Excited New Guy

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Hi, my name is Ash and I live in Southern BC, Canada. After years of pining after a Supra I have finally bought one. I am now the pround owner of a JDM 1990 2.0L twin turbo, RHD.
She's white, with a factory widebody, lowered on Potenza dampers over 17" Boost-R wheels, and has a Fujitsubo Jasma can and a GREDDY turbo timer. I don't know yet if the motor has any internal mods yet. I am hoping to get the car dyno'd this spring. The best part is she only has 157000 kms (98000 miles) on the odometer.
I am not too familiar with the 1G-GTEU motor yet, but so far I love it. It sounds great with the Fuji can, revs pretty quick, and goes fast enough to keep me happy for a while. Having said that, I am trying to convince the wife to let me swap in a 1JZ next winter. Besides having more power, I think finding parts for the 1JZ in Canada is going to be far easier than finding parts for the 1G I currently have. Besides, based on the reasearch I done so far, it will be cheaper to swap a 1JZ than to spend the money to build the 1G to achieve 1JZ power.
There is only one problem: I am not putting the car on the road until spring and we are currently buried under 2 feet of snow. After waiting this long to finally buy a real car, this is probably going to be the longest winter I have ever seen.
I'll get some pictures on here soon, and I am looking forward to getting to know the SupraMania community.

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
Why didn't u just import a 1Jz supra? I would have been alot easier lol plus its RHD anyways. If i was u i would swap for the 2Jz, since they made factory RHD 1Jz supras. If u really want a 1Jz sell ur car and import one it would be easier and cheaper.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Welcome to supramania.Sounds like a sweet ride,don't hear of that motor very often.
P.S. somebody call Jay,that's 2 newbies in a week that form complete sentences,and use punctuation.:sarcasm:

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
EthanMKIII;1215253 said:
Why didn't u just import a 1Jz supra? I would have been alot easier lol plus its RHD anyways. If i was u i would swap for the 2Jz, since they made factory RHD 1Jz supras. If u really want a 1Jz sell ur car and import one it would be easier and cheaper.
I didn't import this one myself; the buyer did that about three years ago. He paid over nine thousand dollars at the time, and believe me, if I was spending that kind of money, it would have the 1JZ in it.
I bought this car for $3500, so even if I have to pay top dollar for a 1JZ swap, it will still be comparable to what it would cost me to import direct, and this way I don't have to spend 10 large up front. Besides, this way I can enjoy a unique motor til I blow it up (God forbid) or get bored. The 1G is kinda unique, at least in this part of the world so I would like to see what kind of fun I can have with it first, and it will make for some great experience and stories.
As much as I want a 2JZ, I don't think I can afford one at this point. It's easily twice as much as a 1JZ.
You might be right anyways, in the end. In a couple more years I may just sell this and import the right one. It'll likely cost the same, but be WAY easier.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
toy fanatic78;1215398 said:
P.S. somebody call Jay,that's 2 newbies in a week that form complete sentences,and use punctuation.:sarcasm:
It's a trend that is catching on with today's youth.........:biglaugh:
IJ.;1215405 said:
"Paragraphs" they're NOT just for Christmas..... :nono:

Paragraphs would be nice also, but we have to crawl before we can walk. Before you know it we'll be able to give infractions for poor sentence structure........:evil2:

Ash, Welcome to Supramania. Congrats on finally getting your dream car.
Luckily for you, your car is already turbo'd or you'd be able to use this inexpensive upgrade.
p1216023_1.jpg

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wassup Ash. I've always envied you as a child because of how you trained Pikachu. :yelrotflm j/k

Don't see too many 1G's MKIII's here, seems rear to me. Swapping in the Almighty 7M would be alot cheaping than swapping in a 1j. ;)

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Supra28;1216122 said:
Wassup Ash. I've always envied you as a child because of how you trained Pikachu. :yelrotflm j/k

Don't see too many 1G's MKIII's here, seems rear to me. Swapping in the Almighty 7M would be alot cheaping than swapping in a 1j. ;)

This guy has it right, 7m would be a good choice. Less money, good parts available, and there are a fair amount and parts in BC.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
SupraSportJack;1216183 said:
We are all for the 7M at Suprasport...welcome to SM, dont listen to the swap guys. You can get LOTS of power from the 7M

Yea with minimal mods and boost controller lol

Welcome to SM

I think I remember seeing that car for sale in Craigslist, if it is the same one it is very nice.

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
Well u can buy a desent 7m supra for 3grand in Bc plus the steering wheel will be on the left side, so swapping a 7m in wouldnt really be worth it. Seriously if ur going to do a swap go full out and go 2Jz.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
A 2jz swap would be good, but experience comes into play with supras. You can't just race into swaps when you haven't even learned on the basic engine. Since it is RHD I would try for a 1jz if swapping. 2jz is quality but a lot more work considering it never came in the ma70/ja70 body style.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Supra28;1216122 said:

The idea of a 7M has crossed my mind, but I'm still trying to figure out how much of a snob I am going to be, trying to keep the car JDM. I kinda want to be a snob, but I doubt I can afford that. However, 7M parts are available from my local Lordco, and then I don't have to wait years and years for parts. Believe me, no-one in this town will notice the difference. The tuner scene here is a half a dozen 1988 Hondas with mufflers so big I can sleep in them, and the requisite park bench bolted to the trunk while rockin' the 15" steel wheels.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Ash;1216210 said:
The idea of a 7M has crossed my mind, but I'm still trying to figure out how much of a snob I am going to be, trying to keep the car JDM. I kinda want to be a snob, but I doubt I can afford that. However, 7M parts are available from my local Lordco, and then I don't have to wait years and years for parts. Believe me, no-one in this town will notice the difference. The tuner scene here is a half a dozen 1988 Hondas with mufflers so big I can sleep in them, and the requisite park bench bolted to the trunk while rockin' the 15" steel wheels.

Just really think about what you want outta the engine and the most cost effective if your on a tight budget or even a bigger budget. I have however never seen a 7m in a JDM car before, I haven't even heard of it before. I am sure it has been done, but it would be rare. 1jz would be good too, and is even more stupidly easy to get power out of with a few upgrades.

HAHA 88 Honda fart-cans lol!! How do you sleep at night surrounded?

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
As far as the 1JZ vs the 2JZ swap, I am not looking for gobs of HP. I want something quick, but tractable. Also, the 1JZ should bolt right into my chassis with minimal work, based on the research I've done so far, as it was designed for it, but then so would the 7M

At this point I am so stoked to finally have a Supra that I am going to enjoy the 1G for what it is. The last thing I need is 300HP while I'm learning how to shift with the wrong hand, and sit on the wrong side of the car. I don't want to bin my dream car right after I finally buy one, just to satisfy an over-eager-ego.

Really, at the end of the day, a Supra is a Supra, regardless of what Toyota motor is under the hood.