EXTRA POUNDS ON THE CT26

jcr2fast4u

7mlover
Jan 5, 2008
southern cali
hey i was just woundering if it's true that there's a trick to adding extra pounds to the stock wastegate on the stock ct26 turbo.if so how do you?

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
manual boost controller and a HKS FCD run 15-18psi and 3" exhaust. Supposedly not good for the ct26 but she holds even when pushing hot air up in the 25-30psi range. I know it is all hot air at those boost levels but I wanted to see if the ct26 would take it. I saw 33psi on my boost gauge once. The stock setup loves 15-18psi.

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
My first MKIII I ran it at 28psi daily!!!! That is before I realized the problems with HOT AIR after 18psi. I am sure that if you have upgraded intercooler and piping you should be able to run up to 22psi daily and be efficient about it.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I've actually ran 15 psi then 18 psi on a dyno to see the performance change. I actually saw a decrease In horsepower from adding 3 psi. Current setup Intake, 3" turbo back exhaust, MBC, Bypassed AFM on dyno only. Autometer Boost Gauge. The biggest difference from stock is N/A cams. This may have been the main problem with the hp decrease but i'm not sure.

15PSI

18PSI

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
hmmm, deff intrested to see what 20psi on a stock turbo would do w/ a decent upgraded FMIC.

i know the max eff. for the stock TD04 of my srt is about 18psi and i run 22psi with exceptional gains, some even run up to 24psi.

ill be doing some testing once i get this thing running.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
supraslo;913086 said:
manual boost controller and a HKS FCD run 15-18psi and 3" exhaust. Supposedly not good for the ct26 but she holds even when pushing hot air up in the 25-30psi range. I know it is all hot air at those boost levels but I wanted to see if the ct26 would take it. I saw 33psi on my boost gauge once. The stock setup loves 15-18psi.

:nono::nono:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supraslo;913127 said:
My first MKIII I ran it at 28psi daily!!!! That is before I realized the problems with HOT AIR after 18psi. I am sure that if you have upgraded intercooler and piping you should be able to run up to 22psi daily and be efficient about it.

IC & piping will have no effect with a CT26 above 16-18 psi...the incremental difference in CFM flow on this turbo above that (even 14 psi) will do little to increase HP. That is due to the volumetric capacity of the compressor housing itself. Higher psi does not equal higher HP...you need more flow, and that will require a new turbo ;)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What he said.

The stock CT26 just SHOULD NOT be pushed past 14 PSI. It's simply not worth it. You won't get more FLOW, just more heat. If you do go ahead and cool that extra heat with a better IC, then you don't get more manifold pressure anyway, since it's simply not moving more air.

14 PSI is what I've gathered is the commonly accepted limit on the CT26, before it just doesn't do any more good.

Upgrade to a 57 or 60-1 trim compressor wheel, and that's a different story.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dan_Gyoba;913271 said:
Upgrade to a 57 or 60-1 trim compressor wheel, and that's a different story.

True, but only to a point. The biggest benefit is boost (flow) will come on sooner, building the HP curve earlier in the power band. You will still hit the flow limit of the compressor housing in the 16-18 psi range.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
supraslo;913086 said:

kotu100;913108 said:
wonder if it can do 20psi on a day to day basis...

supraslo;913127 said:

kotu100;913184 said:
hmmm, deff intrested to see what 20psi on a stock turbo would do w/ a decent upgraded FMIC.

i know the max eff. for the stock TD04 of my srt is about 18psi and i run 22psi with exceptional gains, some even run up to 24psi.

ill be doing some testing once i get this thing running.

this thread is funny, and interesting at the same time :biglaugh: --> :3d_frown:

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
For people that say after 14 psi, stock ct-26 is past its efficiency, can you provide any evidence of that theory. Nobody has stock compressor map, as Toyota never release it. What I know is people that crank higher boost in stock ct 26 still gain horsepower. I crank mine to 17.5 psi and I got 380 whp although mine is 62-1 ct26. I'll believe it when I see cranking stock ct26 to higher boost level do not gain any more power.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I didn't say you wouldn't gain some HP...I said the incremental increase over 14 psi (on a stock CT26) is small. I've seen it on dyno data pushing them from the 12-14 psi level to the 16-18 psi level. Especially when you consider the strain you're putting on the turbo.

Evidence? Gee, and I've never seen any blown turbos after guys have pushed them to that level...granted, they were the original turbo and had not been re-built. Even on the modified CT26 turbos, shafts have snapped at the higher boost levels due to the larger wheels used.

As stated earlier, a modified CT26 is a different case...you'll get some additional boost at the top, but even it is going to run out due to the housing.

Feel free to believe what you want ;)

Piggity

Registered Abuser of Cars
Jan 31, 2008
Calgary
Most of the reason why it blows hot air at that psi is because of the stock cast turbo elbow. Huge restriction with that turbo elbow blocking the wastegate gases. I'd like to see the efficency range of the stock CT26 turbo with the 3.0L engine.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Piggity;915086 said:
Most of the reason why it blows hot air at that psi is because of the stock cast turbo elbow. Huge restriction with that turbo elbow blocking the wastegate gases. I'd like to see the efficency range of the stock CT26 turbo with the 3.0L engine.

Especially since the turbo recirculates the exhaust gas...just adds heat and makes the EGR unnecessary.

Dude

You have NFI what you're talking about.