Fixing my power steering

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I bled the system and most of the noise is gone, however, I have no PS... Make sense? Meaning, turning the steering wheel, while the car is traveling slow, or stopped, is like having no power steering. Reservoir is full and pump only makes "obvious" noise when I get to the end (of a full turn).

I am using the Dexron III stuff (the only thing available at the auto parts) and it's supposed to be an equal substitie for Dexron II.

I'm gettin' ready top go check the belt again and the idle-up valve deal... Hopefully U guys may have some other suggestions if that doesn't pan out. Much appreciated!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I re-installed the 7m... installed a NEW engine harness (connected speed sensor deal-PPS to the rack), etc. The pump was working okay in th 787T, before I placed the setup in the 90T.

Come to think of it, I had a bit of a PS whine, while I had the 2J and 1J in there too (2 different pumps)... I have not checked that screen at all. Maybe that should be my next step, plus flush and refill?

Where is that screen at? Pics/diagrams? Thanx.

E

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Found that the big hose going to the pump is kinked. Getting another one now, but am wondering how to get all of the old fluid out of the reservoir, when I go to replace the hose... did you guys just catch the "spillage" somehow, or empty the reservoir first? How'd ya do it (with least mess)?

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Unbolt the resevoir, lay it on its side and take the hoses off and plug them with your fingers. Very little mess as long as your resevoir cap has a good seal. I just put another pump on mine today.

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
Just purchased my supra about a week ago and it has a laundry list of things to fix including the P/S system not functioning. The fluid looks grey with a light red colouring, i'm thinking someone put the wrong fluid in it to quiet the pump, has a light whine noticable when driving.

Should I try flushing the system and using fresh ATF3 or should I just swap pumps

Demianu27

Dec 22, 2005
haha, usa
GrimJack said:
Always try the easy stuff first - so flush it and see what happens.

My power steering was soo loud... until today.

I followed the advice on this forum for a simple flush of the system. The old fluid was the color of shit. It was so nasty looking.

I went through 2 full bottles of new fluid before the system started spitting out clean fluid. I then connected the hose back up and filled the fluid back and wow, my power steering is so quiet now.