Edit: I'd like a large chocolate milkshake

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
What could be the cause? I just replaced my radiator cap yesterday cause I thought the old one might be faulty. Other than that, I'm lost. No overheating, no white smoke, nothing. I searched and only found threads about symptoms... didn't find anything about what it meant to have only one symptom.

Edit: It's gonna be a fun next couple of weeks.

...So I go outside this morning and my car's running really weird. Then it kinda smooths out but idles at 1500-2000, somewhere in there. I'm like "wow, this kinda reminds me of that time when my car only ran on 5 cylinders". So I take out the number 1 plug wire and HOLY SH$%#$^@#%^#@$% omgwtf someone spilled a Jack in the Box shake all up in my plug valleys. It was deep enough to cover the plugs almost up to the valley cover. Number 6 wasn't as deep but it was still there. Well, I better start workin more hours.

Last edited:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1;922409 said:
Does it do it while you're driving? Or once you turn the car off?

It's usually when I turn the car off or when I'm stopped after driving for a while. I'm thinkin there are probably a few bubbles in my coolant that I haven't gotten rid of yet?

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
it might be getting hotter than you think. i've had my a/c over-ride fans come on with the gauge barely over the half way mark

do the compr test , as well as a hydrocarbon test for the coolant

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My car also did this because my fan clutch was weak, and not locking up properly...and I know it didn't have a BHG, because I had just replaced the head gasket. (the fan clutch was probably the reason it blew in the first place, ugh)

Do you hear the fan roaring when the car is hot?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Good dealer cap check.... How about thermostat, fan shroud, and fan clutch?

Personally I have loud a fan that roars like a Mack 10 truck lol i have my fan custom made ummm well really its welded and it pulls max CFM all the time in the summer and i put my normal one on during the winters :)

Yea yea yea .... It supposed to be able to ease up on the CFM's but oh well and in the mid summer i dont use a thermostat and my MPG's didn't suffer at all really.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
The only time the fan should roar is when you are standing still and the fan clutch hits a predetermined temp. Your fan essentially does nothing for you when you are moving more than 5mph iirc

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
bountykilla0118;923435 said:
Good dealer cap check.... How about thermostat, fan shroud, and fan clutch?

Personally I have loud a fan that roars like a Mack 10 truck lol i have my fan custom made ummm well really its welded and it pulls max CFM all the time in the summer and i put my normal one on during the winters :)

Yea yea yea .... It supposed to be able to ease up on the CFM's but oh well and in the mid summer i dont use a thermostat and my MPG's didn't suffer at all really.

No idea about the thermostat's condition... probably the 20-year-old stock part. How would that cause the overflow to... overflow though? Also, how would I go about checking the condition of my fan clutch? I'm really wondering if that's the problem or not.

Haha you welded yours? Doesn't that ever get annoying after a while of hearin the constant whine? Sounds like a pretty sick idea, but I don't think I could deal with that sound all the time. It'd drown out my SSQV.:cry:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1;924394 said:
Does the underside of your oil cap have the same milkshaky substance on it?

Nope, and my coolant's bright green too. :icon_surp Are you saying it might not be blown?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
87mgte;924431 said:
Nope, and my coolant's bright green too. :icon_surp Are you saying it might not be blown?

It's possible that it isn't...there are coolant plugs down in the spark plug valleys that have been known to leak from time to time...plus the valve covers love to leak oil down there...so they could both be leaking and mixing together, creating milkshake.

If there is no sign of coolant in the sump, then it's possible that you don't have a BHG...