'll just use the socket method with #1 and skip the freezer

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I thought I'd have them done tonight but it takes a good while to sand each one down clean..
I got about 6/10 of the plug hole walls finished with 320 sandpaper till they were clean and super flush with no burrs.

I actually feel confident that they will all seal perfectly when I'm done tho :biglaugh:

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I was worried that might take too much off or scratch it too deep.

I'm still not able to correctly choose the correct grits/coursness for the material I'm working on w/o knowing if it will damage it or not. For some reason it's hard for me to visualize...

I just used the 320 sandpaper because you said it in some old thread so I knew it was safe haha..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Wire brush won't remove any material, sand paper will....

One like this that's slightly larger than the holes.

pt1057_rotary_brush.jpg

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
the machine shop that did the hot tanking and all the machine work replaced mine, looked like they did a good job but im not sure what kind they used but they are nice and shiny lol

p1507286_1.jpg

p1507286_2.jpg

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Yeah that's why I didn't want em to do it, I wanted the toy ones which I got 2 weeks later from champion after I picked up my block.

My goal is to completely assemble my block from scratch by myself as a learning experience minus them attaching the rods to the pistons with the wrist pin.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
oh you know what, come to think of it i believe my stone gasket set came with the freeze plugs, maybe not anyone know?

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Ok, so bit of a thread resurrection, but it's on topic.
The machine shop that hottanked my block punched this one out with the rest, so I just picked up this plug from Toyota and its concave.

1) Is it suposed to be concave?
2) If it is, is it supposed to curve into the motor, or out of the motor?

As for installation...
[QUOTE="IJ.]I don't do enough to make or buy the correct tooling, what's VERY important is to get the plug in with a minimum of hits, a few small taps to centre it then 2 hits to seat it if possible (takes practice) If you use a LOT of small taps you end up peening the crush out of the cup and it will blow out as the engine heats up.[/QUOTE]

Any other tricks, or is it just a matter of getting a simple process perfect?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Meant to curve out and be staked in place, I don't replace that unless I 100% have to.

Only additional advice I can give is if a plug is even slightly suspect after you fit it pop it out bin it and try again, this job has to be 100% perfect the potential for disaster is very high if one falls out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Damn I don't have a good pic showing the factory stake job, it's intentionally peening/mangling the material of the block that surrounds the convex plug, you can see it easily if you have a block there.