Finally picked up a summer car... No Supra though :(

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well, recently my Maxima has been pissing me off... and I spend a lot of my time trolling craigslist for the common locals... Supra, 240sx, 240z, 280z, Fox body Mustang, 300zx, rx-7, anything that might give me some RWD Experience and enjoyment...

Well I came across an ad this morning with no price... a car, that is listed above, but had no price, so I figured, hey let me make an offer, even though I have no money, i have enough for a down payment to at least get papers signed and the ad taken down. So I exchanged e-mails with the gentleman and decided to make a 2 hour drive to look at the car.

As stated in the ad, the car was running (and might I say it sounded purdy) but was not moving, the clutch had recently been replaced, and now the car would not engage any gear but 4th :gotme: so I went out with pmohr to look at the car, and I was amazed that he accepted my offer...

Garage kept for the first 18 years of its life then sold in 05 to this guy, and now was possibly mine... the interior was the cleanest I had seen a non restored car of its age (1987), the car took a few seconds of cranking, but sounded clean as a whistle, and speaking of clean, there was no body rust what so ever, one small dent on the front left fender which could easily be hit out, and a very clean interior (aside from some cracks in the leather)... and one thing I have never had (aside from RWD), a 2 seater.. no more rear seats... oh and can't forget to mention the none leaking T Tops... well anyway... here is the baby.. and she only has 128k on her... oh, and a I might be picking up a VQ35 for her :)

1987 NA 5-Speed 300zx (z31) TTop 2 Seater Leather

DSC04355.jpg

DSC04356.jpg

DSC04357.jpg

DSC04358.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

DSC04364.jpg

DSC04367.jpg

DSC04368.jpg

DSC04369.jpg

DSC04366.jpg

DSC04365.jpg

DSC04363.jpg

DSC04359.jpg

That is all

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I like em, but direct comparisons between the MKIII Supra and the Z31 will show the Z being severely lacking...

No intercooler, no aftermarket for em, ect ect ect...

I also blame the Z31 for the whole "sleepy eye" craze LOL

I ALMOST bought one before I bought my Supra though, so I do still love me a nice clean Z31...

Now I want an older Z car...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have to say though, the MKIII (especially the 89+) looks very modern and isn't as dated as that car...

Look at the gauges for example...

Nissan also doesn't know how to make a "pretty" engine it seems...

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I feel the supra is a more well rounded car... But at the same time, for the price ($800) and its use (Just a nice car to drive) It is in better shape for the price then anything local. So I had to go with it

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Poodles;926964 said:
I have to say though, the MKIII (especially the 89+) looks very modern and isn't as dated as that car...

Look at the gauges for example...

Nissan also doesn't know how to make a "pretty" engine it seems...

My roomate has an 85 turbo z31 w/ the digital gauges, you will learn to love the analog gauges if you knew how crappy the digital dashes are.... as far as a VQ motor... cheaper to find a VG33de from a pathfinder and jack the turbo manifolds from a VG30det and keep the N/a 3.3 pistons, insta spool and the cars torque is absolutely SICK. Also you can (if they even exist anymore) find a 'shiro special' z31t and get the trans/flywheel and rearend out of it, they have a stouter nissan made trans(and not a crappy ass t5) and the rearend is a LSD with a shorter gear(dont remember the gear ratio off the top of my head) That combo makes a very respectable z31.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
buldozr;927610 said:
My roomate has an 85 turbo z31 w/ the digital gauges, you will learn to love the analog gauges if you knew how crappy the digital dashes are.... as far as a VQ motor... cheaper to find a VG33de from a pathfinder and jack the turbo manifolds from a VG30det and keep the N/a 3.3 pistons, insta spool and the cars torque is absolutely SICK. Also you can (if they even exist anymore) find a 'shiro special' z31t and get the trans/flywheel and rearend out of it, they have a stouter nissan made trans(and not a crappy ass t5) and the rearend is a LSD with a shorter gear(dont remember the gear ratio off the top of my head) That combo makes a very respectable z31.

From my research there is only a VG33E/ET, not VG33DE...

I would prefer, if I am going to upgrade, to gain DOHC vs .3 Liters

Also I can have a VQ35 for $200 locally and then I have to find a trans to bolt up...

That is the only reason I would go VQ35...

Would prefer to go VG30DE over a VG33E.