EM's 1JZGTE MK3 BUILD HELP ME B4 SIV!!!!

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
What's up everybody!

Ok..........I have wanted a b00sted car for yearsssssssssssss. I finally got one. Check out my intro thread for a little bit of my background. This build is going to be a little slow, but always updated. I have TONS of unanswered questions, so please help if you can. I am open to suggestions and ideas and any info/advice. Please feel free to chime in. The more info, the better.

So...
I have a White 1991 Supra Turbo Targa Top. It has 153k on the odo. Not sure how many owners, still need to carfax the vin. I purchased it from a former supramania member about a month and a half ago. I decided to go with the 1jzgte because it seemed simple, and would get similar results with a 2jz, and cheaper. So I didn't do a ton of research on the motor, but I did research them. I went and purchased a 1jzgte from the same JDM supra. I bought it about 2 weeks after I got the car.

My goals are to get around 500 whp. I want it to be a track monster, but a weekend warrior in the streets. I am still unsure of the turbo setup. I really would like to keep the TT setup, since it's different, and I feel that they are a better choice, especially since it was built for TT. I am still unsure which route to go. I know EVERYBODY is single turbo, but I like to be different.

On to the build!!!

What came with the car:
91 White MK3
Burgundy Interior
White MK4 Front seats
2 Front MK4 Rims with 2 rear MK3 Sawblades (don't care since they will be changed later.)
7MGTE Intercooler with some piping (For sale if interested)
Blitz SBC iD
Blitz Boost Gauge
Blitz Nur Spec Catback exhaust
Some aftermarket cat that is supposed to be good but I forgot the name
SS brake lines all around
Powerslot rotors all around
R-154 Trans!

Motor:
JDM JZA70 1JZGTE
Igniter
Wiring harness
Blitz Accessport ECU

My exhaust has a dent in the tip. I don't have any good pics of it, but if you zoom in on the rear pics, you can see it a little bit. Anybody have any ideas on fixing that? Not going to replace the whole thing just because of the ding on the end. More pics soon.

Anyways.......................ON TO THE PICS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
I have a question. This car has sat outside for about 2 years I think. When moving the car from her old home to her new home, my dad hit the brake resevoir and it shattered due to the sun beating on it every day. So now I'm thinking I should probably replace some lines and other things that were exposed to the sun. What do you guys think?

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
Who wants to help me swap it?!?! I need all gaskets and seals. I'm moving soon, so the car will have more progress at the beginning of July.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Finallyb00sted;2006794 said:
I have a question. This car has sat outside for about 2 years I think. When moving the car from her old home to her new home, my dad hit the brake resevoir and it shattered due to the sun beating on it every day. So now I'm thinking I should probably replace some lines and other things that were exposed to the sun. What do you guys think?
replace brittle plastic, hard lines (like brake line) should be ok but I'd look over all the plastic bits like wiring connectors and holders

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd do an overall inspection. The hard lines should all be alright since this is not a common problem on our supra. On my mom's corolla those lines tend to rust and leak everywhere.

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
atmperformance;2008740 said:
replace brittle plastic, hard lines (like brake line) should be ok but I'd look over all the plastic bits like wiring connectors and holders

Sounds like I have myself a job haha. Thanks man.

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
akito;2008770 said:
I'd do an overall inspection. The hard lines should all be alright since this is not a common problem on our supra. On my mom's corolla those lines tend to rust and leak everywhere.

Ya I will do that. I think I might be better off replacing all hoses and plastic. There is no harness, so there is only one or 2 plugs for the fuse box. Thanks.

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
Getting the gasket set and getting ready to tear down the engine! Then I'm going to tear down the trans. Then I'll tear out the under-hood to clean and see what I need to replace, and possibly paint!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
If you have any questions about the swap let me know. I just finished my 1jz and I ran into a few problems myself, so might be able to save you some trouble. Good luck! Trust me the outcome is very worth it ;)

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
1990MA70;2016671 said:
If you have any questions about the swap let me know. I just finished my 1jz and I ran into a few problems myself, so might be able to save you some trouble. Good luck! Trust me the outcome is very worth it ;)

man I have questions for days haha! I appreciate it though. Acutally, I'm going to post some pics tonight and ask some questions. I'd appreciate your help GREATLY! thanks!

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
Alright progress time....

Picked up this hood:

And this legit keychain from somebody on here:

And this timing belt:

And a wiring harness from a 90 auto turbo:

And a gasket/seal kit:

Original packaging (thanks USPS):

Started with this:

To this (Which took 3 hours! SOOOOOOOO many nuts and bolts!):

See the rust on the paint? I think there was a metal bracket there, holding the emblem center piece, but it disintegrated. I'll have to take a pic of what was left. It was bad.

The rust made me break some bolts:

Intercooler kit off (horsepower freaks kit, for sale):

My Blitz BOV (Weather got the best of her, hopefully I can re-chrome it or something.) What do you guys think? Can it be restored?:

What is this black piece? Looks like a trans cooler? I see the oil cooler on the right (not in this pic):

Here's what the bay looks like (1 year of no hood, parked outside.):

Broke this while moving, it was super brittle:

I have some questions, some might be noobish, please try to help me understand.:
What is that black cooler thing? I'm assuming trans cooler. Do I need it? I know it's kind of noobish. I just want to make sure.
Do I need the oil cooler?
There are certain things that rusted more than others, and based on the brittle brake fluid reservoir, what should I consider replacing?
What can I eliminate out of the bay to make room and make it look cleaner? I know A/C, P/S, but I want P/S. A/C will be gone. I see the canister, is there a way to eliminate that? There's so many lines everywhere.
The lines that have the clamps on them are the gas lines I believe. Do I need to replace those lines or siphon the old gas?
My steering column is really rusted, what should I do? Is it useable? I'm kind of worried about the amount of rust.
More pics and work soon....Thanks guys!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
I know there is a "black cooler thing" in front of the rad for the power steering. I got rid of mine... but since you wont be running ps then whatever. I kept the stock 1jz oil cooler though some don't. Also threw out the carbon can on my swap. I also got rid of the old fuel pump relay and ran my own 12v off the ignition for the pump. I also have a inertia safety switch hooked up to the pump so if i get into and accident it wont go up in flames, it will just stop the pump. But that's just being cautious. As for rusted or brittle parts, my car has low km so i wont be of too much help there hahaha sorry.

You can also clean up wiring depending on what route you want to take with mounting the ecu. Some re locate and some extend the harness to fit the factory position. Myself, I cut a hole in the firewall next to the speedo cable and put the ecu under my radio. Didn't even have to touch the ecu harness wiring, and the main harness is no where to be found in the engine bay ;)