FCD: WIRING-How To... crispics w/manual...

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Had some questions over the years on FCD wiring. This is the "K-Type" for the PFC F-con into the TP-14 harness. This harness attaches directly into the stock ECU. I can only speak for my experience, and I'll limit the post to the HKS FCD Manual + Pictures illustrating MY case... but questions or comments are welcome to add to this or enhance the information.

NOTE: I have created a short "extension" between the FCD unit and the attach to TP-14 harness (PFC F-con side) The colors are CLOSE to FCD, except the RED on the FCD/PFC F-con is almost BROWN on the extension segment. I also show a pic of JUST the FCD up to the mating wires on the TP-14 harness segment for reference. Hope this is helpful to someone.

p1621458_1.jpg

p1621458_2.jpg

p1621458_3.jpg

p1621458_4.jpg

p1621458_5.jpg

p1621458_6.jpg

p1621458_7.jpg

^^^ This is showing the match-up of the FCD leads to the 4-wire (trailer hitch type) extension segment. RED on FCD is "BROWN" on the extension.)

p1621458_8.jpg

^^^ This is showing the FCD leads DIRECTLY to the PFC F-con leads they connect to.

p1621458_9.jpg

Dragging all the harnesses out! (I have MULTIPLE HKS components, so VARIOUS "taps" into the PFC F-con and related equipment... so your experience may differ.)

p1621458_10.jpg

p1621458_11.jpg

p1621458_12.jpg

p1621458_13.jpg

p1621458_14.jpg

p1621458_15.jpg

p1621458_16.jpg

p1621458_17.jpg

NOTE the white lead WITHIN the PFC-F-con TP-14 harness needs "SPLIT" and the white end from the ECU side goes to the YELLOW lead on the FCD and the other end of the white lead split goes to the WHITE lead on the FCD. GET THIS RIGHT!;)

p1621458_18.jpg

p1621458_19.jpg

p1621458_20.jpg

TA-DAAAA!:biglaugh:

-crisp

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
this is a great write up but for some reason my tp14 harness dont look anything like that
my wire has all these weird marking on the wire like red with silver dash of paint on it and some red wire with blk strip and silver dash and red with just blk strip and that really confuse me

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
ma70t;1622046 said:
this is a great write up but for some reason my tp14 harness dont look anything like that
my wire has all these weird marking on the wire like red with silver dash of paint on it and some red wire with blk strip and silver dash and red with just blk strip and that really confuse me

Hmmm... I'd say by the pics you sent before that your harness has been "tapped" into before, but I don't know which connections from what I could see. Look in the "general" segment I illustrate with my pics and sift through the wires, as there SHOULD be either a soldered "tap" from the original bullet connectors (like mine still has) on the TP-14 for the GREEN and RED and the WHITE should have a similar "bullet" joint or otherwise some form of noticeable point where it was "split" and now connected. (Butt connector or soldered?) Some of this may be under electrical tape. Look closely at your harness and compare to mine. Even mine has the TP-14 side green, yellow, white and red "tap" into wires that are similar to your description. i.e.: SOLID green from FCD and on bullet segment split out of the harness has a black stripe on the harness green that it taps into for example.

G/L!

-crisp

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Crisp, you are officially the "Gizmo-gadget-SUPER-FREAK"!! Look at all the stuff in your car! Does your car require a 1.21 Jig-A-Watt Alternator!?

Sorry. I know I didn't add or enhance your information; but, this is a great write-up!

Good work and keep feeding that Flux Capacitor! ;)

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
CajunKenny;1622253 said:
Crisp, you are officially the "Gizmo-gadget-SUPER-FREAK"!! Look at all the stuff in your car! Does your car require a 1.21 Jig-A-Watt Alternator!?

Sorry. I know I didn't add or enhance your information; but, this is a great write-up!

Good work and keep feeding that Flux Capacitor! ;)

Dilithium Crystals, actually!;)

...speaking of gizmos... I made some adjustments to the other alphabet soup letters while I was fooling around...

p1622275_1.jpg

Switched the GCC's graphic adjustment points to boost from rpm recently, and just shifted the scale from 0.4hg 0.0hg 0.4 0.8 1.2 to 0.6 0.0 0.5 1.0 1.2 1.5 Although I don't boost that high, the slight shift in the lower and mid ranges made a nice affect on my tuning points.:)

Never off-topic when it's about the car, Kenny!

-crisp

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
Did you ever run the VPC/Fcon without the FCD? I have been running VPC/GCC only for years, but i am going to add a Fcon to the mix. Do i need the FCD?

Thanks

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
SupraDrew;1622427 said:
Did you ever run the VPC/Fcon without the FCD? I have been running VPC/GCC only for years, but i am going to add a Fcon to the mix. Do i need the FCD?

Thanks

I have personally NEVER run it WITHOUT the FCD. Car had ONLY PFC F-con and FCD and EVC I when I started out. Later the VPC then the 440cc to 550cc injector & chip change. I DO KNOW that if the FCD ground came loose even AFTER I had the VPC and such, it DID cause me to have fuel cut! (Although I HAVE heard some people say to DON'T NEED the FCD if you use the VPC... I DO NOT know that to be the case in my experience.)

I am just sticking with the HKS INSTRUCTIONS since the beginning... nearly 16 years with the car now, and NO ISSUES even with various upgrades over the years.;)

NOTE: I have a GREAT internal contact at HKS. I might give him a call some time and see if he knows EXACTLY what is going on there, as there are MANY MANY features in the HKS components over the years that were NEVER disclosed to the public! (Such as DIP switches that totally CHANGED the function of some units, etc... which were NOT in any manual, and "couched" as SEND IN FOR SERVICE items previously in the public eye!)

-crisp

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
Good info, i will have to put my Fcon in and see what is does.

I see you have the manual for the GCC, is there any way you can scan it for me? I have been looking all over and have not been able to find that one. Looks to be in great shape also.

Thanks

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
SupraDrew;1622486 said:
Good info, i will have to put my Fcon in and see what is does.

I see you have the manual for the GCC, is there any way you can scan it for me? I have been looking all over and have not been able to find that one. Looks to be in great shape also.

Thanks

Of course! Lately, my scanner has been "down" but I use my Ricoh and shoot a photo. The FCD manual I posted earlier is exactly that! Quick and hopefully legible and usable files. I'll have to get to it later though. (I think I have a number of pdf files on HKS manuals... I'll have to scan or photo them as well!)

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
supra90turbo;1622814 said:
I love this pic, Chris! Glad the car is doing well?

Thanks! The car is doing almost TOO well! Runs so good I almost feel "guilty" or even like it's a ticking... ticking... ticking... (can't bring myself to say it...)

SHAZZZAAAAM! Every time I mash the throttle...:biglaugh:

-crisp

SupraDrew

Apr 27, 2007
South Texas
crisp;1622651 said:
Of course! Lately, my scanner has been "down" but I use my Ricoh and shoot a photo. The FCD manual I posted earlier is exactly that! Quick and hopefully legible and usable files. I'll have to get to it later though. (I think I have a number of pdf files on HKS manuals... I'll have to scan or photo them as well!)

-crisp

That would be awsome, i have been wanting to try the GCC with the boost referance instead of the RPM. What difference did you notice with the change? I have some HKS manuals scanned, let me know if are in need of one.

Thanks
Drew

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
SupraDrew;1622873 said:
That would be awsome, i have been wanting to try the GCC with the boost referance instead of the RPM. What difference did you notice with the change? I have some HKS manuals scanned, let me know if are in need of one.

Thanks
Drew

No problem! Biggest difference I encountered is that the fuel curve is MUCH more contingent upon BOOST + RPM with heavy bias on BOOST LEVEL at any given RPM then simply RPM alone. When you are trimming the fuel level as an RPM specific variable, you are assuming the boost level to be essentially "constant" otherwise, whereas in fact, the BOOST level is what dictates the greatest variance in fuel trim NEED over the RPM. Essentially, boost doesn't "HIT" until around 3k~5k depending on your turbo size, etc... so the SLOPE for the fuel delivery gain through that RPM is a huge transition point that is hard to tune, PLUS you have the onset of boost pressure rise off a fuel pressure regulator to deal with. By trimming for BOOST pressure, you are better able to prioritize your fuel need at any given RPM as a byproduct of the spool-up, which has the finer resolution across the entire RPM range and seems to net the better tuneability from my experience.

Also, by using BOOST for the fuel trim driving force, it lets you better control VACUUM state fuel, i.e.: TRIM BACK fuel at 0.6 vac on snap off throttle and CURB the fuel that RPM would otherwise "dump" causing idle/stall more easily. Helped me to MOSTLY solve my off-throttle slow-down to a stop tendency for the car to want to DIE. Now it trims the fuel on hard vac more aggressively and settles into idle without loading up like it did before. (I know, I know... a stand alone would do ALL of that and TONS more! Just try to RIDE and TUNE with a laptop though...:biglaugh: MUCH easier with a little dial at your fingertips wherein you can gently "click/click/click" up and back a notch or so as you actually load the car in differing gears and boost levels while you drive. FUN!;)

Hope that made SOME sense... I'm not too astute this afternoon from a day of shenanigans here in the office! DOH!

G/L!

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
SupraDrew;1622873 said:

Thanks
Drew

I haven't forgotten! My apologies for the long delay... no excuse, but buried here!

...hopefully soon...

-crisp

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
I spy a BCT7 in the glove box! I have one in my daily driver - comes in handy when the highway patrol are using their plane to pace vehicles for speeding :3d_frown:. My V1 handles everything else when they try to fry us with microwaves or laser beams.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
pb92supraturbo;1633479 said:
I spy a BCT7 in the glove box! I have one in my daily driver - comes in handy when the highway patrol are using their plane to pace vehicles for speeding :3d_frown:. My V1 handles everything else when they try to fry us with microwaves or laser beams.

GOOD EYE! I love my BCT7! (Sorry, I missed this post!) I also use the V1 with mine.:biglaugh:

Just catching up on posting that GCC II manual, too! DOH! Sorry I overlooked this!

p1680019_1.jpg

p1680019_2.jpg

p1680019_3.jpg

p1680019_4.jpg

p1680019_5.jpg

...hope that helps someone out there...

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
trofimovich;1864810 said:
Thank You! Very useful information!

You are welcome! Very happy to see all those words and pics MIGHT help someone else out there. Good luck with your experience!

-crisp

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm so glad i found this. i just picked up a fcd and a good electronic boost controller. i know a lot of people say not to use the fcd, but in my case it will be temporary. i hit fuel cut occasionally below 10psi, and i'd like to get at least one good track run out of her before i tear it all down. lol
i will be printing this thread out when i install the unit.
thanks...........