First-try at paintjob complete! (56k warning)

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
I finally completed painting the Supra. I never tried painting a car before, and I ran into a few problems along the way while learning, but overall it turned out pretty well. I had discovered this spring that both my fenders had rotted out at the bottom, and I had a rust area over the pass side wheelwell, that ended up being a hole when I fixed it. So I got a couple fenders from Tubbie (thanks again!) and got to work. Here's a few pix. Its not perfect...there's a couple small runs in the clear I need to cut out/sand/buff, and there's some dust in the paint, but not a lot. The original paint had been touched up on the front bumper because the dude ran over his toolbox, so I had wanted to paint the car from the day I bought it even before the fender problem. The quater panel was bubbled under the paint when I bought it.
Let me know what you think! (don't laugh at the antenna, it's coming off. I just need to yank it outta there so I didn't bother covering it)

Before:
p362322_1.jpg

Fenders rotted:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

New fenders, and body work:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Paint bay:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finall result:
p362322_2.jpg

p362322_3.jpg

p362322_4.jpg

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Thanks! It's not perfect, but for a first try I'm happy with it. I had ditched the original moldings, put on the 89+ and repainted them (with Krylon) the TOYOTA SUPRA I did with a paint marker (like for modeling). I also replaced the mudgaurds as the 87 ones had the same problem as the molding (metal support rusting and warping).
The paint is the original 3h1, only in metaflake, and the paint brand is Matrix System. It laid down really nice.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Lookin good man... I've been tempted to try painting my car...

Hey, were you the burn out of the mnth in october? That looks like the pic... If so, congrats man...

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
yeah, that was us..thanks for the link!

I don't know what kind of compressor it was, it was a big floor model, old. I painted it at my sister-in-laws boyfriends step-dads (Phew!). The gun we used was a Binks pot set-up. We had a HVLP gun as well, but we couldn't get it to lay down as nice. Always wanted to "dry spray". The bimks was real nice with so many pressure adjustments, etc, but I had to watch, it had a tendencie to want to drip randomly. Kept the gun at 20 psi and adjusted the volume and fan from there.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
you need to tell us how long it took! i was thinking of buying a compressor and such instead of going to pay someone to paitn my car.
edit. today i finished my goal, i am 1337 in my post count.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I remember when you were struggling with having to repaint a few panels for various reasons. It looks to me that all your hard work and patience paid off in the end. It looks good man! I dont know how many times Ive been tempted to paint my own cars. But I tried it once way back in the 80's and the end result was something of a disaster, so Ive been hesitant to try again. (Never try to shoot imron paint with a rented compressor at 3AM without putting ALL the hardener in it first...LOL)

Congrats on a job well done!