Erratic timing

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
One day when I went to go start my car, I turn the key and it just turns over and over without spark. So I pull it into my shop and find its the CPS.

I got a used one from a Member here and put it on. It started right back up.

It idled rough and was misfiring. So I go to do the timing and its not going at a consistent rate. So I take it off again to make sure everything was TDC and make sure I'm putting the gear on the CPS in the right spot.

I try it again and same thing. The car is also running very rich.

Do I need to replace something else? Or did I still get the groove in the wrong spot?

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
Ok cool thats what I thought.

I ordered some NA wires so that I could move my coil packs from on top of the engine. But the connectors to the Distributer and the coil packs are different.

anyone know what kind of wires I can get to do this?

I know its been done alot.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
heavydrifter;1167512 said:
One day when I went to go start my car, I turn the key and it just turns over and over without spark. So I pull it into my shop and find its the CPS.

I got a used one from a Member here and put it on. It started right back up.

It idled rough and was misfiring. So I go to do the timing and its not going at a consistent rate. So I take it off again to make sure everything was TDC and make sure I'm putting the gear on the CPS in the right spot.

I try it again and same thing. The car is also running very rich.

Do I need to replace something else? Or did I still get the groove in the wrong spot?

i wouldn't waste your money on wires...one day it doesn't start, change your tps and starts right up..hmmm set your tps, was the plug jumpered when you set timing, codes, plugs going bad after a tps went out. seems odd i dont even think wires would effect timgin as much as the heat of the spark

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
dumbo;1168621 said:
i wouldn't waste your money on wires...one day it doesn't start, change your tps and starts right up..hmmm set your tps, was the plug jumpered when you set timing, codes, plugs going bad after a tps went out. seems odd i dont even think wires would effect timgin as much as the heat of the spark

Jumpered? the wire was sparking with out the spark plug on it.

It was reading a code 12 and wouldn't start. No RPM Signal if I remember correctly. So I reset the CPS and it started but runs rich. nad doesnt give a consistent spark.