egr gasket at the back of the head

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
Any of you guys change this gasket with the head attach to the block? Or, do I need to pull the head again, my mistake of not changing while the head was out. I appreciate you guys input in this matter.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I bet you could do it with the head in the car. I vaguely remember doing something with it a while back with the engine still intact.

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
haha egr cooler gasket...

It IS possible, kind of a pain but i made up a tool that makes the job WAY easier...

because i couldnt fit my liltle snap-on 1/4" drive ratchet (trust me its little) with a shallow 10mm between the head and the firewall, i simply took an old crafstman 1/4" drive 10mm socket and a short bolt (i think it was 13mm) and i pressed the bolt into the drive of the socket.now all you have to to is put the socket on the bolt and use a wrench, which will fit, to remove the bolts...the tricky part is finding a bolt short enough and fat enough to fit into the drive snugly and not come loose...i used a vice to press the bolt into the socket.i can maybe find it and take a picture but i doubt i will find it ...

cleaning the gasket area is a bitch to...but be patient with this...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Take the trans mount loose from the cross member, and jack the back of the trans. up. It'll give you a little more room between the head and firewall.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It can be done. I used the same method as ilikebigbutts. The difference in my case was buying a set of 3 wrench/socket adapters for something like 6 bux. Handy tools they are.

Throw something over the top of the engine so you can lay on it...

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
thanks for all the reply at least i know its been done I will try to decipher which combo or trick is the easiest I order the gasket today through toyota it should be here by thursday or friday.

I also had to replace mine once, and the tip given to was the following:

-Remove the valve covers.
-Raise the front of the car and place on stands.
-Put a jack under the center engine cross member and loosen the 4 polts and 2 nuts (or something like that) from the member and drop it to its max (suspension and stearing components reach their full extension)
-Put a board across top of engine and lay on it as you work on the EGR cooler.

You should be able to get at the bolts with conventional tools now.
BTW, put some light locknut on the bolts when you put them back to prevent then from getting loose and causing a leak.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
thanks for the tip. thelonerider your method will be my last resort if this doesn't pan out just doing without dropping the crossmember I will try to unbolt the cross member from transmission and jack the tranny to tilt forward will see thanks for all your help guys will probably tackle this today after I get off work

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
If I recall correctly. I removed the egr completely.... And it still passes inspection... How many people have their removed?

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
GrimJack;904166 said:
Doesn't pass here... there's no visual, but you won't pass the dyno check without it.

I can attest to that.

"scott" - how did you get it to pass the dyno w/o it in Harris county?!?:aigo: