Factory Supra Speaker sizes.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
I've done a bit of reading here, and see some reocmmendations for the front door speaker to be 4'' and back to be 5'' and 1/8, and then others saying 4'' for the front and back.

My question is if anybody knows what the factory sizes are, if there is any data sheet or knowledgeable brain?

I have a GT Limited 1989 MKIII Supra, and on the front doors it has its normal 4'' or so speaker, and a smaller tweeter right under it.

At the rear I have two on each side, so total 8speakers (including the two tweeters on each door) for its factory layout.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
CryoSlash said:
4 inch front, 6x4's in back iirc.

Thanks, any others to confirm? :)

I'll take some pics when I get home today of all the speaker layout inside just incase people are wondering how exactly the 8 speakers are there.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Just got on the comp, and transferred over the pics from my phone.

Attachments

• vas85_supra_front01.jpg
    vas85_supra_front01.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 335
  • vas85_supra_rear01.jpg
    vas85_supra_rear01.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 463
  • vas85_supra_rear02.jpg
    vas85_supra_rear02.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 360

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
The speakers are 4" in the front doors, 5" in the rear firing upward toward the hatch pillars... The reason you are hearing people say 4" in the rear is due to the fact that 5" speakers are not commonly manufactured any more (I believe only a couple aftermarket companies still produce them), as they were replaced by 5.25"... The 4" speakers fit in easily with an "adaptor" without any customization, while the 5.25" requires a bit of cutting, but can be made to fit...

To add a bit more confusion to the mess, certain Supras came with a third pair of smaller speakers behind the rear seat... I've heard that they are either 3.5" round or an odd sized small oval (I believe they're oval)... Later 1991 models received 6" speakers up front... And some VERY RARE 1991+ models received a subwoofer.

I'm guessing you have the 4" front 5" rear setup, along with the funky little oval "extra" speakers... I'd say get rid of the "extra" speakers completely and do a bit of customization, it's well worth it, and really not that hard... I, personally, got a pair of 6" speaker pods from a newer model off eBay for my fronts (they mount exactly as the 4" pods do), and I don't plan to run rears. If you can't get a hold of those pods, it's pretty easy to fabricate MDF spacers if you have a bit of handyman skills (I'm not saying cut the door panels, I'm saying fabricate a MDF mount to fit in place of the factory 4" pods)... But DEFINITELY try to get something larger than 4" up front (these cars are designed ass backward with the small speakers up front and larger ones behind)... For rears (if you plan to run them), it's your choice on what to do... Keep in mind that they're more for rear passengers and a bit of fill, neither of which are very important in this car, so 4" would probably do fine... If you manage to run 6"s or larger up front, then you may want to go ahead and trim the box opening to fit 5.25"s. Simple solution.

I don't advise getting an amp unless you get a sub. If you up the power to the speakers, you should cut the lower frequencies out in order to maximize speaker power handeling and efficiency. If you cut out the lows, and don't add a sub to replace them, it will sound like crap (as you are losing anywhere from 10-40% of your music, depending on where you cross-over).

Good luck,

-James

Last edited:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks very much James, appreciate the long post! Great read, i'll definitely also lookup for 6'' pods or so for the fronts, and see what I can find or probably just wait it out a bit. I am going to install a sub but only a moderate 8-10'' and it'll be custom mounted in the boot with full fibreglass pod that me and my neighbor are going to make.

Thanks again! much appreciate, gives me excellent hope to find 5'' for the back seats pair.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
No problem man,

What kind of music do you mostly listen to? What is your purpose with this system (loud, clean, both)?

Let me know and we can work on piecing something together for ya.

-James

Live_Free_Or_Die

Nov 5, 2006
La Verne, CA
Thanks for clarifying the speaker sizes. Every thread on this subject seems to give different sizes for the rear speakers.
I really want a nice sounding system in my car. I used to have a Camry with 3.5 Infinity Kappa's in the front and 6.5 Infinity Kappa components in the rear. I didn't have them amplified though and it sounded like crap. I was expecting better from those speakers. I recently rented a pontiac G6 (when my supra was being repaired) and the stock stereo sounded really great and never distorted no matter how loud it was tuned.
I already bought some six inch pods for the front but don't know what kind of speakers to get. I mostly listen to hard rock and metal. I was thinking of getting subwoofers or an Infinity Basslink (has the amp built in), but if I do than I want to do some customization and have it replace the rear seat that i NEVER use instead of taking up the space in my trunk which i frequently use. If I do get a sub, do I necessarily need a capacitor?
Thanks for any input,

Jeremy

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Jeremy,

No problem at all... I've been pretty disappointed with the audio forums on this site (which I guess is understandable considering this is mostly a performance / repair oriented site), so I'll try to contribute wherever I can...

Simply put, there is only so much you can do with a 4" speaker... No matter how "good" the speaker is, it will never be able to produce an acceptable portion of the audible frequency range... While you can compensate for some of that lost low end using a subwoofer, you are still losing a substantial portion of midbass (as most subwoofers aren't really efficient over 80hz, and most 4" speakers aren't really efficient below 120hz, so you're losing that entire 40hz spectrum)... Most 6.5" speakers can comfortably be crossed-over at 80hz, so while there may be an awkward transition from sub to midbass (different issue for a different topic), at least you have the entire range.

Toyota obviously threw the sound system in these cars (and several other models of theirs) as an afterthought... In all fairness, it's not just Toyota, it's many manufacturers... They simply put whatever size speaker would fit, wherever it would fit (fortunately these manufacturers have become more wise to the fact that audio is becomming an important factor, and they generally have better layouts in newer vehicles)... The rear speakers should NEVER be larger than the front... The fronts should always be the same, if not larger than the rears... Even people who aren't audio purists generally prefer to be immersed in the sound, with a slightly forward sound stage (purists actually prefer the full front sound stage with minimal rear fill)... Fortunately our Supras at least have the front speakers in the doors, which require very little modification in order to fit the speaker sizes we really want (even without getting a hold of the '91+ speaker pods it's simple to fabricate MDF spacers to fit 6.5" speakers in the factory locations), and you don't have to cut holes in the trim (so the interior of the car appears stock). I would recommend trimming the holes where the 4" speakers used to fire through in order to get the most out of the larger speakers, but this isn't necessary.

For speakers to check out... I'd at least take a look at Boston Acoustics SL series, Alpine Type S and Type R series and Eclipse Point Source series (of these I like the Alpine Rs and the Boston SLs the best). The reasons I'm recommending these speakers are that #1 they offer EXCELLENT sound quality, especially for the money spent on them, #2 they are easy to find, #3 they can be had for very reasonable prices if you look in the right places, and #4 they will all sound very good powered straight off an aftermarket headunit, however they will all sound much better if powered by an external amp (so basically, you will be very pleased powering them straight off the head, however they give you plenty of room for upgrading). There are plenty of other speakers out there as well, but I've been impressed by each of the speakers I mentioned for different reasons...

As far as subs go... I'd go for a single or pair of 10" subs to best suit your rock/metal needs. A 10" sub will generally be more responsive than larger cones, which is a huge benefit for guitar and percussion. They won't offer as much low end as larger subs, which is a mild trade off for the added responsiveness, however that wont really come into play as much unless you listen to industrial, electronica or other types of music that are more heavily dependent on the lower ends of the spectrum. On the other end, a 10" does offer deeper bass, and is nearly as accurate as an 8" sub, and will offer more low end "kick". A couple added perks of going with a 10" over a larger sub are the facts that they usually take up less space, require less power and weigh a bit less than comparable 12"+ subs ;-). I'd check out JL W3v2s, W3v3s and Alpine Type Rs... All three subs are VERY impressive, and can be had for a reasonable amount. Also, they don't require a lot of power to drive efficiently, however they will take (and love) whatever you throw at them. Go for a ported or vented box (not a bandpass, but a box) to best suit your music. Just make sure it's built / tuned to the specifications of whichever sub you wind up with.

I'm, personally, a huge fan of capacitors... There is a lot of debate as to whether or not capacitors really make a difference, however this is heavily based on the misunderstanding of what capacitors are really intended for... Capacitors are NOT a replacement for upgraded batteries or alternators, they are simply a buffer to your vehicles electrical system. The reduction in light dimming and such are positive side effects, however adding a cap is not the cure for alternator whine, dimming lights, clipping, amplifier cut-out, etc... The first thing you should do if you experience light dimming or other power related issues is upgrade your battery... I'm not saying you should go all out with an Optima or an Odyssey Dry-cell... a $60 battery with a larger power reserve and more Cold Cranking Amps should be all it takes, especially if your current battery has a bit of age on it (assuming you aren't pushing kilowatts). Now, with all that said, a capacitor will DEFINITELY benefit your sound system... It will usually extend your battery life, alternator life, prevent power surges and reduce the effects of temporary power dips. It will protect your amps AND your electrical system... I'm not sure how much power you are looking to run, but most people recommend going for 1 Farad per 1000 Watts (RMS) you are running... With the cost of capacitors now-a-days, I'd say double that (there's never any harm in extra capacity)... I ran a 5 Farad cap while running around 1800 Watts RMS...

If you decide not to go for a cap up front, I'd definitely leave room for expansion... The easiest way to do this is to run your power from your battery to the rear seats and split it with a THREE-way distributor block to both of your amps (assuming you're using 2 amps)... That way you have the third output when you decide to add the cap. I'd use a three-way distributor even if you're only running one amp for the same reason (you can add a second amp and a cap later on without rewiring). Just makes life a bit easier ;-).

Anyhow, sorry for the long post... I hope I've helped at least a bit. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have and I'll get to them when possible.

Take care,

-James

Last edited:

Live_Free_Or_Die

Nov 5, 2006
La Verne, CA
Wow, thanks for the very detailed response, I'm aiming to find a good deal on some Boston Acoustics on ebay for the doors, as I've always heard good things about them. I'm not sure what I'll do for the subwoofers yet, for I'll have to see how much I want to spend once I get a steady income this summer.
Thanks a lot for your help though, especially for the advice on the cap. I actually had lights dimming with the 6 speaker Infinity setup on my Camry, so if I get that on my Supra I guess I should get a good capacitor as well as a better battery. I was never quite sure exactly what problems the Cap would solve.
-Jeremy

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
No problem at all.

Just a heads up, even if you get a hold of the 6" speaker pods, you'll still have to shave them down a bit on the inside depending on what speaker you wind up with. The Boston Acoustics have neodymium magnets, which are MUCH smaller than the magnets in comparable speakers, however their speaker basket is a tad wide for the pod, requiring one of the inner walls of the pod to be ground / cut out a bit (one of the walls of the pod intrudes a bit into the mount, it's an easy job). Alpines, Focals, JLs and other comparable speakers have larger magnets, which require cutting / trimming the bottom of the pod to get them to fit properly (the bottom of the 6" pod wraps about half way around the factory speaker magnet, which is pretty small... once again, this is a pretty easy job).

-James

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
This is a very helpful thread, it should be stickied or something. People keep asking about factory speakers and we should have a solid base for what size they are.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I'd like to chime in on the whole cap thing. Along with upgrading your battery, before adding a cap you should look into a H/O alternator, and try upgrading your power and ground wires; the ones that go to your battery, alternator, starter, and ground, not the power wires for the amp. Only after doing this should you even think about a cap.

On the subject of speakers, as much as I like his recommendations, speakers are all personal preference. If they sound good to you, that's all that's important. In all fairness, throwing focals in there wasn't really even on the same page as JLs or Alpines; comparing a pair of $1000 components to some $300 components is just not fair.

I'm another one of the purists who believes firmly in using only front speakers unless you're running a surround system for movies. I currently run some Eclipse 525 point source series in my car and they sound phenomenal!

In closing, whatever you choose to do, is just that--your choice. Good luck!

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
I'd like to chime in on the whole cap thing. Along with upgrading your battery, before adding a cap you should look into a H/O alternator, and try upgrading your power and ground wires; the ones that go to your battery, alternator, starter, and ground, not the power wires for the amp. Only after doing this should you even think about a cap.

On the subject of speakers, as much as I like his recommendations, speakers are all personal preference. If they sound good to you, that's all that's important. In all fairness, throwing focals in there wasn't really even on the same page as JLs or Alpines; comparing a pair of $1000 components to some $300 components is just not fair.

I'm another one of the purists who believes firmly in using only front speakers unless you're running a surround system for movies. I currently run some Eclipse 525 point source series in my car and they sound phenomenal!

In closing, whatever you choose to do, is just that--your choice. Good luck!

I gotta debate a couple things there bro... Focal, along with Alpine and JL make a "full" range of speakers (including a pair of $250-$300 components, and much less expensive coaxials). I never said to go all out and get Alpine Type X, JL ZR or Focal Polyglass / Utopia speakers... Focals higher end speakers tap higher markets than both Alpine and JL, but their "entry" lines fall along the same lines as Alpine and JL upper mid-level lines (Type R and XR).

Also, if he doesn't plan to run some serious power (or to CONTINUOUSLY run his system at max) I'd say don't fix what's not broken (alternator). Stick with what you got, and if you still feel power strain after the battery upgrade, only THEN consider upgrading the alternator... The power and ground cables can be upgraded / replaced if desired, and would make an improvement (especially on older vehicles like these), however this isn't even necessary. Start with the battery and go from there, and take it step by step 'till you reach a point where your car is comfortable with the current flow. I ran nearly 2000 Watts RMS in my Solara flawlessly without ever upgrading the alternator or power/ground wires... In all fairness, it was a MUCH newer car (2004) and probably had a higher output alternator from the start... but I seriously doubt he's considering running even half that power in the Supra (just from what he's said in his posts)...

With all that said, I completely agree with TTL as far as the final decision being YOUR choice. The speakers I recommended were just that, recommendations for quality speakers that sounded (to me) like ones that would suit what you are trying to do. There are many other speakers out there that you may like (as I stated in an earlier post), so don't just limit your decision to the ones I mentioned. Just make sure you check them out and give them consideration before you decide.

Anyhow, not trying to argue... just trying to keep it realistic for what it sounds like the final goals are...

Peace,

-James

Last edited:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks for the replies especially Prodigy.

What i'm after is just a very crisp clean sound, with a hint of bass... im' not after monstrous bass at all I prefer clarity over everything, but just want a little kick which is why i'm looking towards a 8'' pioneer flat sub to be mounted in my boot on the side left quarter panel from inside the boot were the stock toyota tools are kept. If this idea goe sforward will be made with fibre glass.

What's your idea on what I require, given what i'm after...?? :)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
theprodigy79 said:
I gotta debate a couple things there bro... Focal, along with Alpine and JL make a "full" range of speakers (including a pair of $250-$300 components, and much less expensive coaxials). I never said to go all out and get Alpine Type X, JL ZR or Focal Polyglass / Utopia speakers... Focals higher end speakers tap higher markets than both Alpine and JL, but their "entry" lines fall along the same lines as Alpine and JL upper mid-level lines (Type R and XR).

Also, if he doesn't plan to run some serious power (or to CONTINUOUSLY run his system at max) I'd say don't fix what's not broken (alternator). Stick with what you got, and if you still feel power strain after the battery upgrade, only THEN consider upgrading the alternator... The power and ground cables can be upgraded / replaced if desired, and would make an improvement (especially on older vehicles like these), however this isn't even necessary. Start with the battery and go from there, and take it step by step 'till you reach a point where your car is comfortable with the current flow. I ran nearly 2000 Watts RMS in my Solara flawlessly without ever upgrading the alternator or power/ground wires... In all fairness, it was a MUCH newer car (2004) and probably had a higher output alternator from the start... but I seriously doubt he's considering running even half that power in the Supra (just from what he's said in his posts)...

With all that said, I completely agree with TTL as far as the final decision being YOUR choice. The speakers I recommended were just that, recommendations for quality speakers that sounded (to me) like ones that would suit what you are trying to do. There are many other speakers out there that you may like (as I stated in an earlier post), so don't just limit your decision to the ones I mentioned. Just make sure you check them out and give them consideration before you decide.

Anyhow, not trying to argue... just trying to keep it realistic for what it sounds like the final goals are...

Peace,

-James
Actually, I respect you alot more after this post. Most people when their opinions differ resort to blatant disrespect; instead you calmly explained why your opinion differs. For that I give you an e-cookie :D

Personally, I would upgrade at least the power/ground wires at the same time as doing the battery, as it's an easy fix, along with new battery terminals. The alternator thing is debatable, but I prefer to have extra juice than not enough.

In regards to Focal, I say if you're going to get Focals, you may as well go with their higher end stuff, or don't get them. Same thing with Rainbow. JL and Alpine I don't consider to have the quality that Focal and Rainbow posess, but that's personal opinion. Honestly I think the OP would be fine with a set of Infinity Kappa or Perfect series components. If I hadn't picked up the Eclipse 525PS for so cheap I wouldn't be running these either, I'd be running some TREO comps.

In any case, like I said, I have a great deal of respect for you as of now, so it was nice chatting. :D

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Likewise my friend, it's always good to have a variety of opinions around... Otherwise the world would be pretty bland, wouldn't it? There are usually many ways to go about achieving a goal, and sometimes when a few creative minds come together the better way is found. ;-)

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fit the Z6s out of my Solara in the doors of my Supra :p

Take care,

-James

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I am finishing up my 91... I had already bought 2 sets of 5.25" ones (Kicker KS52) for the '90 Supra and am installing into the 91 instead. So I now have to look at what my simplest route needs to be (while still producing decent sound).

I replaced the far-rears with 5.25" and put the tweeters in the front-facing rears. I have the larger 6" speakers up front that I will be replacing. Without ALOT of modification, can I replace with 6" Kickers (Circuit City says they don't fit)? I wouldn't mind the 6.5" ones either, unless I have to spend more time making modifications (I already have lots of other stuff to do). I am using a 4x52W Head Unit and will be using an amp for 2 10 subs I already have.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kick...17435/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

FYI, I am only going for moderate-to-good sound in my Sup. Gonna really do it up in the wife's 94 and even get the Alpine PXA701 multimedia processor to make sure that she gets the clearest/tuned sound she can have.

Last edited: