Dude....what's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Recently, I bought a Rockford Fosgate Power T1500 car audio amplifier and installed it in my truck. It is powering 2 Polk EX 4 ohm 12" subwoofers that are about 10 years old, they were my bro's subs they sat in my basement for 9 of those 10 years. They are wired in parallel at 2 ohms. Spec sheet for the amp at 2 ohms is 1237 watts X 1. 1 ohm it is 1832 watts X 1. Yes this shit pounds.

I really don't care about the subs BUT whenever I turn it up like enough to hear me coming a minute away, I get this fucking smell my buddy calls it "ozone" and it is coming from my subs, definitely not the amp or wiring.

What is this smell?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TooGoode;1254238 said:
right and you cant put the smoke back in......haha

Can if you're a professional ;)

department_56_general_village_accessories_no_box_P0000240872S0289T2.jpg

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
It's strange, it will only stink on certain songs/artists.

I took them out of the boxes and sealed the shit out of them so I can minimize my exposure to the toxic plume.

I guess I got what I wanted, I walked into the audio store and told the owner, "I want to buy an amp", he said "Ok, what do you want to do with it?" I said "break stuff and piss people off."

I'm breaking my own stuff and pissing myself off.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
New problem: Now I get major feedback through the subs with the radio or CD on at any volume including 00 volume. I Triple checked all wiring, chassis ground, isolated circuits to check for shorts to ground ended up with NOTHING. It is an old kenwood at least 10 years old.

So I switched it with my brothers newer kenwood and bingo its good. Now I just hope I don't destroy his radio also.

On another note, only one person threatened to call the cops on me so far, it was at a stop light in the middle of a snow storm. Guy was pissssssed!!! He pulls over like he was having a heart attack, waved his hands out the window, I pull up to see what the problem is and he's yelling GO AHEAD, SO I CAN GET YOUR PLATE NUMBER!!!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ lol

People are funny. :evil2: I'd only be pissed if I was in a traffic jam next to someone for a long time and they insisted on playing their music really loud... as long as traffic is moving, whatever.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Rant incoming.

"I listen to rap music.. at every stoplight."

I work at the front of a building fairly close to the road, in a cubicle farm, and most of the front of the building is windows. Whenever some idiot drives by with his music loud enough to share with the county, it really resonates and pounds the windows. It is especially a treat when someone decides to wait in line for the drive-up teller at the bank next-door, or one of the food places across the street. It is extremely irritating at best, disruptive and uncourteous at worst. The dirty looks you get isn't because they think your antics are cute or funny - it is because you are disruptive and disrespect others. Hell, well below those volumes, your hearing is affected or permanently damaged, so it is evident that you don't even respect yourself. In reality, most of the time you are breaking the law. You even admitted that you WANT to break stuff and piss people off. I don't know about your local laws or ordinances, but where I live the music levels angered me so much that I looked it up:

"Chapter 93: Noises.
93.01 "It shall be unlawful for any person to create or assist in creating any unreasonably loud and disturbing noise in the City."
93.04 Noises Prohibited; Nuisances.
(A) General prohibitions. It shall be unlawful to create, cause, or allow the continuance of any unreasonably loud, disturbing, or frightening noise, particularly during nighttime, which substantially interferes with neighboring businesses and/or residents reasonable use and enjoyment of their properties.
(B)(7) Motor vehicle speakers or other speakers located in or on a motor vehicle.
Operating or permitting the operation of any speaker or sound in or on a motor vehicle in such a manner that the sound therefrom is in excess of the maximum decibel level described in this section when registered on a sound level meter twenty-five (25) or more feet from the motor vehicle."
93.07 Motor Vehicle Noise.
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to drive, operate, move, or permit to be driven, operated or moved, a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles at any time in such a manner that the sound level of the vehicle or combination of vehicles exceeds seventy-five (75) dB measured at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet from the nearest lane(s) being monitored and at a height of at least four feet above the immediate surrounding surface.

Your city/county/state may vary.

Most of the time these cars are a minimum of 100 feet from where I sit [the ones across the street are two small parking lots and four lanes of traffic split by a large median away], and their bass rattles for so loud and long that it becomes a distractor. What about their, or your, music is SO good that there is a need to share it with everyone in a 5 block radius? There is a huge difference between listening to some tunes to have a good time while cruising, and cranking your music so loud that you are ignorant and disrespectful of other people and the law.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
drunk_medic said:
What about their, or your, music is SO good that there is a need to share it with everyone in a 5 block radius?

Because I have no respect for the people that make or enforce the laws in this country.

Because I can not control what other people do, I can only control what I do.

See all that huffing and puffing you do in the political section bitching about this country and where it's headed? Yeah, well I actually go out and do something about it by diminishing the quality of life of everyone I can come into contact to. Just like all the motherfucks that fucked this country up and diminished my quality of life. I make them the victim, I'm done with being a victim. I am the administer of audible misery.

Everytime I wake up and have to go to work, deal with some fuck on the street, that pain that I feel I want the whole world to feel by making their life miserable by pounding my shit while they sit in their home they didn't pay for or didn't work hard enough to deserve.

I'm fed the fuck up, that's why.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
So you spent money on a loud car stereo system to make a political statement? Even entertaining the idea that you did that for this absurd reason, I can assure you that you're not "sticking it to the man" - you are part of the problem.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Im 22 and I don't understand the whole bumping crap, its bad for your ears, it makes you look like a 15 yr old wanna be, I mean to each his own but to me its not worth the money or hassle all I want to hear when I am driving is the sound of spool

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
thedave925;1269573 said:
There is unexplainable joy in knowing your irritating the shit out of someone with your music, even with your windows up ;)
Encore! lol

Until that someone takes it to the next level and you're sitting there wondering what the fuck just happened.

I thought this kind of shit cool when I was 16.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
my radio is almost never on while i drive........maybe im weird.

but yea like they said your burning your shit up and its only happening on some songs because some songs bump harder. your pushing them way too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.