First-try at paintjob complete! (56k warning)

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
HellsLegion said:
Sweet job man!

How did you do the Supra moulding in the back? I want to paint my mouldings white but want to keep Supra in black I guess. A good tape off job?

Kyle, reading is a FREAKIN sweet skill. I think he used a marker, one of the model ones.

And please dont paint your moldings white. Paint them grey or black.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I remember you struggling as well!!! Looks very good you should be proud....:icon_bigg Its alway nice to look at your hard work when its done. After I got my car painted I would stare at it just reminding myself how good I am........lol Looks great, now take what you have learned from that and improve on it. Go out and buy the tools yourself and it could be a great side income!!!!

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Great job, and don't worry about the dust and drips. All nice paint jobs get color sanded before they look so nice. They make some new buffers and pads that are guaranteed to not burn through your paint, I would recommend one of those. They also make 3000 grit sandpaper to put on DA sanders, about as rough as a piece of newspaper, works amazing for color sanding.

Good Luck on the details and once again, congrats on such a great job.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
white hides flaws well, well in pictures anyway.

people compliment my car online a lot, but would run in fear if seen in person

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
GR, I had to put my shades on to look at those pictures. The clearcoat is really shining. When you look at your old pics, you can see how dull it had gotten. It looks really sweet. Great job.....................:love:

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Thanks for all the kind words. I just got home from work, so sorry about the delay in answering questions.
The Toyota Supra on the back molding I did do with paint marker, after painting the moldings with Krylon Fusion (stuff works great).
The paint is called "Matrix System". I really like it, it has a ton of flake in it.
I did have a hard time with the basecoat at first. It kept pulling up the primer and getting a krinkle look, but only in certain spots. I believe the culprit was the Duplicolor paint prep wipes I used...I think they got absorbd into the primer in spots, and then reacted with the base coat. I also suspect we may have got lacquer thinner on a wipe rag. Anyway, I ended up re-primering the car, and 600 grit sanding, then the color. I still have a couple issues on the roof, but its not very noticeable. Lessons I learned painting this car:
1). Buy paint local. I bought this on the net, and could only get it 4 qts ata time. It would have been nice to be able to have gotten just 1 more quart of color.
2). Never clean between coats with anything but soap and water.
3). Never try to primer part of a panel and blend. Even though its hard to blend the metaflake, even more of a problem, at least in my case, was the base would pull the primer on the edges where it was thinnest.
4). Always let the primer dry a day before the basecoat. And let the basecoat dry a day before the clear no matter what the paint company tells ya!

Anyway, thanks for everyones kind words, and those who counseled me when I was struggling with it. This is a great community.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
and u did this in a garage? did u let it dry in the garage or out in the sun? very nice job.. kind of makes me consider doing it myself.. :)

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
The place we painted it was an old Horse barn converted into a big garage. He made a back room into a paint bay which it was seperate from everything else, had flourescent lights mounted along the walls, and a remote hookup for the air hose, and a fan/vent system (which wasn't working at the time). It wasn't very big, but it was enough room with one guy guiding the air hose so as not to rub up on the wet paint. I'm grateful he let me do it there.