egr gasket at the back of the head

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
bryanintexas;914924 said:
I can attest to that.

"scott" - how did you get it to pass the dyno w/o it in Harris county?!?:aigo:

yeah really, put that egr valve and cat(s) back on, I am from dallas and I can smell houston from here!

(j/k, i dont run a cat, im just a hippi trying to stur the pot)

Piggity

Registered Abuser of Cars
Jan 31, 2008
Calgary
I'm taking mine off on the new engine. Seems to be a source of BHG on turboed engines, aswell as the N/A's if you're driving hard enough. The turbo recirculates the exhaust gases anyway.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Piggity;915073 said:
I'm taking mine off on the new engine. Seems to be a source of BHG on turboed engines, aswell as the N/A's if you're driving hard enough. The turbo recirculates the exhaust gases anyway.

That's why I BHG'd and what that blower thing is for? Darned.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...no effect whatsoever on EGT, detonation, or emissions...especially since the turbo recirculates the exhaust gas.

LOL

:biglaugh:

Piggity

Registered Abuser of Cars
Jan 31, 2008
Calgary
No emmisions here in this province, so straight 3" with no egr and maybe a dumpipe for the wastegate (who am I kidding, I want to hear right in another 10 years).

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
I didnt think it was as much of a big deal as some say. Only things i took off were the valve covers. I then, used a 1/4" breaker and a cheap 10mm socket i bought specifically to grind down to about half of its original length to allow the breaker with it on it to fit between the head and the firewall. After that it was a combination of this tool and the "finger" wrench to get the bolts started that did it but I have really long skinny fingers (lol) so that might have helped. I accessed all the bolts from the passenger side of the car without taking off any of the other EGR equipment except the cooler. Just another option for you.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
sogi99;902972 said:
Any of you guys change this gasket with the head attach to the block? Or, do I need to pull the head again, my mistake of not changing while the head was out. I appreciate you guys input in this matter.

I just pulled mine off today. I jacked up the ass end of the car, unbolted the tranny mount, lifted the transmission slightly (gave me about 1/2' more room) and went to work. I used a flexhead 10mm Gearwrench ratcheting wrench, and a 10mm Gearwrench socket (it snaps into your Gearwrench wrench to make it a ratchet) that was nice and shallow, and TA-DA! 20 minutes and some patience and I was done. No removing of the coolant hoses or valve covers. I do however have the upper intake off for another reason, so that helped. As well as my harness out (swapping in a new one).