ForcedTorque's Slick/Quick Build

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I don't like to post a lot about being out of town until after the fact. I left sunday afternoon, and have spent the last couple of days in Tuscaloosa for my son's Orientation. Today was only a 1/2 day, and then I went and met Jay along the side of the interstate (literally), and finally got him the dash out of my 89.

I have done most of the wiring I can, except for the C1 plug I will do tomorrow, and the B2 plug. B2 is going to be where there are several problems. I tried on it as soon as I got out of the car after 300 miles of driving, and got frustrated after the first 4 wires did not work, so I came in for the night. I have plenty of spare wiring around here, so after I finish getting all of the wires I can hooked up, I will see if I can find any replacements that will work in the right coloring, before going back to DrTweak to help me finish it up.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks again for the dash Scott. I hope to get it painted next week and installed. My clutch is on backorder so it won't be here anytime soon.
I cranked Vonda's supra today for the first time in over six months. Cranked right up like it had been running the whole time. I drove it down the road and then to a gas station and it drove like a new one. It unfortunately still has the code fifty two which I can't seem to get rid of. Other than that it drives fine. I'm going to drive it to the golf course tomorrow and see how it does. Sorry for the thread jack but you know how I do.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Update!

I got the gas tank pulled from the 89 today. Hopefully I will have no problems tomorrow, when I attempt to install it in the 92. It wasn't quite as 1/2 full as I thought it was, as I had no trouble pulling it without draining it.I just hope I have everything I need under the 92. He had upgraded his fuel quite a bit. If need be, I guess I can pull what I need from the 89, but I hope I don't have to. I'd also hate to add that work to George once he gets the 89 shell.

I was laid off from work yesterday, so I should be able to get a little more work going on. I am getting really close on my wiring as well. Once that is finished (and I replace a freeze plug), I can get the motor installed.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
OK, I went ahead and got the car jacked up in preparation to install the tank tomorrow. Now all I have to do is raise it to it's location. I then checked out everything in the 89, versus what I can now see in the 92. I am missing the main fuel line that has to be disconnected. I really don't want to be pulling that from the 89.

I have a new question also. My relocated battery is located right over the access panel for the tank wiring. I can connect them just fine as I install the tank. My question is, what do I do with the 12V relay wiring. Can I run them in under the battery tray, and mount them where they were in the other car? The battery box looks like it would provide pretty good insulation. But, if the battery were allowed to move 1/2" back and forth, it could be cause for concern. I may have to find another way in, because I won't be comfortable mounting them on the outside.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Gas Tank is now installed!!!! I looked at the battery tray a little better, and I believe everything will be just fine. There is a sealed bucket that the battery sits in. Then, that bucket sits over a plastic tray that covers over the access hole. That tray is bolted down, and also supports hold downs that run upward to a bar that holds the battery down. That gives two layers of thick secure plastic over the access hole where the wiring will run out to the relay.

I still have to hook the fuel lines to the tank. I found out that the only thing I needed from the 89 was the line coming from the fuel filter. I was so relieved to not have to chase under the entire car. Once I get those hooked up, I will get the battery tray all assembled, and get pictures for safety advice.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sorry Dave, but I don't believe you................:kickinthenuts:

Good job Scott. I could really use more pictures and more boobies to keep me interested in this thread though.........:naughty:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
OK, OK, here's a couple of pictures. I believe I am going to post these in another thread for safety tips. This is what I played with after the tank install job was completed.

BTW.......I've finally done enough to this car to start feeling like it is mine now. I haven't felt that until tonight.

This is the under tray of the battery relocation. I am somewhat concerned about those wires running out from underneath to the 12Volt relay. I finally decided I would trust my life with this. The tray is metal, but coated with rubber. The bucket for the battery goes on top of this, and is thick plastic. Where the wires run, there is a little room (finger tip), and the wires don't get pinched.

p1371801_1.jpg

Here it is again, but with the trunk board I cut out for it. It previously didn't have a trunk floor. I am going to try to get a custom carpet made to work around the battery.

p1371801_2.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole thing (without the board). Tomorrow, I am going to get the battery in there, and see if I can burn this car down. I might ought to at least cover some of the cut wires with e-tape.

p1371801_3.jpg

And here's a little teaser picture to get a dirty glimpse of what I will be posting tomorrow as well.

p1371801_4.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Today I finished up the install on the rear bumper, installed rear mud flaps,pulled the A/C lines and hood fire blanket from the 89. George, that car is now 100% ready for you to pic it up when ever you get ready.

AND................

Check out the New Sig!vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

This is how the car will look for quite a while. It is only missing the front mud flaps, and putting together of the front bumper and related parts. I'm waiting until the motor is in for the front end, so I can snatch it off and use the extra room.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I definitely think it is going to be too damn low once the motor gets in it. I lowered the car down off the ramps with my jack under the rear end, and I had to break out the tiny jack to lift the car off the jack to get it out. There's no way that my low hanging exhaust is going to work under that.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Looking good Scott. Thanks for the pictures, and I'll thank Kristel for the boobies. This thread definately delivers.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Not a lot to report today. I did find and completely wire my M3 Housing on my harness today. That makes 3 of the 5 housings complete. The last 2 look like they are going to take a little more work, and a little bit of soldering.

After that, I need to address my wastegate issue, and maybe replace some hoses. Then, I will be ready to drop the motor in the car.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Looks good with a squat like that. But I agree it's a bit low for travel. Around here riding that low usually follows with street bumper removal lol.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well I've been itrawebz-less for a couple of days. It's been frustrating. I'm to a point where I need help with the remaining wiring I have to do, and I haven't been able to get online and get the help I need.

I have been working on prepping the car for the motor, since I am at a standstill with the wiring. I've been working on getting brake lines bolted into place, my seats bolted securely into place, the cotter pin into my clutch pedal.

I also got power into the vehicle! I just needed to look at it a bit. Then, once it was in there, it was time to start testing things. Everything seems to work, but this is my 4th straight Supra that the driver window switch will roll down the passenger window, but not bring it up. T tried to get my stereo working, but my multimeter has decided to tak a crap on me. Dave has so many wires running through the dash, I didn't know where to start. I tried several cut red wires, but none seemed to be hot.

I did find one problem though, and I need any help I can get on it. When I have the battery hooked up, my spoiler brake light comes on. With the brake system all in pieces, I'm not too worried about that yet. It could be just a signal that all is not right, I guess?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I am going to report my wiring project completed! My 89 harness does not have 1 wire for the air bag, but there is nothing I can do about that. Before the motor can go in, I still need to install my power steering lines, and makes sure everything else in the bay is ready. I also have to get my wastegate from JmoneyDTB, and get it swapped out. The motor should be going in by Tuesday at the latest. Then I can start building the front end, and hooking everything up. Once that is done, I can start report wiring mishaps.