Excited New Guy

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I don't sleep at night surrounded.
I live in Grand Forks, with a population of 5000.
I hear them when they are on the other side of town. It's a good thing I'm deaf.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Ash;1216213 said:
I don't sleep at night surrounded.
I live in Grand Forks, with a population of 5000.
I hear them when they are on the other side of town. It's a good thing I'm deaf.

lol HAHAHA oh man I feel for yea. Anyways your right: It's not just a car, it's a Supra. Regardless of the engine.
You might try rocking the 1G for a while for learning how to drive the JDM like you said. That engine makes some decent power. I don't what products are available for it though since I have no experience with them.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I think parts availability will be a big factor for a lot of things. I've driven both the turbo and the n/a 7M before, and the 1G doesn't feel too much slower, if at all. I don't street race, so I am not going to notice the 20 HP difference. I've also read a couple dyno charts where a stock 1G puts around 218 HP to the wheels. Considering Toyota rates the 1G-GTEU at 210 at the crank, I won't complain. I've read they peak around 280 at the wheels with decent parts and money, but for that money I can buy a 1JZ and modify it.

Also, as far as I can find, only the Brits and Aussies got the 1G outside of Japan. It's a good thing I'm not putting the car on the road until May; I don't even know what kind of oil filter I need yet. But hey, learning new things is fun right?

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Ash;1216216 said:
I think parts availability will be a big factor for a lot of things. I've driven both the turbo and the n/a 7M before, and the 1G doesn't feel too much slower, if at all. I don't street race, so I am not going to notice the 20 HP difference. I've also read a couple dyno charts where a stock 1G puts around 218 HP to the wheels. Considering Toyota rates the 1G-GTEU at 210 at the crank, I won't complain. I've read they peak around 280 at the wheels with decent parts and money, but for that money I can buy a 1JZ and modify it.

Also, as far as I can find, only the Brits and Aussies got the 1G outside of Japan. It's a good thing I'm not putting the car on the road until May; I don't even know what kind of oil filter I need yet. But hey, learning new things is fun right?

Yea man sounds good. Your right the difference between the 7m and 1G is about 20 hp, but they both pull just as hard because one engine is a 3.0L and the other is a 2.0L, so you save some weight there. But when you get to the engine swap point, go for the 1jz it is a solid power-plant. They can handle a lot on the bottom end just like the 7m and 2jz. There are many turbo kits available, one I know of is with two gt-28 and can put your engine at about 600hp. Granted you gotta upgrade cooling, fuel, comp etc... but really skys the limit on supra engines. One thing though, don't get cocky thinking everything is a bolt on, cause it ain't lol. This ain't no honda where you can swap and engine/tranny in a day. G/L with it all. Cheers.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
For the Record.

Toyota Inline Six Engine Hierarchy

xJZ Series > xFZ Series > xM Series >/= xG Series > xF Series > xA Series > xB Series

Now Can We Stop With the ::dead horse::

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming these engines are new and in tip top shape. (I haven't seen a good 1JZ Come out of Japan in the last few years.) ;)