Factory Supra Speaker sizes.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have a set of component Boston acoustics and they sound fantastic. Not much bass, but for just 2 5.25 woofers, they do their job.

I'll be trying to add a small sub next summer, but I would STRONGLY recommend Boston speakers to anyone that can get a hold of some for less than retail. :)

Fronts only sounds good, too. :)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Just needing to know what actual size can be directly installed in the 91's front speaker pods.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Kewl.. since I have 5.25's in the rear, I did not want to mismatch the sizes too much. Figured I'd go with 6" if they were a direct fit, but the size/application charts don't show it as a direct fit for our Sups for some reason.

Since I will be ordering them (never, ever, pay retail), I want to make sure and get the least troublesome size to install.

FWIW, I had some 4" Infinities in my 87T and they did awesome. Weren't that expensive but did the job... been about 7 years tho.

NIXmx

Oct 7, 2007
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
I own a 90 Cressida and My friend just bought an 88 Turbo Supra. I currently am in a predicament and I know my buddy will have the same sooner or later knowing him. Would anyone like to chime in on tweeter placement? I bought Alpine Type R components for my previous car but never installed them. Now I have to put them in the rear deck because of size issues. I'm thinking the top of the 'c' pillar.

But enough about me and my Cress, what about the Supra (MkIII)? Where would you place tweeters in the front? I'm a huge fan of proper imaging.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have seen them in the door panels, near the stock speaker and I have seen 'em placed in the area where the plastic triangular piece is (at the bottom front of the door window - where the outside mirror is fastened).

A friend of mine is telling me to place a speaker & tweeter in the center of the dash, for the 5.1 effect (center channel). Sounds great in the setup he has in his Mazda (he's also using the Alpine PXA-700 processor tho).

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
The 5.1 issue: do NOT use a center channel speaker without a 5.1 processor...it will sound like SHAT. Been there, installed that, customer even hated it. If you feel the need for 5.1 in your car ( I don't know why...) use a single-din speaker like NIXmx suggested. I know Alpine makes one.

Tweeter placement: I just drilled a 3/4" hole into the door of my supra and mounted the tweeter there. As far as perfect imaging, the best thing to do would be to put the tweeter in the kick panel. Don't put your tweeters behind you. Hell, don't put ANY speakers behind you for imaging that's better than "piss poor". And PLEASE...PLEASE don't power a component set off of just the headunit's internal amp. Component sets--or at least any that are worth a shit--require at least 100wrms, usually more around 150. My Diamond Audio components only "require" 100wrms, I'm driving them with 200wrms of CLEAN power (most important word: clean) and they sound phenomenal.

For great imaging, spend your money on a good set of components, placed up front, with a good amp to drive them that puts out CLEAN power. Adding a sub is also a must for great imaging, 6.5" speakers just cannot put out the lower notes that even an 8" subwoofer can.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Hmmmm...

May only be looking at the processor/5.1 set up for the wife's MKIV. I did not know about that 1-DIN Center channel.... will definitely go that route, instead of fabbing/modding things up.

Keeping it simple in mine... Headunit 52x4 and using 65wrms/130wpeak component set (KICKER KS5.2). Using an amp to drive the 2 subs... 8" and maybe 10" or 12".

Gonna use the 8" for all-around and the 10" or 12" for that deeeeep stuff.

NIXmx

Oct 7, 2007
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
Take some pictures, sounds like a crowded hatch :). 2 10s were good for me. They had a nice response, cleanly hit in a wide range of frequencies, and the box I made (sealed) deep notes sound great.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Satan said:
Just needing to know what actual size can be directly installed in the 91's front speaker pods.
6.5" You may need to cut the back of the pod out if you have a deep speaker though.

As for tweeter placement, the 91 pods have tweeter mounts in them too :)

I should really take some pictures of my install in my 91.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
please don't drive a component set with a headunit...*sigh* A headunit only puts out between 17-21wrms, that's less than 1/3 what that component set needs, let alone WANTS.

I ought to post pics of the setup in my tC.

Any why're we doing 5.1 in a car anyway???

Oh, and, HI ROB!!! :) Miss me at all?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The wife has an inherited problem with eventual hearing loss in one of her ears. The 5.1 provides a bit of clarity in "voices" that I've heard 1st hand (talk radio especially... not that she listens to any of that tho). So, silencing as much as I can with Dynamat and making things as rich/clear as I can in hers. May not really need to go 5.1 tho. She also likes the BOOM, so I'm just doing what I can for her, without going way too overboard.

Mine, just the basics as I've had with my other MKIIIs... decent speakers, high-powered head unit, amp/sub is all I've ever had/needed and did the trick for me. Not going for the competition winning setup... just what sounds decent in the car and I can always upgrade later, if needed.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Satan said:
Yes, yes, yes...pictures please!!

Door%20speakers.jpg

Booyeah!

It's a 6.5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I don't see the tweeter mount. Is that what the tweeter is fastened to? I was thinking that I'd mount the tweeter up, towards the inside of the mirror bracket (putting a hole in the door panel to mount it to).

...edit: Nevermind... saw pics of someone else's pods outside of the car. Kewl.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Satan said:
I don't see the tweeter mount. Is that what the tweeter is fastened to? I was thinking that I'd mount the tweeter up, towards the inside of the mirror bracket (putting a hole in the door panel to mount it to).

...edit: Nevermind... saw pics of someone else's pods outside of the car. Kewl.
Yeah, the mount's hard to see, but it is part of the plastic pod.