eFFeT's Swedish Powered Supra MKIII

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
fantastic work! thanks so much for the explanation.

I'm slowly becoming an engineering and we've been experimenting with foam to make carbon fiber parts. the rope is a fantastic idea!

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
I had to solder some parts on the engine management unit. (VEMS v3.3) :
pict5330ut1.jpg

This is my oil pan:
insug009bh4.jpg

Because I'm short on money I had to buy a used clutch. So the splines didn't fit the supra-splines. This is how fixed that problem.

This is what's left of an original disc. I just machined out the center splines from it and cut it in 3. (sorry for the bad quality)
kopplingform004tg8.jpg

Machined out the splines on the Tilton discs.
kopplingform003vj1.jpg

And squeezed the supra splines in place
kopplingform013xw3.jpg

kopplingform014tl6.jpg

kopplingform015kz4.jpg

kopplingform016gm0.jpg

Then I TIG-welded the parts together.

BTW... Thanks for all the nice feedback!!:icon_bigg

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Amazing project.
This DIY effort is comparable to the best that have been demonstrated on this forum.
Thanks for sharing.

Only thing of value I think I may add is to realy consider ditching the dual Walbro fuel pump setup which is potentially unreliable and risky, and instead reconsider a single pump external or intank that is properly matched for your anticipated horse power goal.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Holy shit. It's rare that I'm completely astounded by someone new here. You, sir, get the prize for that one.

Everyone else should take note - this is how you do R&D work. This and you have to be prepared to toss a few prototypes when they don't match up to your expectations!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
its getting better and better

with your skills im surprised you are low on money ;) could do some custom CF work and make a few bucks here and there :biglaugh:

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
BlackDevilSupra;984163 said:
Amazing project.
This DIY effort is comparable to the best that have been demonstrated on this forum.
Thanks for sharing.

Only thing of value I think I may add is to realy consider ditching the dual Walbro fuel pump setup which is potentially unreliable and risky, and instead reconsider a single pump external or intank that is properly matched for your anticipated horse power goal.

The dual Walbro pumps is just temporary, when I get more time and money I've been thinking about building something like this:

tankrr0.gif

And under 1 bar MAP I just run one Walbro pump and one Borsch pump and over 1 bar MAP it switches on the other 2 as well. This way I don't add so much heat to the fuel... maybe... I don't know :icon_bigg

The switching on and off fuel pumps may give pressure changes in the fuel rail but they will be compensated in the EMS by adjusting the injector time opening.

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
When I already shown off some of my paint skillz I might as well continue. :icon_bigg

Original the Supra Turbo has a pressure released bybass valve on the oil filter assembly. This valve opens at around 3-4 bar and passes the excess oil through the oil/air cooler. I wanted to use this parallel with an oil/water cooler. This way I use the heat from the radiator fluid to get the oil that goes in to the engine heated fast and it will never be any higher than the water temp nether. :icon_bigg
If I wouldn't have an oil/air cooler all the excess heat from the oil/water cooler will be transfered on the radiator instead.

This is my setup:
oljaengsi4.gif

This is the oil/water cooler:
grenror004hd6.jpg

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
tlo86;984885 said:
thermostat controlled?

No. The only thermostat in the system is the original that goes to the radiator. The oil/water cooler keeps the oil temp at 85-90 degrees Celsius under all driving conditions. (As long as the water temp is around 85-90)

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
Amontgomery;988288 said:
Glorious!

I am curious to see how you manage to run your piping from your turbos to your intercooler.

It´s 2 x 2 inch piping from the turbos that merges to one 3 inch pipe right before the intercooler.
tryckror005rj7.jpg

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
That is a good idea to run around the tower like that. I like your idea for a carbon fibre plenum and intake runners as well, though if I were doing it I would have mounted the throttle body on a bracket from the tower and connected it with silicone hose connectors to the carbon fibre plenum instead of down by the intercooler just to reduce throttle response a little. But as long as it works for you thats all that matters.

I am toying with the idea of a twin CT26 setup oneday so I am very interested in how your project turns out.

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
Amontgomery;988846 said:
That is a good idea to run around the tower like that. I like your idea for a carbon fibre plenum and intake runners as well, though if I were doing it I would have mounted the throttle body on a bracket from the tower and connected it with silicone hose connectors to the carbon fibre plenum instead of down by the intercooler just to reduce throttle response a little. But as long as it works for you thats all that matters.

I am toying with the idea of a twin CT26 setup oneday so I am very interested in how your project turns out.

I don't think its gonna do any difference, this puts the throttle body just 15 cm further from the plenum.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Oh, thats not bad. I was thinking it was going to be down in the front bumper just by seeing the intercooler with the mount on it. I didn't look carefully enough in other pictures. Have you run it?