Factory Supra Speaker sizes.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Heh.

I put tweeter mounts into the "sail" panels that cover the inside of the mirrors. They look okay there, and work quite nicely. I'm actually looking at swapping out my 4" separates since I scored a pair of 6.5" speaker mounts out of a JZA70. I have a set of MB Quart 6.5" separates that will be taking their place.

The 6.5" mounts from the JZA760 were something of a disappointment, however, since they're basically just an open baffle. My plan is to use these as a template for building a fibreglass pod that will fit in the '86.5-90 door and house a 6.5" speaker of any reasonable proportion.

I used to have a pair of 6.5" speakers in the lower door, in an enclosure that replaced the map pockets, but they were a bit bulky. I sold those off last year so that I'd have a good reason to start over.

I will have 2 sets of 6.5" speakers and a tweeter in the car this summer. (1 set of Kicker 6.5" midbass drivers, and 1 set of MB Quart 6.5" separates.)

If it's worth my while, I may make sealed 6.5" speaker mounts for the Mk3 doors for other people.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/pro...1=105&productID=1901&walmartProductID=5192558

0071266031877_500X500.jpg

Item Description

This 4" 2-way speaker system is designed to drop in quickly and easily into a multitude of automobiles. The Lightning Audio pair include killer looking grilles that show the world you have got LA speakers or they can be mounted behind your factory grilles for stealth installations.

Key Features & Benefits:
# 3/4-inch PEI tweeter
Enjoy the unrivalled sensitivity of this brand of tweeter
# Speaker grills and speaker wire included
Configure your setup however you like, or change it when the mood suits you
# Polypropylene cone
Rugged and light, this cone responds and endures whatever you can dish out
# Foam surround
Gives and flexes to survive the wear and tear

Technical Information

# Output Power30W (RMS) / 90W (PMPO)

# Driver Type0.75" PEI PEI Tweeter

# Frequency Response80Hz to 20kHz

Physical Characteristics

# MaterialFoam - Surround

Miscellaneous

# Package ContentsB3.40.2 Full Range Speaker
# Speaker Grills
# Speaker Wire

Additional Information
# Polypropylene Cone
# Mounting Diameter: 3.69"
# Mounting Depth: 1.69
# Crossover: 6dB/octave high-pass for tweeter

Compatibility
# Vehicles:BMW
# Buick
# Chevrolet
# Chrysler
# Ford
# Geo
# Isuzu
# Jeep
# Mazda
# Mercedes-Benz
# Mercury
# Nissan
# Oldsmobile
# Saab
# Subaru
# Toyota

Top of Page

Specifications

Model No.:

B3.40.2
Shipping Weight (in pounds):

Product in Inches (L x W x H):

15.5 x 3.0 x 8.0
Assembled in Country of Origin:

USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components:

USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.:

these any good? the range is from 80hz to 20kHZ

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, those should fit in the doors of any '86.5 - '90 Supra. Whether they actually sound good... Well, that's debatable. I imagine that they'll sound better than ~20 year old factory speakers, but I'd also imagine that there are much better out there. After all, Wal-mart isn't known for their high end stuff.

A few points:

Foam surrounds aren't all that great. They degrade relatively quickly compared to butyl rubber and are somewhat stiffer as well, which introduces certain distortions.

The "crossover" is simply a capacitor put on the tweeter line, no crossover whatsoever on the "woofer" This is also far from ideal, but is the norm for such a system.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
They are better than dead stock, yes.

If you want some 'decent' speakers, without an amp, look into Infinity's Reference line.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
An aftermarket head unit will at least put out more than the stock head unit. (I believe I measured mine at a whopping 4.5W/channel RMS at 0.04% THD when I put it on the scope.) Even so, most aftermarket head units don't go that far into the double digits if you insist on having clean sound. Distortion kills speakers, even if you're well within their power handling capability.

I had a pair of speakers that were rated for 25W. I pushed them for years at 40W/channel RMS. Never a problem. Gave them to a friend who killed them running on an 18W/channel deck. Why? My amps are CLEAN. The deck power wasn't.

Home speakers are usually nice units, but they aren't made for automotive environments. The extremes in temperature and humidity make for a very nasty environment for a speaker to live in. Get automotive speakers for automotive use. Really.

There's nothing wrong with those Lightning Audio speakers, really. They're not going to be excellent, but they won't be bad, either. With the nasty acoustics in a car, the amount that you can really improve the sound past that is limited anyway. It's a law of diminishing returns, where it starts to cost a LOT more money for a LITTLE better sound. Those speakers are probably worth the money that you'll pay for them, just don't expect them to be worth a lot more.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have a yet-installed set of Kicker KS6.2 6" and KS5.2 5.25" component speakers. Basically four total speakers w/matching tweeters and crossovers. I received them and opened 'em up. But went with different sizes in my 91, than what I had already planned for the 90... making these a full spare set, intended for an MKIII. Been thinking about installing 'em in my Galant so as not to lose the investment, but am willing to part with.

I did get them from ebay at a lower cost than retail. Here are the specs...

KS5.2
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kick...17433/catOid/-15481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

KS6.2
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kick...17435/catOid/-15481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Jonsupra

Feb 19, 2012
Avondale
I have a 91 supra with no sound system at all, it was all removed by previous owner so I'm slowly repairing everything that was gutted out. I just ordered 4" for front doors cause that was all the info I could find on speaker sizes before I found this post. If I was to order 6" would the 4's fit in the center?