Exploded Spec Stage 5 clutch, beware.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, not breaking the clutch in could very well of caused the failure.

Before a clutch is broken in, they don't like to slip at all, so if you did go an drag race on a new clutch, it's gonna grab...HARD, and like I said, something's gotta give.

You also have to remember that no matter how expensive, the clutch is STILL a reworked stock unit that was never meant to take this stress...

Main reason that I will go multiplate when I outgrow this clutch...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1056730 said:
Yes, not breaking the clutch in could very well of caused the failure.

Before a clutch is broken in, they don't like to slip at all, so if you did go an drag race on a new clutch, it's gonna grab...HARD, and like I said, something's gotta give.

You also have to remember that no matter how expensive, the clutch is STILL a reworked stock unit that was never meant to take this stress...

Main reason that I will go multiplate when I outgrow this clutch...

No...poodles...breaking in or not did not cause THIS at all.....he was running an unsprung disk there for it was designed not to slip at all....as I said before...the lack of break in didn't have anything to do with this

And just so you know...alot of clutches have chatter issues before break-in untill the friction surfaces mate....this particular clutch was meant to grab and hold with no potential to slip PERIOD....if you knew as much about clutches as you think you do you would know that oem disks are split down the middle with about .030" gap between the front and back of the disk, this gap has a metal spring plate inbetween that gets compressed when the pressure plate starts to put pressure down....THESE disks are designed to slip and mellow out enguagement....along with a sprung hub.........but the disk he used was a solid piece of steel that could not compress under enguagement and lacked a sprung hub.....

The only slip this clutch would ever see is if the driver has mad control of his foot....even 20,000 miles later!

What made this clutch fail is too much power, damn good tires, too much clutch dumps, and most of all an unsprung hub and lack of spring plate in the disk...

But what do I know I just have an n/a supra..!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I know all about that spring, and I don't have one in my 6 puck clutch.

I can slip the shit outta my clutch when I need to, but when I was first breaking it in it wouldn't want to slip AT ALL.

What I think is odd is the MKIV TT's stock clutch is designed much the same way with the three straps, but people run tons of power through those clutches without issues...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1056891 said:
I know all about that spring, and I don't have one in my 6 puck clutch.

I can slip the shit outta my clutch when I need to, but when I was first breaking it in it wouldn't want to slip AT ALL.

What I think is odd is the MKIV TT's stock clutch is designed much the same way with the three straps, but people run tons of power through those clutches without issues...

how much do mk4's weight......makes a HUGE difference in the amount of stress load put on the clutch...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gaboonviper85;1056906 said:
how much do mk4's weight......makes a HUGE difference in the amount of stress load put on the clutch...

3486lb for a turbo....vs 3600? for a MK3 I don't think that 3% is the straw thats breaking the camel's back...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
first off, the MKIV uses a solid hub, not sprung. and the flywheel in stock format is dual-mass. thats where the driveline dampening takes place. however its said that the stock flywheel is NOT to be resurfaced and re-used so people buy aluminum flywheels and RPS clutches as standard upgrades. you can tell a flywheel/clutch'ed MKIV if you listen for driveline clatter while its idling. its extremely pronounced if the car has any degree of misfire as well.

those pressure plate discs appear to have alot of heat checking and hot spots for only being 500 miles on them. looks like they wasted no time putting those clutches to work. id talk to southbend clutch. they make some nice clutches... including ones that hold 1600 lb/ft torque in diesel trucks similar to mine. ive seen 1-ton diesel duallies do 4th gear launches from a dig on a south bend twin disk; thats all the convincing i need :)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
flubyux2;1057737 said:
first off, the MKIV uses a solid hub, not sprung. and the flywheel in stock format is dual-mass. thats where the driveline dampening takes place. however its said that the stock flywheel is NOT to be resurfaced and re-used so people buy aluminum flywheels and RPS clutches as standard upgrades. you can tell a flywheel/clutch'ed MKIV if you listen for driveline clatter while its idling. its extremely pronounced if the car has any degree of misfire as well.

those pressure plate discs appear to have alot of heat checking and hot spots for only being 500 miles on them. looks like they wasted no time putting those clutches to work. id talk to southbend clutch. they make some nice clutches... including ones that hold 1600 lb/ft torque in diesel trucks similar to mine. ive seen 1-ton diesel duallies do 4th gear launches from a dig on a south bend twin disk; thats all the convincing i need :)

Indeed. First time I heard it I thought it was some crazy form of rod knock.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
you know it's strange my friend that did a 2jz swap mk3 broke 6 clutches every time the straps would go.

The first time he would shift hard from first to second or 2nd ot 3rd it would nuke the straps and we couldn't figure it out because he wasn't over reving, he wasn't shifting that hard and he didn't down shift or anything like that.

He ended getting an OS gilken.... I never ran in to that issue, I have a R154 with 1jz, but now i just put on a 2jz I pray tha the straps dont give me issues.... I didn't have any with the 7m or 1jz with this same RPS 3200 clutch.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
chevyeater;1056622 said:
I don't think any clutch company covers broken straps under warranty. They would go bankrupt...
i bought a competition clutch stage 4 6-puck and the straps broke 200 miles in and they replaced the whole kit sent to me overnight the next day even without recipits :)

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Poodles;1056891 said:

No, mk4s have plenty of issues with the straps too. I just got done changing another Getrag bellhousing after a strap flew threw it.

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
Zazzn;1057839 said:
you know it's strange my friend that did a 2jz swap mk3 broke 6 clutches every time the straps would go.

The first time he would shift hard from first to second or 2nd ot 3rd it would nuke the straps and we couldn't figure it out because he wasn't over reving, he wasn't shifting that hard and he didn't down shift or anything like that.

He ended getting an OS gilken.... I never ran in to that issue, I have a R154 with 1jz, but now i just put on a 2jz I pray tha the straps dont give me issues.... I didn't have any with the 7m or 1jz with this same RPS 3200 clutch.

man lucky ass, congrats on the 2jz.
I wish i had a 1jz..... do you still have it by chance lol

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
One car had a small single turbo that broke it just after 400 miles. The other car was a drift 240SX with 2JZ w/ stock twins, around 200 miles street driving and it broke at the first drift event. I'm pretty sure he doesnt use clutch kicks.