Edit: I'd like a large chocolate milkshake

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1;924435 said:
It's possible that it isn't...there are coolant plugs down in the spark plug valleys that have been known to leak from time to time...plus the valve covers love to leak oil down there...so they could both be leaking and mixing together, creating milkshake.

If there is no sign of coolant in the sump, then it's possible that you don't have a BHG...

Well my valve cover gaskets are brand new and so are the bolts on the VC's. People say you should notice discoloration on the dipstick and on the oil cap, and I haven't noticed either, so maybe it's just those coolant plugs. No idea where the oil would have come from though... maybe from before I replaced the VC gaskets. How do I go about replacing the plugs? If you don't feel like explaining, is it in the TSRM?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
There are little plugs in the spark plug valley. Pull the cover off (4 14mm hex bolts IIRC) and clean it out, then you'll see them. Impossible to miss them

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Quin;924484 said:
There are little plugs in the spark plug valley. Pull the cover off (4 14mm hex bolts IIRC) and clean it out, then you'll see them. Impossible to miss them

Sounds good, thanks. Turkey baster time. Well actually, is there a more effecient way to clean it out?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1;924606 said:
Just take off the third valve cover, it is secured by 4 large hex bolts as Quin said...then you will be able to soak up the oil with paper towels.

I understood him about takin it off. I just wanted to see if there was a more effecient way to get the oil out of there. Paper towels it is. Thanks for the help guys.

kyle1jzsupra

Sep 17, 2007
fort worth
no dude rags or paper towels

then a medicine dropper from the medicine section at wal mart it works flawless the turkey baster is too big of an opening

the way i know is because i had oil n the valley from the vcs leakin

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
bountykilla0118;923435 said:
Good dealer cap check.... How about thermostat, fan shroud, and fan clutch?

Personally I have loud a fan that roars like a Mack 10 truck lol i have my fan custom made ummm well really its welded and it pulls max CFM all the time in the summer and i put my normal one on during the winters :)

Yea yea yea .... It supposed to be able to ease up on the CFM's but oh well and in the mid summer i dont use a thermostat and my MPG's didn't suffer at all really.

^ Probably not the best one to take advice from, boys and girls.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1;924860 said:
Also, what did you torque your VC bolts to? They require VERY little torque...about 2lbs/ft IIRC, 22in/lb to be exact...

Well I didn't unleash 800 lbs/ft on em or anything. I hand tightened em to where the rubber of the seal washers was visibly being pressed down.