Fixing my power steering

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, while I had the engine out, the power steering resevoir folded over on it's hose and leaked all my fluid out. I figured no big deal, I'd just refill and bleed it, and it would go back to normal.

Well, no such luck. That was three weeks ago, and it still doesn't work worth a tinker's damn. I even checked that everything was hooked up to it properly, just in case I missed something silly.

Anyone care to guess what went wrong? Anyone have an easy fix? Failing that, bets on whether or not replacing the power steering pump will fix it?

No, I am not going to remove the power steering. I *like* it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Unless there was a previous unknown problem, Id guess it isnt hooked up right somehow. Assuming you have it full.

Disconnect the supply line at the rack and start the engine. If it doesnt pump out, you are restricted. Most pumps dont die, but they can.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Nick M said:
Unless there was a previous unknown problem, Id guess it isnt hooked up right somehow. Assuming you have it full.

Disconnect the supply line at the rack and start the engine. If it doesnt pump out, you are restricted. Most pumps dont die, but they can.
The thing is, I didn't unhook it - all I do is unbolt it from the block, unbolt the resevoir from the head, take off the belt, and let it sit there in the engine bay while I pull the engine.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Supraholic said:
you have that vaccum connection from the pump to the accordian hose bottom right?? just checking..

that wouldnt cause the powersteering to not work. i have my idle vacuum up line removed, and there's no noticable difference whatsoever. rule that out.

Grim: here's what i did with mine, and i disconnected the hoses and let all the fluid run out when i rebuilt my motor-

re-connect the lines, fill with fluid, start motor. turn lock to lock for a few minutes, (helps if the front end is off the ground), check fluid, it'll probably be low. top it off, and continue turning lock to lock until the fluid doesnt decrease in level anymore. it's worked for me both times i've had my motor out. good luck!

-shaeff

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
There is a filter screen in one of the lines at the bottom of the tank/reseviour. Maybe it got plugged. Remove the tank and clean it all up, then re-install.

PS. The vacuum valve works by sensing a pressure rise as you are turning the steering wheel at idle. It then creates an air bleed (vacuum leak), thus raising the idle a bit. It has a hose run to the air intake system so that 'filtered air' enters thru the valve.
It will not effect any other P/S functions or problems.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
mrnickleye said:
PS. The vacuum valve works by sensing a pressure rise as you are turning the steering wheel at idle. It then creates an air bleed (vacuum leak), thus raising the idle a bit. It has a hose run to the air intake system so that 'filtered air' enters thru the valve.
It will not effect any other P/S functions or problems.
Ya, I was reading the TSRM today and figured this out. I'm wondering if my steering computer is plugged in... I might have missed it when I plugged the wiring harness back into the ECU, I guess.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, I figured this out. It's a bit embarassing, but I'll take the hit so that people can figure this out in the future.

When the manual says to use Dexron II Automatic Transmission Fluid in the power steering, they are absolutely serious. Regular power steering fluid just doesn't work so well.

A good flush and bleed, and the system works again.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
hey grim i just replaced my ps pump today... how ironic.. i think the fluid in my old ps pump was power steering from the previous owner... i replaced my pump with a used one i bought from tony.. had to swap the pulleys because the one he gave me was bigger... and i put it in...filled with dexron III .. alotta bubbles n noise at first, i had to do the lock to lock thing 3 times.. shutting the car off between bleeds... because the amount of foam/bubbles was insane... but after the third time no more bubbles and no more noise... presto chango..

P.S. the old pump in.. no power steering watsoever.. it may have been same prob u had but iunno... either way its fixed so im happy.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
GrimJack said:
So, I figured this out. It's a bit embarassing, but I'll take the hit so that people can figure this out in the future.

When the manual says to use Dexron II Automatic Transmission Fluid in the power steering, they are absolutely serious. Regular power steering fluid just doesn't work so well.

A good flush and bleed, and the system works again.

Don't worry, I'm sure many of us have done this. Even Firestone did it when they replaced my PS rack(had to use a card due to just having the lower control arms done).

It says Dexron ATF right on the reservoir cap too. Regular PS fluid is just too thin.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
hm thats funny i never saw it on mine... my label was .. messy.. good thing i looked up the fluid requirements before i replaced my pump haha.. i love supraforums... i attached pics before n after my braided wire wheel on an angle grinder cleaning session... i love power tools..

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
  • psb4.jpg
    psb4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kamil said:
so how come i've been using wal-mart power steering fluid without a problem? :dunno:

Toyota uses powers steering fluid from the factory too.

The Dexron is supposed to help quiet an aging pump. Or so I read somewhere. Kind of sounds like bullshit though.

SnowMongoose

May 20, 2005
Bellingham, WA
hmm, mebbe rockin dexron will solve my problem too
<thinkin either that, or mebbe mucho air in the system, belt is tight, res is full to the max line>
dexron - hoooooooo!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Nick M said:
Toyota uses powers steering fluid from the factory too.

The Dexron is supposed to help quiet an aging pump. Or so I read somewhere. Kind of sounds like bullshit though.

no it didn't

trust me i have had the car since 94. Never had power steering fluid. They USE dexron in there.

I wonder if it is because of the lubrication properties? :)